RC announce more Coronavirus measures

4 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Pleased to see the new policy. We're due to sail on Rhapsody out of Venice on 23rd May. I'm guessing there may well be a chance this will be cancelled/changed given the situation in Italy. I stand to lose our flights/hotel money which remains non-refundable if so (we have insurance but technically travel to Italy isn't against UK government advice - yet).

Anyone hazard a guess as to when Royal might update on plans with Europe itineraries, particularly those involving Venice (Rhapsody, Explorer, Jewel I think)? 

It seems the Costa Luminosa are leaving Canadian/US citizens in France after the transatlantic from FLL to Venice??

I'm wondering the same. I'm on the cruise a week before you. I'm from the US and right now it seems we can change our flights with no penalty if RC decides to leave out of another port. I just wish we could go ahead and find out. Last minute changes are going to be very stressful.

3 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Who booked them? Royal? We are on Rhapsody in May also... 🤒

Yes flights booked yesterday with Royal and we also received our flight record locator yesterday from them. 

So we are relaxed because it is Royal that has to rebook or cancel and refund the flights if Rh gets an itinerary change.....

On 3/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, Despegue said:

Will you please stop spreading fake news?!

nearly ALL fatalities of Covid19 are older persons with previous health issues, just like with a saisonal flu! Only difference is that indeed, many vulnerable people are vaccinated against the flu. But if you are a healthy individual, you have absolutely NOTHING NADA ZIP to fear from Covid19.

The news agencies are having a field day, feasting on hysteria.

Hey 'captain' are you still of the belief it is all 'nothing to fear from covid 19' or have u now removed your head from the dark place it was hiding?

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, Despegue said:

Actually, that is incorrect.

if we look outside of The Hubei province, fatality rates are about the same as a heavy saisonal flu, with almost no fatalities amongst healthy, middle aged persons, and no fatalities amongst children.

the only issue is that there is no immunisation at the moment and the higher contamination chances due to that.

but next year, nobody will blink an eyelid anymore about Covid19 and we will all wonder why we created a new Worldwide economic crisis by sheer hysteria.

You seemed to have gone quiet since all of the 'facts' you have stated seemed to have been wrong... and since you kept criticising everyone for concerns that have now turned out to be very valid.   If you get a moment 'captain' could you and the rest of the people that you are apparently 'working with' on the 'official virus research group' let the WHO know as well that they are wrong for all the info they are telling us that you confirmed was was 100% wrong and hysteria weeks ago? I do genuinely hope you have not vanished because of the 'hysteria' infected you when you refused to take the necessary advised precautions. Please please please take the advice and dont be stubburn, for your own safety BUT ALSO FOR OTHERS, because people who dont take precautions are the biggest spreaders! Thank you

2 hours ago, mashisback said:

You seemed to have gone quiet since all of the 'facts' you have stated seemed to have been wrong... and since you kept criticising everyone for concerns that have now turned out to be very valid.   If you get a moment 'captain' could you and the rest of the people that you are apparently 'working with' on the 'official virus research group' let the WHO know as well that they are wrong for all the info they are telling us that you confirmed was was 100% wrong and hysteria weeks ago? I do genuinely hope you have not vanished because of the 'hysteria' infected you when you refused to take the necessary advised precautions. Please please please take the advice and dont be stubburn, for your own safety BUT ALSO FOR OTHERS, because people who dont take precautions are the biggest spreaders! Thank you

As this indeed escalated rather quickly, I do stand corrected that this will be a non-issue in a years time. We have destroyed the whole travel industry, I am also currently out of a job as a result, with a 2 weeks old baby and infirm wife. So yes, my humble apologies.

However, I stand by the fact that with most people infected, the symptoms are either mild or not noticed at all.

That is the dangerous thing though indeed, and only complete adherence to the orders by your Government is appropriate.

kind regards.

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

As this indeed escalated rather quickly, I do stand corrected that this will be a non-issue in a years time. We have destroyed the whole travel industry, I am also currently out of a job as a result, with a 2 weeks old baby and infirm wife. So yes, my humble apologies.

However, I stand by the fact that with most people infected, the symptoms are either mild or not noticed at all.

That is the dangerous thing though indeed, and only complete adherence to the orders by your Government is appropriate.

kind regards.

I am sorry to hear that you are out of a job with a young family.

More and more they are showing that younger folks are becoming seriously ill and some who recover have permanent lung damage.  If we adopt mitigation strategies we may be able to cut the death toll from 2.2 million to 1.1 million in the United States.  Article linked:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/19/coronavirus-projections-us/

Best Wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

. We have destroyed the whole travel industry, I am also currently out of a job as a result, with a 2 weeks old baby and infirm wife. So yes, my humble apologies.

So sorry to hear about your job situation. I am in the aviation business and companies are talking about redundancies or forced unpaid leave. Even if worse case predictions don't happen I think there will be major economical effects along side the heartache of loved ones taken before their time. Best wishes to you and your family and I hope it works out in the end

Regards Sue

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

Yes. Because Governor Newsom has a science background. NOT. :classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes: And for the most part, people are doing what they are supposed to be doing. People in California do seem to have a difficulty with the social distancing aspect, especially when they almost run over you with their cart or leave it in the middle of the aisle. It does take 2 to social distance. :classic_rolleyes:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-19/gavin-newsom-california-1-billion-federal-aid-coronavirus

Gov. Gavin Newsom orders all Californians to stay at home

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered all Californians to stay at home, marking the first mandatory restrictions placed on the lives of all 40 million residents in the state’s fight against the novel coronavirus.

The governor’s order comes at a critical time in California, where 19 people have died and an additional 958 have tested positive for the disease. It follows an order from Los Angeles County and city officials issued Thursday that requires all indoor malls, shopping centers, playgrounds and non-essential retail businesses to close and prohibits gathering in enclosed spaces of more than 10 people.

Officials hope telling people to remain in their homes and restrict social interactions will slow the spread of the virus and ultimately prevent hospitals from being overrun with sick patients. The request for all residents to stay at home marks the strongest escalation of the Newsom administration’s response to the virus.

Under city’s order, officials said the following activities are permitted:

• Go to the grocery store
  • Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities
  • Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor or provider first)
  • Take a walk, ride your bike, and be in nature for exercise — just keep at least six feet between you and others in the community.
  • Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian if necessary
  • Help someone to get necessary supplies.

This is not permitted:

• Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by this Order
  • Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need
  • Maintain less than 6 feet of distance from others when you go out, as possible
  • Travel to or from a job outside the City, unless to perform essential activities
  • Travel to or from a vacation home outside the City
  • Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or other residential care facility

These are considered essential services:

--City/County government services:
--Health care providers
--Food and grocery service
--Hardware stores and nurseries
--Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities
Banks
--Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, (including gang prevention and intervention and domestic violence agencies).
--Laundromats/laundry service
--Newspapers, magazines, television, radio, podcasts and other media services
--Educational institutions, including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities -- for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Despegue said:

kind regards.

Sorry to hear you are already one of the financial victims of this, i think there will be many many more, but i still pray more that you and your family... and for anyone, that you do not become a health victim of this crisis, either directly or indirectly.

it appears there are hard times ahead, please all prepare for the worst but believe and prey for the best.

I appreciate you took a step back from your position on this and i can fully understand you didn't do so in full.

As others have pointed out, it can very much grab hold of any age. I think what is distorting peoples view is, the majority of people who die FAST from this is older people/ people with conditions, but that is not because they are uniquely seriously ill from it, it is because they are unable to fight it like the younger/fitter people. As someone, or a few have pointed out, its appearing to be about half of people that are in serious condition were otherwise young/ healthy. I think what you will find is that over time the average death age will come down as some of the younger people fighting for there life unfortunately dont make it. We can only prey that the apparent understanding that a lot of these people fighting for there lives will have permanent damage does not stay permanent. 

This is a major catastrophe that only we can try to limit, all stick together. I hope you get opportunities to still earn for your family. I do not know how it will work but i am hoping people in your position find themselves with new earning opportunities for new found businesses that help to combat this, for example new ventilator businesses, or healthcare support, making face masks, delivering food etc. With clever thinking from the powers above we can solve many a problems to get through this with as few  scars as possible.

much love to you all x

Edited by mashisback
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

any idea when they will be announcing if they are cancelling the next batch of cruises (after May 12th?) my cruise falls in the next period so i am just waiting for the next month of cancellations to be confirmed so i can start the process of trying to get back my payments. 

2 minutes ago, mashisback said:

any idea when they will be announcing if they are cancelling the next batch of cruises (after May 12th?) my cruise falls in the next period so i am just waiting for the next month of cancellations to be confirmed so i can start the process of trying to get back my payments. 

No inside info but I would not think it would happen until end of the month

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mary Louise said:

Hi,

I am scheduled to sail in the beginning of June. I am not going to make my final payment which is due this week. If they cancel my cruise will my deposit get refunded or are they going to hold it for a FCC? 

Since you are not making final payment you are voluntarily cancelling under the cruise with confidence policy.  Whether Royal cancels the cruise later makes no difference. 

Refundable deposits are refunded

Non refundable deposits are issued as a FCC.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

16 minutes ago, Mary Louise said:

Thank you  even if they down the road cancel the cruise?

If you cancel you will receive a voucher.  Even if they eventually cancel you will not see a refund.  That is what happened to us. And we have not even seen the voucher as the cancel was verbal by our travel agent and no documentation was provided.  We did receive a refund for the port taxes.