Cost of Non-Resident Medical Care in Norway?

QShip

When we recently traveled to New Zealand we learned that medical care there is at no cost to everyone, including non-resident travelers.  What is the situation in Norway?  We have passage booked for late Sept.  The trip was put on a credit card that includes trip cancellation coverage, but no medical.  We are looking at medical and medical evacuation insurance, but are unsure just what we need.

In case of emergency, a visit to an ER will not cost too much, if they can patch you up and send you home. I had to visit an ER because of a nasty burn, they tended the wound and it cost me about 25USD (but I still had to pay - I'm French). It's also my understanding that you need to pay for your health care in Norway as a tourist. I would not travel without medical insurance.

Medicare does not provide coverage outside the US, so I've refused Medicare coverage and maintained my Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy which provides coverage worldwide.  There's an 800 number to call if the need arises and we need medical care while traveling internationally.  BC/BS will connect us with a pre-approved provider.  In addition, our annual travel policy provides for medically necessary evacuation and repatriation of remains.

I would rather be over-insured and not need it than under-insured and need it.

This waaaaayyyyyy off topic - but I am compelled to follow up on @satgassopirate's note about US Medicare.

While true that the program does not work outside US, one may not be covered by Medicare if one stays more than 30 days outside the US, also.

The reason for this post and this is VERY important:  There are penalties for not enrolling in Medicare when one becomes first eligible.

I know this is neither the place nor the medium to discuss this topic, but this important enough to note. And I realize that vast majority of readers on CC know the foregoing.  But just in case....Consider options very carefully, there may be some important unintended consequences for not enrolling in Medicare when first eligible.

And there are strategies that US world travelers can use to address this important issue.  And YES - travel insurance, even when fully insured in home country, should  be part of planning travel; in my view.

Edited by Homerody
typos