How to document missed port for weather for insurance reimbursement - NCL

cruiser147147

3 hours ago, VTgreentraveler said:

what was the lose? And don't all cruise contracts say that ports can change?

Nationwide sells a cruise travel insurance policy that pays cash if your itinerary changes precruise, and also pays cash if your cruise misses a port during the cruise.

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Nationwide sells a cruise travel insurance policy that pays cash if your itinerary changes precruise, and also pays cash if your cruise misses a port during the cruise.

Thanks for posting klfrodo.  I get frustrated with posters (not you- you took the time to explain what I did not feel like explaining) who do not read and/or understand an original post and instead go off on their own agenda.  If one doesn't have relevant information requested in an OP, then simply do not reply to the thread. 

2 hours ago, VTgreentraveler said:

I never knew there was such a thing.  I've learned something new today.  I wasn't trying to debate. I was just trying to understand the issue. 

Curious, what is the value of a missed port? Maybe a shore excursion not  booked through the cruise line? 

I think the current coverage is $250 per person

10 hours ago, VTgreentraveler said:

I never knew there was such a thing.  I've learned something new today.  I wasn't trying to debate. I was just trying to understand the issue. 

Curious, what is the value of a missed port? Maybe a shore excursion not  booked through the cruise line? 

VTgreentraveler --

I apologize for my snippy responses to you now that I understand what your motive was.  The way I read your resonses, I could not tell you did not understand I was looking for the information to file a 3rd party insurance claim.  I am not trying nor do I expect to collect any compensation fron NCL....that is what I have 3rd party insurance for.  Not even sure a claim to my trip insurance will garner me any compensation but its worth a shot if I can figure out how to get documented proof my cruise missed a scheduled port due to high winds and could not dock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser147147 said:

Not even sure a claim to my trip insurance will garner me any compensation but its worth a shot if I can figure out how to get documented proof my cruise missed a scheduled port due to high winds and could not dock. 

Please let us know what happens with Nationwide.

My question is: Assuming you did not lose money from a pre-paid excursion, and NCL did not cancel the port at least a day before the cruise departed, will Nationwide consider this a covered itinerary change?  They have a list of five covered reasons and the only one that might meet your situation is 5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary. So does skipping a port count as a 3 hour+ delay?

I saw a similar thread a while back on this subject, and don't recall seeing any updates. One suggestion from that thread regarding documentation was the "Log of the Cruise", that many lines put in your mailbox on the last evening of the cruise. My guess is you do not have one, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Here is the Nationwide wording:

ITINERARY CHANGE - INCONVENIENCE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage. Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or 5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

4 hours ago, cruiser147147 said:

VTgreentraveler --

I apologize for my snippy responses to you now that I understand what your motive was.  The way I read your resonses, I could not tell you did not understand I was looking for the information to file a 3rd party insurance claim.  I am not trying nor do I expect to collect any compensation fron NCL....that is what I have 3rd party insurance for.  Not even sure a claim to my trip insurance will garner me any compensation but its worth a shot if I can figure out how to get documented proof my cruise missed a scheduled port due to high winds and could not dock. 

No harm. These forums are very 1 dimensional and often tone can be applied unintentionally.  Good luck and please post the final outcome. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiser147147 said:

Not Nationwide. 

Ok. I was aware of the Nationwide policies that @klfrodo referred to. Who else offers missed port coverage? I would love to take a look at another policy that covers missed ports as the Nationwide policies do not offer this coverage in Florida and eight other states.

11 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Ok. I was aware of the Nationwide policies that @klfrodo referred to. Who else offers missed port coverage? I would love to take a look at another policy that covers missed ports as the Nationwide policies do not offer this coverage in Florida and eight other states.

Jersey42 -

You are not providing any relevant information to the original post. I can not answer your question until I get an answer to my original question and this plays out a lot further.  As I stated in post number 11  ("Not even sure a claim to my trip insurance will garner me any compensation but its worth a shot if I can figure out how to get documented proof my cruise missed a scheduled port due to high winds and could not dock.")  I will not discuss this any further until I have a resolution.  I asked for an answer to  specific questions and apparently no one knows the answer so I may never be able to answer the question you asked.  If I get an answer and then a resolution, I will post outcome but I expect this to be a drawn out process as anything involving NCL is.

1 hour ago, cruiser147147 said:

Not Nationwide. 

If it’s not Nationwide coverage then I’m quit sure you’ll be SOL.

They’re the only ones I’m aware of that provided this type of coverage.

Actually, the payouts have been reduced a ton since they first started this coverage for missed ports.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 5:13 AM, cruiser147147 said:

What department at NCL do I need to contact to get documentation of a missed caribbean port due to weather to submit to insurance company?  What exactly do I need to ask for?

Thanks

Have you asked your insurer what is acceptable documentation? Does the policy define what they will accept as proof? 

Sounds like you did not have the opportunity to address this while on board.

Have you asked NCL customer service to direct you to the correct department? Are you a member of their loyalty club? Do they have something like a concierge you could contact for direction?

Failing that, perhaps you could contact the port authority of the port you missed. Google it for contact information. They should have schedule and weather data.

We missed the Azores on the Norwegian Getaway's 19-day Transatlantic last fall.  I contacted Nationwide who we had purchased insurance from and they confirmed that was a covered event and sent me the form I needed to submit.  For proof of the itinerary change, I contacted NCL through their "Contact Us" form on their website and requested a copy of the new itinerary, and they sent me a copy of the email that was sent to their corporate office from the captain confirming the itinerary change at the time.  Nationwide accepted that as proof.  Also needed to submit copy of original itinerary, proof of payment for the trip, and copy of the folio statement as proof that we took the trip.  There was a list of documents needed that came with the form they sent.  Was able to submit by email (Nationwide actually prefers that) and received $250 pp for missing a port due to a hurricane.  Also had previously received $750 pp for the pre-cruise itinerary change on our Southern Caribbean cruise after Maria and Irma wiped out 4 of our scheduled ports. Nationwide is an easy company to work with and cheerfully and promptly paid out on both claims.  I was very impressed.  I also had medical claims on the Transatlantic cruise.  They not only paid out promptly, but they actually called me because they noticed that there were more medical charges on my folio statement than what I had submitted claims for.  They wanted to know if they needed to pay any of those (they didn't need to, because my primary insurance paid them).  I can't say enough good things about Nationwide.

Edited by doctoranna