Best Buffet with Complimentary SUSHI on a Cruise Ship.

I have been told that most cruise ship buffets do not have SUSHI as a complementary item on their lunch and dinner  buffet's except on special buffet nights.

One cruiser said that Holland American Cruise ships have a great buffet that includes SUSHI.

This would be my ideal holiday if I could eat complementary SUSHI every day and would be a HUGE factor in choosing my next  cruise ship / line.

I look forward to other SUSHI lovers experience and advice.

Typically HAL ships have sushi on the Lido buffet at lunch.  Not the best, but not the worst I have ever eaten.    Since we seldom dine in the Lido in the evening, I cannot speak to the question of sushi on the dinner buffet.  If you are on a ship with a Tamarind Restaurant, they offer sushi off a menu at dinner.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WisRiver said:

Typically HAL ships have sushi on the Lido buffet at lunch.  Not the best, but not the worst I have ever eaten.    Since we seldom dine in the Lido in the evening, I cannot speak to the question of sushi on the dinner buffet.  If you are on a ship with a Tamarind Restaurant, they offer sushi off a menu at dinner.  

Thanks for this info.

I will try and write to Holland America Line and ask if SUSHI will be on the Buffet?

Although not free / included Carnival has Sushi that is reasonable and I never heard a bad thing about it.  If you factor in the cost difference from some of the lines (HAL, Viking) you will come out WAY WAY ahead booking Carnival with a Sushi joint and paying for it.

My .02  ...take it for what it is worth.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drinal01 said:

Although not free / included Carnival has Sushi that is reasonable and I never heard a bad thing about it.  If you factor in the cost difference from some of the lines (HAL, Viking) you will come out WAY WAY ahead booking Carnival with a Sushi joint and paying for it.

My .02  ...take it for what it is worth.

My plan / desire fo the ideal dream cruise is COMPLIMENTARY SUSHI on a buffet. I might be fooling my self into a False Economy when as you say I could get a cheaper cruise and buy all the SUSHI I want and be financially ahead.

I tried to ring Holland America line but they are closed in Seattle now but I will try them in the morning and see if I can get a answer from some one in the food and catering department as too whether they have Complementary SUSHI.

Edited by amatuercruiser

19 hours ago, amatuercruiser said:

Thanks for this info.

I will try and write to Holland America Line and ask if SUSHI will be on the Buffet?

There was sushi available in the Maasdam buffet. I don't eat sushi so can't comment on the quality but I did notice it. being there.

They also had a seafood day in the buffet. I think I had three king prawn bread rolls yummo.

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 1

Ok I rang Holland America Line in Seattle and spoke to Rachelle in Ships Services. She confirmed that HAL has a Worldwide policy of SUSHI  at the lunch  Buffet and Sushi varying in and out of  the dinner buffet depending on what the Chefs are doing.

She said this is all HAL Ships with the bigger HAL ships also having a Pay extra Sushi restaurants.

I assured Rachelle  this sounded great and will definitely try and book HAL as my next cruise.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

There was sushi available in the Maasdam buffet. I don't eat sushi so can't comment on the quality but I did notice it. being there.

They also had a seafood day in the buffet. I think I had three king prawn bread rolls yummo.

I think HAL is going to be perfect for me.

16 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Celebrity used to, but removed/replaced it with Sushi on 5 (speciality restaurant).

I noticed that on my last two Solstice cruises. Very few people seemed to be using it. I don't know if it was due to quality or just that not many people, like me, are into sushi. I suspect the latter.

• Like 1

Oceania has it every night on its (free) dinner buffet.  All foods are served to make things more hygienic.  Most people appreciate that, but some would rather do traditional buffet style in which you would use a set of tongs and take pieces without having to ask for them.  On Oceania the pieces are freshly cut for you right there and you can have as many as you want.  My husband says they usually have salmon, tuna, some kind of fish, California roll, shashimi, vegetable rolls, and sometimes shrimp if they are serving it elsewhere that night.  

Oceania is more expensive than Holland, but their food and service are awesome, and if you compare their prices, I'd suggest comparing the lower priced cabin categories, without the O benefits (free airfare, plus some onboard credit) to get a better idea of cost.  Port charges, specialty restaurants, non-alcoholic drinks, and wifi are included, but tips, alcohol, excursions are not.   The prices may be a little higher also because Oceania's itineraries tend to be port-intensive, so they often have more port charges to pay than other lines. Viking is a great choice, too, with almost as good food and service, but I feel it's a little more expensive than Oceania, all things considered.  But of course it depends upon what people like and will use.  For example, we don't drink, so we don't care if the alcohol costs or doesn't cost.  

Edited by roothy123
  • Like 1

We were on HAL - Noordam - Sydney to Honolulu in June/July.   Sushi - no additional charge was on display and available in the buffet at lunchtime.  I don't like it myself, but plenty Sushi on Noordam.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:39 AM, roothy123 said:

Oceania has it every night on its (free) dinner buffet.  All foods are served to make things more hygienic.  Most people appreciate that, but some would rather do traditional buffet style in which you would use a set of tongs and take pieces without having to ask for them.  On Oceania the pieces are freshly cut for you right there and you can have as many as you want.  My husband says they usually have salmon, tuna, some kind of fish, California roll, shashimi, vegetable rolls, and sometimes shrimp if they are serving it elsewhere that night.  

Oceania is more expensive than Holland, but their food and service are awesome, and if you compare their prices, I'd suggest comparing the lower priced cabin categories, without the O benefits (free airfare, plus some onboard credit) to get a better idea of cost.  Port charges, specialty restaurants, non-alcoholic drinks, and wifi are included, but tips, alcohol, excursions are not.   The prices may be a little higher also because Oceania's itineraries tend to be port-intensive, so they often have more port charges to pay than other lines. Viking is a great choice, too, with almost as good food and service, but I feel it's a little more expensive than Oceania, all things considered.  But of course it depends upon what people like and will use.  For example, we don't drink, so we don't care if the alcohol costs or doesn't cost.  

Thanks for the info. I will in a couple of days Make a table of which cruise lines include Sushi on the buffet. Below is the info I have so far.

Cruise Lines That have Sushi on Buffet Complementary daily.

Holland America Line Lunchtime Yes Dinner Occasionally

Oceania has it every night on its (free) dinner buffet.

Viking Ocean, every evening a huge section with sushi

Cruise Lines That do not have Sushi on the buffet Complementary daily.

Celebrity Cruises No Complementary Sushi

Cruise Lines I do not know about having Sushi on Buffet..

Carnival? (Possibly)

P&O?

Royal Caribbean Line?

Cunard?

Princess? Have sent email asking.

Edited by amatuercruiser

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We were on HAL - Noordam - Sydney to Honolulu in June/July.   Sushi - no additional charge was on display and available in the buffet at lunchtime.  I don't like it myself, but plenty Sushi on Noordam.

I hope this Virus thing blows over soon and I will be booking a Holland America Line Cruise.

The Lady at HAL told me daily Lunchtime Sushi on Buffet is a Worldwide policy.

2 minutes ago, amatuercruiser said:

I hope this Virus thing blows over soon and I will be booking a Holland America Line Cruise.

The Lady at HAL told me daily Lunchtime Sushi on Buffet is a Worldwide policy.

Bugger the corona virus, book cruises now, plenty of bargains to be had.  If I had pending cruises I would not cancel, but we cannot cruise any more as we are uninsurable with a terminal disease. Such is life.  I get depressed sometimes reading about all you mob doing cruises.

• Like 1

Ok So Royal Caribbean is a NO on complementary Sushi on their Buffet.

"please be advised that we don't have complementary sushi in our buffet area. Have in mind that it will depend on the ship and the type of cruise that you are taking."

Kind regards,
 •RCL Cruise Administration

Just off the Queen Elizabeth - they didn't have a huge variety of sushi - but what they had was excellent and sometimes included sashmin too -definitely at lunch - not sure about dinner as we didn't eat there often at night 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

Just off the Queen Elizabeth - they didn't have a huge variety of sushi - but what they had was excellent and sometimes included sashmin too -definitely at lunch - not sure about dinner as we didn't eat there often at night 

Lissie thank you for your input.

I will add Cunard Queen Elizabeth to the Sushi available List.

Edited by amatuercruiser