MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

allyfrizzle

13 minutes ago, capitalbarry said:

Similarly, the decision taken overnight by the Grand Cayman authorities to refuse disembarkation at Georgetown was made without even reviewing the ship’s medical records, which show one single case of common seasonal flu (type A influenza) affecting one crew member with a travel history clearly showing no passages through territories either affected by COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or subject to any international health restrictions. In both instances, the ship was effectively turned away simply based on fears.

This right here is the key part.  Coronavirus played no part in this other than to cause a fear based overreaction.  The fact that the Caymans refused to port the ship without ever reviewing documentation sets a really, really bad example for the region.

These two ports have to be really careful going forward.  If they're going to start denying ships because of the flu, they're going to have to start denying everyone.  And I would nor be shocked if they just start ambiguously denying MSC ships for the next couple weeks as retaliation for this kind of public statement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phil the brit said:

A VERY, VERY good question. One that if I had joined for the cruise I would DEFINATELY want to know.

MSC, were you not honest with your passengers?

You do realise crew and passengers were subject to the same checks BEFORE THEY WERE ALLOWED TO BOARD. The crew member got a fever after they left Miami. MSC have been keeping pax informed as soon as they were kept waiting in Jamaica. Before that there was nothing for them to report. There is no dishonesty as you are trying to suggest.

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

I’m more impressed with grand cayman and Jamaica. I don’t blame them for refusing the ship one bit.  

As much as cruisers may not want to hear this, there is something to be said for this logic. The islands are much more vulnerable should an outbreak occur. Cruise ships bring passengers (and crew) from all over the world. Because they are more vulnerable, it's good practice to be more cautious.

• Like 1

I traveled on the Seaside last week and there were many ill passengers by Friday. I just wanted off by then!  I also pondered how tragic it would be for these poor islands to have a new illness to contend with. Heaven help the poor places we travel to!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

I traveled on the Seaside last week and there were many ill passengers by Friday. I just wanted off by then!  I also pondered how tragic it would be for these poor islands to have a new illness to contend with. Heaven help the poor places we travel to!

Third world countries that don't have resources to treat or stop spread will be hit the hardest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As much as cruisers may not want to hear this, there is something to be said for this logic. The islands are much more vulnerable should an outbreak occur. Cruise ships bring passengers (and crew) from all over the world. Because they are more vulnerable, it's good practice to be more cautious.

If you're going to be this paranoid, then just shut the whole port down for cruise traffic.  If you are this scared of coronavirus that you're going to reject anyone with a hint of influenza, than shut your borders and don't allow anyone to enter or leave. Quarantine yourself from the world.

This is a fear based overreaction that does nothing but continue to stoke fears in the masses.  Denying this ship based on the flu sets a bad example for the future and should have all cruise lines reconsidering stopping at either port in the near future.

If your island cannot handle being a part of the global economy, then it needs to remove itself from it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PrincessPatti said:

Thank you for this.  I live here on Grand Cayman, and if Coronavirus were to hit here, the Island could be completely devastated.  We (and Jamaica) are not equipped to deal with anything like this.  Yes, it is unfortunate that they have missed these ports, but I (and everyone I have spoken with) appreciate the government for taking these precautions.  

We do have one excellent hospital here on Island, but I can assure you they would not be able to handle an outbreak of Coronavirus here.  As stated, it would be as if a Cat 5 hurricane struck the Island.

It’s just a bloody flu, a little more contagious with slightly higher mortality.... there is no real Need for specialized facilities... in Switzerland there was a first confirmed case and neither the government nor the people went crazy and panicking. Carnaval wit 100’000 s of visitors are still being held, boarders are open to Italy .... just quit panicking.... btw, I am a medical professional, managing my own clinic... keep calm and go on living, keep calm and Cruise.....

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Show me where they are denying other ships.

I said I 'suspect' more will follow; we all know none have yet.

20 minutes ago, Beardface said:

If you're going to be this paranoid, then just shut the whole port down for cruise traffic.  This is a dynamic situation. Islands in the Caribbean may do just that. Time will tell. If you are this scared of coronavirus that you're going to reject anyone with a hint of influenza, than shut your borders and don't allow anyone to enter or leave.  Again, time will tell. Quarantine yourself from the world. I suspect some living on the islands would approve of just that. Certainly, that is the right of the people on the island to decide, correct? If they wan the quarantine from the world, they can. 

This is a fear based overreaction that does nothing but continue to stoke fears in the masses.  That may very well be true, but we don't know for certain that it is UNtrue. Denying this ship based on the flu sets a bad example for the future and should have all cruise lines reconsidering stopping at either port in the near future. Are you suggesting that all cruise lines should  boycott Grand Cayman and Jamaica? If so, I suggest you boycott any port that refuses ship entry in the upcoming months. It's got to start somewhere.

If your island cannot handle being a part of the global economy, then it needs to remove itself from it. Grand Cayman and Jamaica removed themselves the economy generated by Meraviglia. 

'll be glad to admit I'm wrong if, in a few weeks, Meraviglia is the only ship denied entry to a Caribbean island I'll revisit this thread. I'm a big girl and can admit when my suspicions do not come to fruition. 

4 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Once again, the flu infects millions annually with death rates in the 5-6 figures.  If these islands are so ill prepared to deal with an outbreak they never should have opened up their borders in the first place, because the common flu has the potential to ravage the region annually.  And yet, that hasn't happened, now has it? I'm suggesting that islands have a right to do what they feel is best. I would suspect that the issue is that we know so much about the common flu, while many variables (including a vaccine) remain unknown with NCoV. 

Oh, but the country of nearly 1.4 billion people has about 70k people (0.005%) infected with a disease, so now we have to have a global panic and shut down all borders and create a hysteria that plummets world markets and economies, right?  Yeah, that wouldn't be an overreaction at all!  Oh, and even if you want to count all those 70k people just to the Hubei region, that's still only 0.12% of the population infected of the 58m in total.  And remember, the current infection rates are actually falling in that area. I don't disagree with any of these stats. My stock has taken a hit over the news hype, but I've picked up some shares from my travel portfolio at record lows. The world market has a way of sustaining itself.

I'm not disagreeing that much of the NCoV discussion is based on media hype. Hell, much of everything we discuss is based on media hype anymore.  I believe that USA media is as much more about selling advertisement as it is sharing news. However; if we knew more about this virus, it is likely the media frenzy would dissipate. It is the unknown nature of this NCoV that keeps people curious. Since NCoV is in the forefront of the news, I think it's reasonable to discuss travel plans on a travel forum without being called irresponsible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not disagreeing that much of the NCoV discussion is based on media hype. Hell, much of everything we discuss is based on media hype anymore.  I believe that USA media is as much more about selling advertisement as it is sharing news. However; if we knew more about this virus, it is likely the media frenzy would dissipate. It is the unknown nature of this NCoV that keeps people curious. Since NCoV is in the forefront of the news, I think it's reasonable to discuss travel plans on a travel forum without being called irresponsible. 

You say that we don't have a vaccine for coronavirus, but in reality, we don't really have a vaccine for influenza, either.  We have a flu shot, yes, but there are multiple strains of the flu that spread annually, and the shot only helps contain one or two of the strains.  In the years where the flu hits bad, its because the vaccine was developed for one strain and one of the others became dominant.  And the main problem is that these strains are in a constant state of mutation so the shots themselves are only marginally beneficial to preventing it.  In most cases, it only helps keep the reaction to the virus minimal.

Similar situation exists here with the coronavirus.  Its not the virus itself that does the most damage.  Its the fact that it hits you like the flu, and leaves you vulnerable to secondary infections, like pneumonia.  For the majority, your natural immune response will be more than enough to fight it off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beardface said:

You say that we don't have a vaccine for coronavirus, but in reality, we don't really have a vaccine for influenza, either

Huh? Vaccine or no vaccine, (notice how I put vaccine in parenthesis ;-)),  I suspect it is the unknown factor about NCoV that is keeping it in the news cycle. Certainly you must admit that we know less about NCoV than we do influenza. In addition, My stance is that because we know less, islands like Grand Cayman and Jamaica are well within their right to be extra cautious. 

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

The Holland America Ship Westerdamm was denied access to several ports in Asia until finally Cambodia accepted them.

I was specifically talking about Ocho Rios and Georgetown.

I find it difficult to blame anyone for denying access in the epicenter of where it was going on.  Literally the other side of the planet, on the other hand, seems excessive.

7 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I was specifically talking about Ocho Rios and Georgetown.

I find it difficult to blame anyone for denying access in the epicenter of where it was going on.  Literally the other side of the planet, on the other hand, seems excessive.

Well, in fairness to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman, we must not forget to add St. Lucia and Dominica to the list. They both refused entry to a Costa ship due to Corona scare not too long ago.  Neither of those two islands are on the other side of the planet.

Excessive or not , my point is that it is within the right of the island to refuse entry. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gritsnc said:

We missed ports years ago due to weather and they gave everyone $50 onboard credit and refunded excursion fees that were booked directly through the cruise line. 

This is exactly what they did last week when the Mera couldn't get to ocean cay

While the story hasn't been picked up by mainstream media yet,  various travel forums, Reuters, and a few other sources are reporting that MSC Meraviglia has just been denied entry into Cozumel.