NCL to Alaska

blueflower1968

I'm not new to NCL, I am a platinum member but have always cruised to Bermuda. 

Thinking of booking a cruise to Alaska next year and I am looking for any and all insight I can get regarding the voyage regarding which ship and itineraries are the best!!  Also looking for what time of year is best!!  

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Lots of decisions regarding Alaska.  The Alaska port of call forum would be helpful too.  Basically the first thing you should decide is if you want a one way cruise (either northbound or southbound) or roundtrip Seattle. The one way go to/from Vancouver and Seward (which is south of Anchorage by at least 2.5 hours). The benefits of these are that you get more of the Inside Passage, and you can extend your trip to include a bit of a land portion of Alaska (either before or after), which is really nice.  The other alternative is roundtrip from Seattle, which of course is much more convenient, but goes around the west side of Vancouver Island and therefore the first day is less scenic.  Plus it doesn't go as far north or allow for any land tour in Alaska. The other thing to consider is whether you want to make Glacier Bay a priority- I think the northbound goes there but the southbound doesn't?  But you can check on that.  Finally, for time of year, it's sometimes helpful to think about what you want to see.  If you are really into snow-capped dramatic scenery and lots and lots of daytime hours, then May/June would be best, if you're planning on excursions to see bears feeding on salmon, then August/September would be best, if you want best weather and cost isn't a factor, then July is popular, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

Lots of decisions regarding Alaska.  The Alaska port of call forum would be helpful too.  Basically the first thing you should decide is if you want a one way cruise (either northbound or southbound) or roundtrip Seattle. The one way go to/from Vancouver and Seward (which is south of Anchorage by at least 2.5 hours). The benefits of these are that you get more of the Inside Passage, and you can extend your trip to include a bit of a land portion of Alaska (either before or after), which is really nice.  The other alternative is roundtrip from Seattle, which of course is much more convenient, but goes around the west side of Vancouver Island and therefore the first day is less scenic.  Plus it doesn't go as far north or allow for any land tour in Alaska. The other thing to consider is whether you want to make Glacier Bay a priority- I think the northbound goes there but the southbound doesn't?  But you can check on that.  Finally, for time of year, it's sometimes helpful to think about what you want to see.  If you are really into snow-capped dramatic scenery and lots and lots of daytime hours, then May/June would be best, if you're planning on excursions to see bears feeding on salmon, then August/September would be best, if you want best weather and cost isn't a factor, then July is popular, etc.

Thank you so much!!  It looks like I have a lot of research and decisions to make!!   🙂

There is no best.   Take some time and read through the Alaska board.  Most of your questions are well answered there.  Educate yourself on the ports and routes. You need this basic information to make informed decisions.   

We have done northbound from Vancouver and R/T Seattle. 

Since you are platinum, you are familiar with NCL. The two links below are from R/T Seattle on the Bliss and Joy. You can quickly scan the posts to see what an NCL Alaskan Cruise is all about. 

I would recommend a R/T Bliss that calls at Glacier Bay. big ship, purpose built for Alaska  

There is more to cruising than cruising Alaska - WAIT let me finish !

There are Land Tour packages pre-post cruise.

The cruise ships don't dock at Mt. Denali thus consider a package tour.

At each port of call there are more than a dozen shore excursions.

no bikini beach parties -

but salmon on the BBQ -

gold panning -

zip lining - 

whale sightings -

helicopter and fixed wing aerial flights to misty fjords

glacier viewing not only from the ship but from hiking excursions

WPYRR railroad trips over the Canadian border

AND did I mention melting (calving) glaciers -

hurry before the melting ice creates new views 

But there is oh so much more - one cruise will only whet your interest

in a return trip to take more of it all in -

However if taking only one trip to Alaska plan to stay up with the

midnight sun to take as much of it in as possible.

Leads

CC this main forum

Alaska boards - LINK:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

To be fair NCL is not the only fish in the Alaska cruise scene

there is Princess and Holland America for more views and

discussion options with their own forums

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

To be fair NCL is not the only fish in the Alaska cruise scene

there is Princess and Holland America for more views and

discussion options with their own forums

Gotta agree here... As a long time resident of Alaska, I would have to recommend Princess for a cruise to Alaska. I don't have any problems with NCL in general but Princess does a much better job with Alaska itineraries. You can see from my signature that I've recently sailed NCL more than Princess. I'm not loyal to one brand only.

A few years ago we sailed south from Alaska to Vancouver on Princess and after a few day in Vancouver we sailed back north to Alaska on NCL. The itineraries were identical..... same ports for a similar amount of time in each. We had the same category of cabin on each ship. Princess, who has been sailing Alaska longer than the other lines, just "Alaska-fied" the trip.

With Princess:

• Staff were often in Alaska/Gold-rush-era outfits.
  • Ship was decorated in Alaska theme.
  • In one port (Juneau I think) They brought sled dog puppies onboard for play time and photo opps.
  • In one port Libby Riddles, first woman to win the Iditarod, came on and gave a lecture.
  • Alaska-themed menus
  • If you are planning a land portion be advised that Princess owns/operates their own hotels, lodges, rail cars, etc. NCL rents or leases whatever is available. Princess has a long history in Alaska and has made some pretty sizeable investments in infrastructure for their passengers
  • Princess sails from Whittier, a port much closer to Anchorage than NCL's port of Seward.

I wrote a review of this trip shortly after we travelled but it has been lost since CC revamped the site. I do remember saying that NCL will provide you with a cruise to Alaska but Princess will provide you with an Alaskan cruise.

You won't be disappointed either way but why not take the one that offers you the most?

Also, regardless of which line you select, make sure your itinerary includes Glacier Bay. 

Hope this helps,

~Brian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blueflower1968 said:

I'm not new to NCL, I am a platinum member but have always cruised to Bermuda. 

Thinking of booking a cruise to Alaska next year and I am looking for any and all insight I can get regarding the voyage regarding which ship and itineraries are the best!!  Also looking for what time of year is best!!  

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Why are you interested in Alaska?  Itinerary, ship, tours, food, glaciers, wildlife?  Alaska is different.  Alaska is the show.    The ship is just a way of getting from one place to another.  I spent 10 weeks in Alaska last year on cruise ships.  Each journey pretty much all the same and yet they were all very different.  Just way to much to do in Alaska.  Looking forward to another season.✌️

Others have said it, but I will emphasize it again.

1) NCL does Glacier Bay and for sure don't miss it.

2) Suggest the one way cruise from Vancouver to Seward, then take a tour that included Denali.  We found a cheaper and great tour to Denali through Alaska tours and travel that was cheaper than NCL's add on.

3) We loved our aft-balcony on the Sun.  Great way to see the glaciers.

4) Spend a few days in Vancouver prior to your cruise, great city.

The land package is probably the best option, but a good second choice is the Sun 11 day itinerary out of Seattle, we are on the Sept 4th sailing and the ship visits Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Dawes Glacier, then spends 12 hours in port in Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Skagway and Juneau.  It also has shorter stops in Victoria and in Ketchikan.