Recent experience at Port Canaveral?

SRQMom

Anyone with recent boarding experience at Cape Canaveral?  We purchased Specialty Dining the first night (took the 5:30 spot).  I had planned to get the FTTF to insure we got boarded and room ready to insure we would be able to dress for dinner, etc. without a rush.  I'm not sure if boarding is slower now due to the Coronavirus, etc (maybe additional screening?), figured I'd see if there was any recent experience on that and if "thoughts'" on whether we'll have our suitcases, be in our room, by 4:30 without the FTTF.  Our "arrival time" is listed as 11:30 to 12 and Boarding Zone A07.  We don't cruise on Carnival much so any insight would be great. Thanks.  

Cabins are available at 1:30 PM if you don’t have FTTF. It’s hard to predict when luggage will get to your cabin. We always drop off luggage, which are labeled priority due to our loyalty status, with porters.  However, even with priority we have had luggage arrive at the cabin as late as 5 PM.

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

I just boarded at Port Everglades a couple of weeks ago down in Fort Lauderdale. Different port, I know, but... we had a 12:30-1:00 arrival appointment. We arrived at 12:10 and were on the ship by 12:35.

The only coronavirus screening was to fill out a questionnaire if you've been to China recently or been in contact with someone who has been to China recently.

I believe our suitcases arrived to our room around 2-3pm.

We cruised on Breeze, Feb 8-15 and had no issues boarding.  I would suggest carrying on your change of clothes if you want to dress for dinner that first night, just to be safe.  We were priority and had all of our luggage shortly after the Safety Briefing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Anyone with recent boarding experience at Cape Canaveral?  We purchased Specialty Dining the first night (took the 5:30 spot).  I had planned to get the FTTF to insure we got boarded and room ready to insure we would be able to dress for dinner, etc. without a rush.  I'm not sure if boarding is slower now due to the Coronavirus, etc (maybe additional screening?), figured I'd see if there was any recent experience on that and if "thoughts'" on whether we'll have our suitcases, be in our room, by 4:30 without the FTTF.  Our "arrival time" is listed as 11:30 to 12 and Boarding Zone A07.  We don't cruise on Carnival much so any insight would be great. Thanks.  

Because you don't cruise on Carnival much, you may not be aware that on Embarkation day, the dress code for dining is relaxed.  Many people will wear what they wore when flying or driving in to the port.  Unless you really want to dress up a bit, you can get by with what you have on if you don't get your luggage right away.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Because you don't cruise on Carnival much, you may not be aware that on Embarkation day, the dress code for dining is relaxed.  Many people will wear what they wore when flying or driving in to the port.  Unless you really want to dress up a bit, you can get by with what you have on if you don't get your luggage right away.  Hope this helps.

You can apply the relaxed dress code for dining for every night of the cruise. Carnival has a dress code for both casual and elegant nights, but is has been several years since I have seen them enforce the dress code in the MDR from my personal experience. That is also consistent with countless other comments I have read on this and other sites. 

6 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I know the kids will likely be in the pool first chance.  LOL.  Grandpa and Grandpa will pack a change of clothes (mostly for the kids) and toiletries to freshin up just in case our suitcases haven't arrived by 5.  We typically dress up for the Streakhouse/specialty restaurants, but thanks for the reminder that dress codes are more relaxed on sailing day.  Thanks.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:25 PM, SRQMom said:

You should have no problems with boarding on time, and your cabin will be available by 1:30. I just carry EVERYTHING I might need that first day in my carry on, then I don’t worry about my luggage. 

we had no FTTF and 12:30 boarding time according to checkin paperwork . left hotel at 11am. on the ship by 11:50 at the latest. no line, no issues, right on. easy peasy. this was in December 2019.

have used FTTF before (Baltimore) bc I wanted an early tender to the HMC. 

you will be fine for dinner. boat leaves at 4 

On 2/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, SRQMom said:

Anyone with recent boarding experience at Cape Canaveral?  ........  I'm not sure if boarding is slower now due to the Coronavirus, etc (maybe additional screening?), figured I'd see if there was any recent experience on that.....

I sailed on the Elation out of Port Canaveral last week.  The only extra health 'precaution' was a short questionnaire which had to be filled out prior to entering the terminal.  Both times I've sailed out of Port Canaveral boarding has been very smooth.

As has been mentioned, cabins will be ready by 1:30 for all guests.  Even if you purchase FTF there's no guarantee your luggage will arrive early, I tried FTF one time and my luggage didn't get to my room until 5:30 (but at least it did finally arrive). 

We live in Florida and have sailed Carnival from 4 of the 5 major cruise ports (we have never sailed from Jacksonville)

IMO, Port Canaveral has the best layout and is the most efficient port in the state

We sailed Breeze in Mar 2019 and Liberty in Nov 2019 from PC.  In both cases, from the time that we were dropped at the port until the time that we walked into the Ship's Atrium was 15 minutes tops (boarded at 1:30 PM for Breeze and 11:45 AM for Liberty).

In both cases, luggage was delivered between 3 to 4 PM, but if you are concerned, you can always carry on an outfit and iron it in the self serve laundry

7 minutes ago, Bowman1 said:

We live in Florida and have sailed Carnival from 4 of the 5 major cruise ports (we have never sailed from Jacksonville)

IMO, Port Canaveral has the best layout and is the most efficient port in the state

We sailed Breeze in Mar 2019 and Liberty in Nov 2019 from PC.  In both cases, from the time that we were dropped at the port until the time that we walked into the Ship's Atrium was 15 minutes tops (boarded at 1:30 PM for Breeze and 11:45 AM for Liberty).

In both cases, luggage was delivered between 3 to 4 PM, but if you are concerned, you can always carry on an outfit and iron it in the self serve laundry

When we were researching for our first cruise, I watched so many utube videos on recommending exactly that. Carry on the outfit that you will wear on the first night of dinner. That's good advice! 👍