MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

allyfrizzle

1 minute ago, abbflex said:

Interesting that they refuse boarding to passengers who has been to affected countries last 30 days, but not crew members  

The only countries they were refusing pax from was China, Macau and Hong Kong. So if they hadnt been there why would they be denied?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, abbflex said:

Interesting that they refuse boarding to passengers who has been to affected countries last 30 days, but not crew members  

In their coronavirus update, MSC indicated they were not allowing crew onboard who had been In affected countries. That why I mentioned the captain needs to be taken to task.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

If I was a passenger, I would go up to the captain, who is probably in hiding, and say "Buddy, you have a lot of splaining to do! "

I sincerely doubt the Capt is in hiding. And if the crew member hadnt been through or from Macau, China or Hong Kong and the ship left Sunday and he developed a high fever since they left what explaining would he have to do?

2 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

The only countries they were refusing pax from was China, Macau and Hong Kong. So if they hadnt been there why would they be denied?

Ok, my bad.  I thought south korea and phillipines was on the list aswell.

• Like 1

Just now, abbflex said:

Ok, my bad.  I thought south korea and phillipines was on the list aswell.

Not at the moment the countries i mentioned are the only one on the MSC website. Also they would have been subject to the same tests pax were given in Miami before boarding and obviously nothing showed up at that point. Had it done,  they wouldnt have been on board

Very sad. It is flu season. People will get sick at times. Everything isnt the Coronavirus. I understand the respect for caution, but is unrealistic to think that no one out of 1,500 crew or 5,000 guests might have a cold or flu. And to be cautious, if they are sick, they get quarantined out of caution and to help reduce the spread of the flu. That makes sense. 

When I was on a cruise a few weeks ago I got the sniffles and oh I was so scared to let anyone hear me cough. I was concerned they would think that I would infect them with something. 

I'm not making light of the situation, but everything really isn't the Coronavirus. I hope that it does get under control soon though. It is a very sad situation right now, especially with it spreading more.

For those on the meraviglia right now, I hope you can make the best of your cruise experience. You're still out there with bright blue skies, plenty of food on board, and you're not at work. That still sounds good to me. It's not exactly what you planned, but hopefully you choose to make the best of it. Happy sailing!

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, realcindylouwho said:

Wont be going to Grand Cayman tomorrow either. Sorry guys...

NEW: Cayman Islands government says it is denying entry to the Meraviglia cruise ship because 2 of its crew members aren't well. Jamaica also denied entry. https://t.co/YABjOLCju7

This really is something.....hard to believe they can do this??

What are they saying on board? Do you get some sort of reimbursement for missed ports?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mrs Soap said:

What are they saying on board? Do you get some sort of reimbursement for missed ports?

I'm curious about this too.  They have now missed two ports and who knows what happens next.  I read in a news article this morning that someone on the ship learned about Jamaica refusing the port stop, from an article posted by that same news organization.

Crazy days ahead.  I hope whatever the crew is sick with, it's contained and passes quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I'm curious about this too.  They have now missed two ports and who knows what happens next.  I read in a news article this morning that someone on the ship learned about Jamaica refusing the port stop, from an article posted by that same news organization.

Crazy days ahead.  I hope whatever the crew is sick with, it's contained and passes quickly.

I know normally they don't give you anything for a missed port- perhaps just the port charges refunded, but if you are missing the majority of your ports , surely they would need to do something??

I'm struggling to understand how they can deny entry without confirmed cases of CV....as said before on a ship of that size or any size really there is going to be numerous people sick. If I got 5000 plus people together anywhere there would have to be sick people amongst the group...the cruise industry will just go down the tube if this is the case and so many of these ports rely on the income....and  on it goes....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mrs Soap said:

This really is something.....hard to believe they can do this??

How can they do this? Countries can do what they want. If they feel there is a threat then they can turn the ship away and the cruise lines can do very little. This will not be the last time that we hear this and more than likely this is only the beginning.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

How can they do this? Countries can do what they want. If they feel there is a threat then they can turn the ship away and the cruise lines can do very little. This will not be the last time that we hear this and more than likely this is only the beginning.

Yes you are right they can do what the want , but if this kind of hysteria continues they could permanently damage their economy, well at least the smaller island ports

• Like 2

Given how badly wrong the initial information from the 'experts' was on this virus, can you blame governments for deciding to be as pro-active as possible?  Some countries, especially island countries with delicate environments, may choose to give up short-term tourist income in exchange for the safety of their residents and long-term development possibilities.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Given how badly wrong the initial information from the 'experts' was on this virus, can you blame governments for deciding to be as pro-active as possible?  Some countries, especially island countries with delicate environments, may choose to give up short-term tourist income in exchange for the safety of their residents and long-term development possibilities.

Totally agree with this.  But China was hazmatting their government employees and disinfecting everything in sight for weeks before they disclosed how bad things were.  US and other Governments did the same... look at some of the evacuation plane photos from Wuhan and the Diamond Princess.  Cruisers had a mask, workers had hazmat suits with respirators.  The "experts" knew a lot they were not sharing.

And, Cruisers are not as good for local economies as you might think they are.  Speak with locals in European ports in Italy and Croatia and they'll tell you that they would trade ALL the cruisers for more tourists that stay overnight for multiple days.

Cruisers are really hard on infrastructure and in many ports they spend substantially less per person than overnight tourists.  Some island businesses do rely very heavily on cruisers, but sustainable businesses shouldn't.  IMO, if some of these islands get slammed with Virus cases, the damage (physical, emotional and financial) would be worse than being struck by a Cat 5.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mrs Soap said:

Yes you are right they can do what the want , but if this kind of hysteria continues they could permanently damage their economy, well at least the smaller island ports

Not saying that I agree with the ban but right now this situation has gone from basically an Asia based virus to blowing up worldwide since the early weekend. It’s snowballing and quick. I don’t know what the answer is but I’m afraid it’s going to get worse before we see improvement.

• Like 1