Cruise Critic Community
Jameseric

HAL's new coffee blend

Has anyone tried Holland America's  Rotterdam 1873  coffee beans? Either onboard in a specifically identified cup or at home using onboard-purchased beans? If so, please share your impressions. Probably it was good; but was it worth the investment, did you think?

pourover stuff.jpg

We've just gotten back from a 17-day Panama Canal transit on the Oosterdam. Never got solicited for any proprietary blend of coffee beans, except on shore (where each country laid claim to the best coffee in the world). We definitely noticed, however, that the coffee served in the MDR was head-and-shoulders above that on offer in the Lido. We even commented on the difference to the MDR staff. If we were ever going to get a pitch on some special blend, that was the moment.

10 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

... If we were ever going to get a pitch on some special blend, that was the moment.

Thanks for thoughts here. Yes indeed, the MDR brew is excellent, as I recall as well. The item I mentioned would have been in bags displayed in the Explorations Cafe (library region), I should imagine. Interesting.

No I've never seen or heard of Rotterdam 1873.  I agree that the coffee that is served in the Lido is so bad that I comment about it on every post cruise survey.

Saw it mentioned on KDM this winter, but I had already purchased beans in Dominican Republic, so I didn't purchase the HAL ones.  I have a hazy memory of a bag of beans and 1 or 2 coffee cups in a cardboard box.

Maybe it was offered at Dutch Cafe?

54 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Saw it mentioned on KDM this winter, but I had already purchased beans in Dominican Republic, so I didn't purchase the HAL ones.  I have a hazy memory of a bag of beans and 1 or 2 coffee cups in a cardboard box.

Maybe it was offered at Dutch Cafe?

I'm currently on the NS and this coffee is available in the Grand Dutch Cafe.  I do not drink coffee so cannot offer any comments on it.

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

No I've never seen or heard of Rotterdam 1873.  I agree that the coffee that is served in the Lido is so bad that I comment about it on every post cruise survey.

You've made me laugh, pointing fun at myself. I am neither a connoisseur nor an afficionado; if it's hot, black, and wakes me up, it's ok coffee. It was all the more remarkable that I noticed the coffee served in the MDR was decidedly better than what I got on the Lido deck.

31 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

neither a connoisseur nor an afficionado ... all the more remarkable that I noticed ...

I am howling inside, yes, YES! I'm convinced that coffee is an acquired taste, and that there are three sorts of folks who react. Either you are repulsed by the taste (like me with Okra) -- or maybe there are religious strictures implanted; or you endure the stuff for its stimulant benefit, whatever it may happen to taste like; or at some point you began to enjoy java because somebody cared to use freshly roasted beans, newly ground, prepared in clean apparatus with care and, yes, even affection. That would be me, among this latter bunch. But without any sort of pretentious palate. Would never refer to the liquid in my cup as buttery or piney or with hints of banana and overtones of yellow curry (?) for instance.

Edited by Jameseric
better word found

I'm sure not a connoisseur, but I do enjoy a nice cup of java. Why can I get a decent cup of coffee in the MDR but not in the Lido?  

6 hours ago, Petronillus said:

I am neither a connoisseur nor an afficionado; if it's hot, black, and wakes me up, it's ok coffee. It was all the more remarkable that I noticed the coffee served in the MDR was decidedly better than what I got on the Lido deck.

Your description fits me as well.  The MDR coffee has also been better than the Lido Restaurant's coffee.  Room Service's coffee, which comes from the MDR galley area, I am pretty sure, is as good as the coffee served in the MDR.

I tried Rotterdam 1873 coffee at the Grand Dutch Cafe on Nieuw Statendam.  It was good, but I didn't think it was anything "special" and certainly did not consider buying some to take home.

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

... Why can I get a decent cup of coffee in the MDR but not in the Lido?  

First of all, I appreciate these comments, all. Now related to ski ww's frustration: while I haven't watched coffee prep in either place, I suspect that there's a higher "fussy quotient" in the MDR food culture, than in the Lido. Assuming of course that neither place uses stale Folgers brand, there's a lot to be said for servicing one's brewing equipment regularly, checking temperatures, swabbing out accumulated residues. All of which must be tough to accomplish when literally hundreds of newly-verticle guests descend on your tables wanting their morning cuppa NOW.

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

I'm sure not a connoisseur, but I do enjoy a nice cup of java. Why can I get a decent cup of coffee in the MDR but not in the Lido?  

I have your answer!

1) It's the brewing process

2) It may stand longer in the Lido over MDR ( It does make a difference)

3) They may grind the beans more frequently in MDR as opposed to Lido

There's a reason when you go to a coffee shop (Starbucks or your favorite independent shop) you'll see timers on the brewers. It makes a difference on the taste quality.

2 hours ago, Jameseric said:

First of all, I appreciate these comments, all. Now related to ski ww's frustration: while I haven't watched coffee prep in either place, I suspect that there's a higher "fussy quotient" in the MDR food culture, than in the Lido. Assuming of course that neither place uses stale Folgers brand, there's a lot to be said for servicing one's brewing equipment regularly, checking temperatures, swabbing out accumulated residues. All of which must be tough to accomplish when literally hundreds of newly-verticle guests descend on your tables wanting their morning cuppa NOW.

It's a pain in the ass, sometimes the grind of off, sometimes brewers over brew or under brew.  

9 minutes ago, IllinoisGirl1978 said:

It's a pain ...

Love it. Yes, one's hiney can get beyond itchy at the bother of it all. For my part, recently I accepted (in my seventh decade, right?) that I am a process person. Relevance here ... If you're on our particular TA this autumn, you may see me at a Lido table grinding three measures of fresh beans into a pourover cone, with steam wafting from my special kettle waiting its turn. So, come over and say Hi and be welcome to bring your cup/mug and try it yourself.

3 minutes ago, Jameseric said:

Love it. Yes, one's hiney can get beyond itchy at the bother of it all. For my part, recently I accepted (in my seventh decade, right?) that I am a process person. Relevance here ... If you're on our particula%r TA this autumn, you may see me at a Lido table grinding three measures of fresh beans into a pourover cone, with steam wafting from my special kettle waiting its turn. So, come over and say Hi and be welcome to bring your cup/mug and try it yourself.

I approve of the fresh grinding ones beans, it does make a wonderful difference. Unfortunately,  there's a 99.9 chance I'll be working. (I work for Starbucks 🤣🤣

On 2/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, Jameseric said:

...Assuming of course that neither place uses stale Folgers brand...

Apparently the Folgers folks have recognized the negative connotations here and have branded a "new" 1850 specialty release. Of course, it may be the same old beans in a new bag. After you go through the "conversion" from just someone who drinks to someone who cares all things are possible. I vacillate between caring too much and only caring some. At one point I ground beans every morning to French press. Then I decided that the grinding noise wasn't what I wanted to hear upon first awaking. Coffees from around the world do certainly have differing characters. These days I'm drinking pre-ground, organic Sumatra. I've never been tempted to hand grind. All in all a much better experience (I suspect) from the canned Maxwell House that my parents had in a gas stove top percolator from 6:30am until 10pm. HAL's coffee is usually OK for me. There is a difference in preference between what most Americans (in the USA) seem to like and what most Europeans seem to like. 50 years ago who would have imagined that a Starbucks brand would have a coffee shop on every corner and 17 different bean varieties in bags at the grocery store?

Edited by grsnovi

On 2/25/2020 at 5:55 AM, ski ww said:

We do not even call that "slightly flavored" water "coffee" as it would be insulting the word, "coffee."  Princess has even lousier stuff on their Grand Class ships (in the Lido) but made a huge improvement on their new ships (royal class) with new equipment in the Lido that uses real coffee beans.

Hank