More Cut-backs?

bigmjh

Just saw one of the Princess ships  in California  has a couple of cases

& a woman travelled to Egypt  then  went to  the local seniors centre   near us  & now  testing for the virus

Who knows  how many people  may have been in contact  with her or places  she went

China will be safe to go to but the rest of the world will not

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

& a woman travelled to Egypt  then  went to  the local seniors centre   near us  & now  testing for the virus

Who knows  how many people  may have been in contact  with her or places  she went

Here in LA the Princess had NORO..nothing else

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, I was just about to post about this.

I certainly hope that this will not become a repeat of Diamond in Yokohama. That is a lot of people to disembark from the ship in SF without testing and sending them all over the country.

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

They may be dropping like a stone in China but rising like a tide elsewhere and in US

far better precautions and containment here......  Look at this objectively   the whole corona thing is only about 21days old  . I suspect after 21  here in the US  it will be over....  Panic turns to old news.......People will see things in perspective....

30 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

far better precautions and containment here......  Look at this objectively   the whole corona thing is only about 21days old  . I suspect after 21  here in the US  it will be over....  Panic turns to old news.......People will see things in perspective....

I guess you got your crystal ball back - glad it's working again 😀

Kidding aside - I hope that you are proven right.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Really- expert opinion from the North!

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I certainly hope that this will not become a repeat of Diamond in Yokohama. That is a lot of people to disembark from the ship in SF without testing and sending them all over the country.

The latest I hear on local news from the Governor that the ship will not be allowed to dock until everyone is tested. They will sending the kits to the ship.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

The latest I hear on local news from the Governor that the ship will not be allowed to dock until everyone is tested. They will sending the kits to the ship.

yes just saw that report   too bad for those onboard 

On 3/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, Aloha 1 said:

Every year we hear of numerous cases of norovirus disrupting cruises yet the cruise lines carry on with minimal disruption. Every year the flu kills tens of thousands of Americans and much more elsewhere. It is endemic worldwide. Yet the cruise lines carry on. We have had 2 pandemics in the last 63 years. The Asian flu in the late 50's and the Hong Kong flu in 1968. Both were severe worldwide pandemics that killed millions.  Today we have Covid-19 which by all accounts is: 1) less serious than the flu, 2) has a lower mortality rate than the flu, and 3) is highly contagious like the flu. I would submit that we suffer from too many Hollywood movies about the end of the world due to a virus which is helping cause this fear among the populous.

Oceania ( AKA Norwegian) will do whatever needs to be done to fill the upcoming voyages. If that means discounts, fantastic. If it means increased O Life Choices, great. I'm booked on Riviera in September for the Eastern Med out of Rome. Not cancelling.

All true, but do you want to get stuck on a ship like the situation in Yokahama?  You may not get sick, but you could be greatly inconvenienced, if some other people bring it onboard and you are anchored a mile offshore at you debarkation Port. 

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Today we have Covid-19 which by all accounts is: 1) less serious than the flu, 2) has a lower mortality rate than the flu

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

All true

Actually, neither of those statements are true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Actually, neither of those statements are true.

Perhaps the poster was watching Fox News last night when Trump proclaimed that the WHO's current 3.4% estimate of the death rate is false...:classic_rolleyes: 

The death rate is expected to go down of course as more people with mild symptoms get tested are are identified as having COVID-19, but no has ever said the mortality rate is lower, or even that it is eventually expected to be lower than seasonal influenza.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, susiesan said:

Farther out a few months, there should be no problems with cruises. But for anyone cruising in the next few months, flying overseas for your cruise could be problematic. UA just announced cutbacks in flights both domestic and international:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/united-cutting-flights-in-april-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Someone may be willing and wanting to go on their cruise but they may not be able to get there and back. What happens if half of the booked people either cancel or can't get to their cruise? Would O sail with half or less full ships?

We have no clue as to where the operational break even point on a specific cruise ship is. Could be significantly different for an R ship vs an O. 

Cancelling a cruise will equal costs without revenue. Sailing provides revenue, even if diminished.

I believe the actions of the airlines will drive the decisions more than anything else.

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the actions of the airlines will drive the decisions more than anything else.

So true. Right now, my flights to meet the June 26 Marina cruise out of Stockholm are a go with no schedule changes since I was ticketed. They are on AC and SAS flights obtained with UA points. If that changes shortly before we are due to fly to Copenhagen and the flights are cancelled I will have no choice but to cancel the cruise. So I will be packed and ready to go and make the decision up to 48 hours before the cruise which is when we are flying.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, susiesan said:

O is not lowering prices to entice people to book.  

Susiesan, O is not lowering prices publicly, but yesterday when I saw that my upcoming cruise on Sirena (next week) I had my TA contact O to see what it would cost to upgrade from veranda to concierge since the O site had gone from fully waitlisted to available in all categories except inside.  We were able to get an A1 on the stern, deck 7 for all of $250 pp.  (I had called O on Monday as staterooms were opening up on their site, and was given the full price by an O customer service person.)

I suggest - if you decide to take the cruise - that you wait a bit for more availability, then do the same as we did.

18 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Susiesan, O is not lowering prices publicly, but yesterday when I saw that my upcoming cruise on Sirena (next week) I had my TA contact O to see what it would cost to upgrade from veranda to concierge since the O site had gone from fully waitlisted to available in all categories except inside.  We were able to get an A1 on the stern, deck 7 for all of $250 pp.  (I had called O on Monday as staterooms were opening up on their site, and was given the full price by an O customer service person.)

I suggest - if you decide to take the cruise - that you wait a bit for more availability, then do the same as we did.

Perhaps, in your scenario, the primary difference was:

You had your TA call Oceania 

versus

You talking to an Oceania customer service person!

Well Duh! Which do I believe would be more productive?? Makes the first sentence, second paragraph, rather moot. Just suggesting to call your TA is sufficient! 

5 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

That is the plan now, especially with the new travel assurance policy with any extra perks offered to entice people to book will be given to those already booked and paid. I will keep an eye out as I doubt O would contact me to offer me the extra perks but I will have to find them myself and ask for them.

3 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

What category Veranda were you in and how much was the website listed price to move up? 

On 3/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, pinotlover said:

Perhaps, in your scenario, the primary difference was:

You had your TA call Oceania 

versus

You talking to an Oceania customer service person!

Well Duh! Which do I believe would be more productive?? Makes the first sentence, second paragraph, rather moot. Just suggesting to call your TA is sufficient! 

Pinot, just give O a call for the cruise 3-18 and see what price they give you.  When I telephoned, I didn't tell them I was already booked, so I was given the current price on their website.  It wasn't until my TA called - at my insistence, by the way - that I got the reduced price.  I think 'cold call' to book will still yield the higher price/

On 3/4/2020 at 7:19 PM, Hawaiidan said:

+ 100

On 3/4/2020 at 4:19 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Dan - this is your post from 3/4 and RJB just gave it a +100 today.

I wonder how you feel about your prediction today, less than 10 days later.

Thankfully, according to your prediction, we have only 11 more days to go before it's over and panic turns to old news (sarcasm emoji)

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

+ 100

How are your stocks doing today?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Thankfully, according to your prediction, we have only 11 more days to go before it's over and panic turns to old news (sarcasm emoji)

Well  ,the companies I invest in are solid.. stock have take a dip...  and  my investments are purely for recreation." beer money.'.. Unlike some who rely totally on their investment performance    I have other income sources that more than take care of my daily needs.    

I sold a portion in Jan  for all my 2020 adventures  , So I am covered... 

Remembering 2008, and more than recouping any short term set back. for those willing to sit back and be patient.. 

This is a situation, whether investing or travel ,that  the only people that really get hurt are the same ones that ride roller coasters..........the ones that jump off !    Yes my optimism was in error... maybe 3 months more  Maybe less   

By the way  Princess, Viking and several others have ALL shut down all cruises for a month or more

Sit back pour your self a favorite beverage  and watch Disney +and wait.

23 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Today, Dow up 2000 pts.   Tomorrow who knows.  If news media will stop this crazy hype than things can settle down and we can take care of this problem as we did a number of times in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:22 PM, tocruiseguy said:

Agreed, this could change the industry for some time.  Airlines are also suffering but with the 737 Max issue lingering at least airlines can retask some of their long-range newer airplanes to domestic routes.  Obviously cruise lines can't do this, if the virus expands dramatically to places like Italy, and Asia is out, where could they possibly re-deploy their ships.  The Diamond Princess shows you how a highly infectious virus can spread throughout a ship.  Maybe the days of the self serve buffet will end.  I see too many male passengers walk past the washroom sinks while i am scrubbing my hands, just gross....sorry this is all off topic.... 

Oceania has always been better at keeping the buffet hands free. Now I am on Sirena. Here everyone is washing hands and using hand sanitizer.  The sanitizer dispensers are everywhere.  At each dining venue as you enter, a person is telling you to sanitize. We do it everywhere. We also have bottles of sanitizer spray which we were told to use when off the ship. Since we only got off in 2 ports, we still have plenty. In the Buffet, nobody is allowed to pick up anything. Servers wearing gloves serve you. Condiments are not on tables. Servers will bring them and apply them. You do not touch containers. Tables and chairs are washed after each use, railings and counters are continually being wiped. Menus are paper used once. Using tissues to open doors.  It is code red which is what they do for norovirus. Nobody is upset. People are accepting the changes and everyone is trying to keep it clean.