RC announce more Coronavirus measures

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Based on my read the passenger could have been infected after leaving the ship as he traveled home through Italy in the region where there are the most cases. Hope everyone on board gets home safe.

Just now, webgal318 said:

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral on 3/15.  My husband is 79. Go or Stay? 

Do you live in FL?  If not, and you are flying, I'd definitely stay.

If you live in FL, it probably depends on your health plus your age.  If it were me, I'd stay.  100%.  But, I'm a little more risk averse, and have a brother in China, so I know how real this can get...and we are in such an early stage (and hopefully won't go past the early stage and can shut this down)...

14 minutes ago, Margin Walker said:

Passports

If you think they are separating passengers by where they have been by using passports I do not think that is accurate information.  I corresponded with RCCL and was told, "Hi there. It’s challenging to determine their recent travels through those docs...This is why we’ve implemented our additional screenings and health protocols to get the answers some documentation will fail to provide."

Passports are no longer stamped as in the past and if in transit you flew to get to your port you may have come in contact with somebody who has it and have no idea.

So nope - passport will not answer the question.  Thus, they are resorting to screening folks.  Unfortunately, some only develop mild symptoms, or may be asymptomatic due to being in the incubation period.  Honestly, I am not sure how they can effectively screen for who has Coronavirus to keep the at risk groups safe on a cruise.

Edited by travelgirl528

5 minutes ago, webgal318 said:

I live here. 70 and in excellent health. Husband has 4 stents and reasonably OK. Tough decision. 

Good luck on your decision.  We are facing a similar dilemma with our son who has severe asthma.  But we have to fly to get to Florida - however I am more concerned with the cruise than the flight.

They are also extending the final payment date on the European cruises. My cruise went from 90 days to 60 days. This is a very good move for RCCL.  It gives everyone time to closely monitor the situation before cancelling or going. 

The final payment date on our May European cruise was Feb 8 with 4 stops in Italy. 50% loss if we cancel this week, 75% loss if we wait till next. RCI won't budge on the dates.

Puts us in a difficult position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, paper1122 said:

Does anyone know, if you or your kids have a fever or other flu symptoms and they deny boarding, do they deny the whole cabin and provide a refund or just that passenger?

They haven't quite seemed to work that part out yet. But hopefully they will have a better policy in the very near future that will provide a refund or FCC to the family traveling with the ill minor. 

After all, if you have an ill minor, you can't really leave them onshore. And I hope that you have travel insurance for your cruise. That is really important. 

Edited by Coralc

8 hours ago, Margin Walker said:

Passports

When we landed in Rome last time, and handed my passport to immigration, the guy said, "Okay. Go."

I asked, ""Can you stamp my passport, please?'

He said, "No! Go!"

So I don't know how reliable that passport thing is. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Despegue said:

Actually, that is incorrect.

if we look outside of The Hubei province, fatality rates are about the same as a heavy saisonal flu, with almost no fatalities amongst healthy, middle aged persons, and no fatalities amongst children.

the only issue is that there is no immunisation at the moment and the higher contamination chances due to that.

but next year, nobody will blink an eyelid anymore about Covid19 and we will all wonder why we created a new Worldwide economic crisis by sheer hysteria.

Nothing I said was incorrect.  Feel free to back up your statements with actual facts.  

12 hours ago, paper1122 said:

Does anyone know, if you or your kids have a fever or other flu symptoms and they deny boarding, do they deny the whole cabin and provide a refund or just that passenger?

Adios kiddos! See you next week! 😘😘😘

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Its good that some people are managing to avoid sounding at all worried about the virus... but i think the people who are practically laughing at people who are concerned... saying its tiny compared to flu etc... here is what i would say...

WHO' apparently are looking at revising the mortality rate estimate to 3.4%

This means more than 1 in 30 people who get it will die from it.

a lot of experts are basically saying its more 'when' rather than 'if' you get it. Meaning there is a fair chance we are all going to get it at some point.

If all of us get it then 1 in 30 of the people you know, on average are going to die. That means, of the 4500 people you was on a cruise with last time, on average 150 people on that cruise will die from this.

They have not managed to confirm if we are likely to catch this more than once... (they already think they know it is possible to catch more than once) so this could be a 1 in 30 wipeout every year.

All of this hopefully will be combated by a good antivirus in a year or 2.... and hopefully the sun shine reduces some of these numbers..

But with all this in mind, i certainly thing there is more to worry about with this then the Flu?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These are nice PR pieces to reassure people.  But one thing they haven't mentioned is what procedures will be done once a ship has the virus.  What will passengers have to go through?  What are the procedures A-Z when this happens?  I think they need to explain this along with their preventive measures.   Otherwise, the passenger doesn't know the risks of going on the cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

We are in Fl, in our 70's not so great health,  sailing in 2 weeks.  
99% sure we are not going.

My 79 year old husband has a physical today. I am going to ask. A ship with 5000 people on board is frightening. 

57 minutes ago, mashisback said:

Its good that some people are managing to avoid sounding at all worried about the virus... but i think the people who are practically laughing at people who are concerned... saying its tiny compared to flu etc... here is what i would say...

WHO' apparently are looking at revising the mortality rate estimate to 3.4%

This means more than 1 in 30 people who get it will die from it.

a lot of experts are basically saying its more 'when' rather than 'if' you get it. Meaning there is a fair chance we are all going to get it at some point.

If all of us get it then 1 in 30 of the people you know, on average are going to die. That means, of the 4500 people you was on a cruise with last time, on average 150 people on that cruise will die from this.

They have not managed to confirm if we are likely to catch this more than once... (they already think they know it is possible to catch more than once) so this could be a 1 in 30 wipeout every year.

All of this hopefully will be combated by a good antivirus in a year or 2.... and hopefully the sun shine reduces some of these numbers..

But with all this in mind, i certainly thing there is more to worry about with this then the Flu?

I think people over the age of 60 with other medical issues should be keeping an eye out. But I don't think anyone should panic. I am still of the mind that people should worry more about the regular flu.

Yes 1 in 30 who get it will die, but the majority won't even get it. China has a population of over a billion people, of that there are 90,000 people that have been confirmed to have the virus. And the mortality rate is likely lower. That number only counts for the people that are confirmed to have it. How many had it and didn't know or only had mild symptoms so they never sought treatment.

• Like 1

China is an authoritarian government and they were able to lock down parts of China. They are even offering money to people who report their fever and money to people who report on those who have a fever and did not self report. They were able to take draconian measures. Without these measures, surely the virus would have spread more. Democracies cant take these messages. Democracies cant quarantine entire cities/states.