RC announce more Coronavirus measures

6 hours ago, Despegue said:

You can NOT get Covid-19 from recirculated cabin- air.

please keep to facts and not hysteria please.

How can you tell someone to 'keep to facts' on the sentence after stating an opinion... as if it was a fact?

How can you say 'you can NOT get is from recirculated cabin-air' when the experts still don't know this??

Edited by mashisback
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

700+ (and counting) people on the Diamond Princess have tested positive, and they were

largely confined to their cabins.

What method of transmission do you suggest in this case?

Buddy, Covid-19 is not airborne and can simply not be recirculated through the HEPA filters fitted onboard all airliners.

best regards,

Captain Tino Coddé

Captain B747-400

Master Nautical Sciences

Chairman of TCAS Aviation and Maritime Safety.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mashisback said:

How can you tell someone to 'keep to facts' on the sentence after stating an opinion... as if it was a fact?

How can you say 'you can NOT get is from recirculated cabin-air' when the experts still don't know this??

Because FACT is that Covid-19 is NOT airborne ( but does transmit through tiny droplets from saliva that  by the way go right through a normal surgical mask of the recepient when standing within 2m. of the carrier)

10 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Buddy, Covid-19 is not airborne and can simply not be recirculated through the HEPA filters fitted onboard all airliners.

best regards,

Captain Tino Coddé

Captain B747-400

Master Nautical Sciences

Are there HEPA filters installed on the cruise ships?

Also, Please stop making blanket statements like Covid-19 is not airborne.

Known aerosol transmission has been confirmed.  The jury is out on true airborne status.

Curiously, you failed to address the transmission on the Diamond Princess.

I did note that no degree in advanced immunology was listed on your un-requested resume.

1 minute ago, jdjaguar said:

Are there HEPA filters installed on the cruise ships?

Also, Please stop making blanket statements like Covid-19 is not airborne.

Known aerosol transmission has been confirmed.  The jury is out on true airborne status.

Curiously, you failed to address the transmission on the Diamond Princess.

I did note that no degree in advanced immunology was listed on your un-requested resume.

Well, I am workng together with immunology experts on Covid-19 risks for aviation at this very moment if you must know. Are you?

28 minutes ago, Alnursu said:

This is the beginning of a bad situation in the Caribbean. If a ship can be turned away for one crew member with a fever what's next? Anyone ever been on a cruise where not a single crew member or passenger had a fever?

35 minutes ago, Despegue said:

best regards,

Captain Tino Coddé

Captain B747-400

Master Nautical Sciences

Ok, could you save the world a lot of time and money by notifying the experts of these facts that they are not yet sure about... you may be the saving grace to this outbreak

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Well, I am workng together with immunology experts on Covid-19 risks for aviation at this very moment if you must know. Are you?

What do these experts have to say about the virus transmission on the Diamond Princess?

Ask them, and please report back.

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Alnursu said:

That is pretty silly, but I could understand and empathize with their overreaction.

One theoretically could test positive with flu and have a superimposed Covid19 infection, but it would be very unlikely. 

12 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Epidemic - a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a COMMUNITY at a particular time.

Corona virus is well past being in a community, thus:

Pandemic - (of a disease) prevalent over a WHOLE COUNTRY (China) or the WORLD (coming soon).

You don't have to own a dictionary, you can just google a words meaning...

Lol, I am also a physician, and I am on the infection committee on my hospital. 

So no need to be condescending. You never know who might be on the other side of the keyboard. 😉

I don't think anyone should use the Diamond Princess as an example of transmission. There were just too many variables that could have led to the outbreak on board. Primarily, we still have no idea how many of the passengers would have tested positive pre quarantine as they didn't test everyone to begin with. While they think patient zero from the Diamond Princess was the man that disembarked in Hong Kong it is not know for sure that he was. Also, some passengers on board were finding loopholes in the quarantine (interacting on balcony's etc..) and crew could have also contributed. 

So while it is possible that transmission was happening through vents or pipes there is not enough evidence to say for sure one way or another what went wrong on the Diamond Princess. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Toesinthewater728 said:

We have a Caribbean cruise in March and I’m really concerned - the upside is a great vacation, the down side is a quarantined ship or WORSE. My wife is a doc and she’s still undecided as to what we should do... 

The only thing I am worried about with my 3 cruises planned this year is showing up at port and reading 99 degrees and getting denied boarding.

• Like 1

I think it is as a practical matter a pandemic now that community spreading has occurred in 3 of the 6 populated continents. But it has not been "declared" a pandemic, although WHO and CDC warnings make it sound inevitable. I suspect there are a number of agreed-upon public health protocols that are being studied and prepared that will be triggered, likely automatically, in most countries once there is official status.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I don't think anyone should use the Diamond Princess as an example of transmission. There were just too many variables that could have led to the outbreak on board. Primarily, we still have no idea how many of the passengers would have tested positive pre quarantine as they didn't test everyone to begin with. While they think patient zero from the Diamond Princess was the man that disembarked in Hong Kong it is not know for sure that he was. Also, some passengers on board were finding loopholes in the quarantine (interacting on balcony's etc..) and crew could have also contributed. 

So while it is possible that transmission was happening through vents or pipes there is not enough evidence to say for sure one way or another what went wrong on the Diamond Princess. 

I promise you, someone is writing a case series on all 700+ and 4 deaths. It will be published in a big name journal too. Maybe JAMA or NEJM?

18 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I think it is as a practical matter a pandemic now that community spreading has occurred in 3 of the 6 populated continents. But it has not been "declared" a pandemic, although WHO and CDC warnings make it sound inevitable. I suspect there are a number of agreed-upon public health protocols that are being studied and prepared that will be triggered, likely automatically, in most countries once there is official status.

I agree that it is practically. But the CDC says that it isn't a pandemic...yet. 

Also our president, who is the most honest stable genius ever, said that covid 19 is "under control". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, smparnf said:

Is she your emergency contact?  My mom got the same email (same sailing).  I assume that's why she got it.

That might be it, but they need to do better here. The e-mail to my mom says that they're emailing about her upcoming cruise, not that they're emailing about her emergency contact's upcoming cruise.

We are on Navigator next week out of Miami and I am not worried, but am a little anxious about our July cruise on Rhapsody out of Venice getting canceled. It's been a bit of an albatross, first with Venice deciding to close the port to future cruises and now this. Oy. Fingers crossed!

19 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

We are on Navigator next week out of Miami and I am not worried, but am a little anxious about our July cruise on Rhapsody out of Venice getting canceled. It's been a bit of an albatross, first with Venice deciding to close the port to future cruises and now this. Oy. Fingers crossed!

Would probably start looking into cancellations for the Venice cruise 

27 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I’d definitely cancel my cruise out of Venice while you’re still able to get a refund on your deposit. 

On 2/25/2020 at 4:25 AM, Tony O said:

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.

b. Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

c. Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.

2. There will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy (all regions other than Lombardy and Veneto) in the past 15 days.

b. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

We have rigorous medical protocols in place to help passengers and crew members who feel unwell while sailing. Our protocols include professional medical treatment; quarantine of unwell individuals from the general ship population; and intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures.

We are assessing developments constantly and will update these measures as needed. Guests with questions may contact the customer care department of our individual cruise lines.

How are they going to enforce these protocols? Just for example, look at b. Is the cruise line is relying on passengers to answer questions honestly on a form? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alnursu said:

Oh I saw this ship yesterday!  All the Jamaican workers at the dolphin swim were chanting “go away! Go away!” as they set sail away from the dock again. 

12 hours ago, Despegue said:

You can NOT get Covid-19 from recirculated cabin- air.

please keep to facts and not hysteria please.

Your statement might be correct, but you could have been a bit more polite about it. Just no need to be crass. A polite reply goes a lot further than some stodgy remark.

Cheers

Len

19 minutes ago, webgal318 said:

How are they going to enforce these protocols? Just for example, look at b. Is the cruise line is relying on passengers to answer questions honestly on a form? 

Also how does one know if they've come into contact with someone who's been to those places in the last 15 days? I work with the public and see quite a lot of people on a regular basis. How do I know if those people have been to Lombardy in the past 15 days for example? Difficult to answer and difficult to enforce.

• Like 1