Guy's burgers

airdale

12 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

If they are preparing large but flat patties of ground beef on a flat top it will be difficult to get a true medium rare/medium (pink in the middle) because they cook so quickly.  If your ship happens to have thicker patties then you would have more luck.

especially putting a 2 pound weight on the pressed burger.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:56 PM, john91498 said:

I've asked for a double cheese burger cook medium and have always received what I asked for.

They can nod and wink, but Guy's burgers are cooked through as required by most health departments. even Red Robin does not cook pink burgers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, evandbob said:

I can't believe that Guy's Burgers (38%) eked out the Steakhouse (37%) in the recent poll Carnival took with their slot spin promotion.  Basically a statistical tie, but Guy's is an dining experience now?  Jeez!

The question was posed as what is your favorite dining experience.  The Sea Shack was a distant 3rd place finisher.

With cruise discussion, there's always a chunk of people who think everyone wants 5 star dining at every turn. I just don't think that's practical to the average person. The steakhouse is a fantastic venue if you want something a little upscale. Personally, give me some good burgers and tacos in the sun and fun, and I'm quite content.

I eat a lot of burgers, and I can honestly say these are solid offerings, especially for being mass-produced. Sure ingredient for ingredient, you can find something better elsewhere, that's always going to be a thing. From the seasons, to the options, to even the quality, they are darned good. I would say they better than the burger I'd get from the average restaurant. Sure my pile of jalapenos and bacon may skew that, but who cares? It's tough to do a one-size fits all for everyone, but they come close.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

With cruise discussion, there's always a chunk of people who think everyone wants 5 star dining at every turn. I just don't think that's practical to the average person. The steakhouse is a fantastic venue if you want something a little upscale. Personally, give me some good burgers and tacos in the sun and fun, and I'm quite content.

This pretty much sums it up.  Not everyone is interested in a fancy meal while cruising.  Many people enjoy specialty restaurants while cruising and they are a huge part of their cruising experience.  Other people are fine with quicker options.  The same goes for other aspects of cruising.  Some people desire balconies and suites and others are content with inside cabins.

My husband and I cruise to relax and have fun. He likes Guy's burgers and the toppings and I really like the food at Blue Iguana.  We both like the deli.  We aren't interested in upscale dining or spending 1 1/2 hours on a meal while cruising.  Vacationing is different for everyone. I know some people are surprised that not everyone seeks the same experience that they do.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, coevan said:

They can nod and wink, but Guy's burgers are cooked through as required by most health departments. even Red Robin does not cook pink burgers.

The almighty, great & powerful @coevan has spoken!! No Carnival passenger will ever receive a medium rare Guy's burger....

wizardofozpic.jpg

🍔

• Like 1

OK where do I start?  The burger photos...WOW...somewhere there is a burger I guess?  I enjoy grilled onions and mushrooms on a double MEDIUM (PINK IN THE MIDDLE) cheeseburger with either mayo or thousand island dressing.  Or a creamed cheese jalapeno sauce.  I have trouble enough with just a double/cheese patty and a couple of other things on top keeping the buns together and everything not spilling out onto my plate.  Hopefully not on me.

FYI you CAN get a MEDIUM cooked burger at Red Robin because I ALWAYS order mine that way and it will come out with a little marker marked MED and it is pink in the middle.  Try it and see.  

Now I am off to put in a new topic under Port Canaveral and ask where to stay one night pre cruise with a handicap room and two nights post cruise HC also.  

But I'll be back!  Don

On 2/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, clo said:

Burger meat requires a decent amount of fat but that should be on the inside of the burger. If it's on the outside I'm guessing it's been sitting in grease on the grill. We grind our own meat so kinda know our way around this subject just a tad 🙂

I have to say that I don't ever recall seeing a Guy's burger sitting in grease too long on the grill.  They go pretty fast and don't really have time to sit.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, TNcruising02 said:

This pretty much sums it up.  Not everyone is interested in a fancy meal while cruising.  Many people enjoy specialty restaurants while cruising and they are a huge part of their cruising experience.  Other people are fine with quicker options.  The same goes for other aspects of cruising.  Some people desire balconies and suites and others are content with inside cabins.

My husband and I cruise to relax and have fun. He likes Guy's burgers and the toppings and I really like the food at Blue Iguana.  We both like the deli.  We aren't interested in upscale dining or spending 1 1/2 hours on a meal while cruising.  Vacationing is different for everyone. I know some people are surprised that not everyone seeks the same experience that they do.

That pretty much sums myself up right there. Eight cruises and only been to the MDR three times (two times I was forced). I’m just not into spending all that time on a meal when it’s basically the same food at the buffet. To each there own. 

• Like 4

WOW!  8 cruises and ONLY 3 times in the MDR??  I LOVE the lobster, fillets, prime rib, shrimp, escargot, and all the other premium meats.  I can make a meal just out of the appetizers and meat.  The breads, salads or desserts I can take them or leave them.  So at dinner most every night you can find me in the MDR.

During a cruise, maybe once or twice in the MDR for breakfast or lunch.  The rest of the time...topside for my food.

We booked our first cruise with a veranda deck.  LOVED IT!  We ordered room service most days for a certain time and sat on the open deck of our cabin...ate our food and drank our drinks in our night clothes.  We have always booked a veranda cabin since with the same morning ritual.  But as you said...not everyone wants nor likes the same things.

We have never tried any specialty restaurants mainly because I can get the meals I desire in the MDR.  Don

8 hours ago, Slacktide said:

That pretty much sums myself up right there. Eight cruises and only been to the MDR three times (two times I was forced). I’m just not into spending all that time on a meal when it’s basically the same food at the buffet. To each there own. 

not even close, to each there own

23 hours ago, Slacktide said:

I don't recall seeing Broiled Maine Lobster Tail or Seared Striped Bass at the buffet.

SERK, totally agree! Yes sir, non of those premium proteins on the buffet line that I have ever seen.  But for every cruiser that avoids the MDR at night means more great eats for us.  

Now back to Guy's burgers.

Guy has his saying of "WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!"  I wonder when along with the burgers and the smoked meats...WHEN they will putting a premium chicken place on board?  Don

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, airdale said:

Ha, ha, ha, ha!  WOW, I never even considered that this topic would get the reactions and comment this topic has gotten!  Reminds me of the "days of old" when someone asked about jeans in the dining room or shorts on dress up night.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

I WILL request two (2) "MEDIUM" cooked burgers fresh off the grill.

RADIANCE CRUISE THIS THANKSGIVING!

50 years ago I used to grill my burger "RARE" and then 30 to 40 years ago I started grilling my burgers "MEDUIM RARE", but now days I grill a medium burger (pink in the middle and juicy) and request the same when I am out.

I love burgers!  Don

You'll get a turkey burger! Happy Thanksgiving.

On 2/24/2020 at 4:45 PM, happylittlefamily said:

Btw, they are pretty much fast food.  Maybe a step above, but definitely not a burger you would get at Outback or Chili's.   They are good, but expect greasy and cheesy on a buttered grilled bun.  They are decent burgers and were preferable over the options on the Lido buffet most afternoons. 

They reminded me of a burger you would get at Steak and Shake.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, airdale said:

SERK, totally agree! Yes sir, non of those premium proteins on the buffet line that I have ever seen.  But for every cruiser that avoids the MDR at night means more great eats for us.  

Now back to Guy's burgers.

Guy has his saying of "WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!"  I wonder when along with the burgers and the smoked meats...WHEN they will putting a premium chicken place on board?  Don

We were on the Horizon earlier this month and my son saw a striped bass entree at the buffet one night. He can't remember the exact name of it, though, but remembers striped bass because he had wanted to try it in the MDR. Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider it "premium" chicken, but the Radiance and Mardi Gras are getting Shaq's "Big Chicken" restaurant.

• Like 1

First off, coevan's wrong about Red Robin. They will most certainly make a burger with pink in the middle. I've had plenty of them.

I only had Guy's Burgers three times out of our 8-day cruise earlier this month aboard Horizon. It was by far the worst Guy's burgers I've had to date. I couldn't even finish my last one, only ate about half. I used to love those burgers, but they've gotten consistently worse on every cruise. Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Pretty close 

My friend, I knew you would respond. I was actually going to tag you to say I did enjoy the Guy’s Burgers a lot. I didn’t like them more than the burgers on Princess but I thought they were good and better than other lines. With that said, the better overall experience in my opinion is Johnny Rockets on Royal.

At least Johnny Rockets will let you have an onion ring without getting it premade on a specific burger.

Edited by xDisconnections

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

First off, coevan's wrong about Red Robin. They will most certainly make a burger with pink in the middle. I've had plenty of them.

I only had Guy's Burgers three times out of our 8-day cruise earlier this month aboard Horizon. It was by far the worst Guy's burgers I've had to date. I couldn't even finish my last one, only ate about half. I used to love those burgers, but they've gotten consistently worse on every cruise. Very disappointing.

Same here, red robin here always asks - "some pink or no pink", basically asking medium or well.

14 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Your right, medium at the best. I also agree on Guy's, pressed and cooked to death

55 minutes ago, coevan said:

Your right, medium at the best. I also agree on Guy's, pressed and cooked to death

I have commented about this before. They have went to the dumps. "SQUASH & BURN" should be their motto. I am not exaggerating on this. On one cruise they were so thin and burnt they cracked and you could actually see through them. When they first started, they were a burger you would die for. No longer. What I do not is have one or two done the way I want it and watch them cook it. The problem is. The grill is way too hot. I wrote to Guy himself and never received any reply. You would think he would want his reputation intact. The reply I received from Carnival. Have them do it the way you want. So that is what I do. As I mentioned, the grill being so darn hot, it still burns the outside.

57 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I have commented about this before. They have went to the dumps. "SQUASH & BURN" should be their motto. I am not exaggerating on this. On one cruise they were so thin and burnt they cracked and you could actually see through them. When they first started, they were a burger you would die for. No longer. What I do not is have one or two done the way I want it and watch them cook it. The problem is. The grill is way too hot. I wrote to Guy himself and never received any reply. You would think he would want his reputation intact. The reply I received from Carnival. Have them do it the way you want. So that is what I do. As I mentioned, the grill being so darn hot, it still burns the outside.

Why would you expect a reply from Guy Fieri?

I’ve heard he wasn’t that guest service focused — even when representing his brand onboard.