Thinking of Cancelling European Cruise June 2020 - Am I the only one?

GatorMomInNC

8 minutes ago, aprilF said:

Have you cruised out of the eastern US in September before?  Cruising during hurricane season is it's own emotional roller coaster.  I dont think you could pay me to do it twice in one year.  LOL

Yes, several times fortunately with no issues so far (knock on wood).  For the last several years one or both of my children have had September off of school.  This is the last year that will happen, which is why I am thinking of taking another cruise in September if I don't go in June.  I have to get my cruising fix in...

1 minute ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Yes, several times fortunately with no issues so far (knock on wood).  For the last several years one or both of my children have had September off of school.  This is the last year that will happen, which is why I am thinking of taking another cruise in September if I don't go in June.  I have to get my cruising fix in...

You are very lucky!  After last years experience (that turned out fine) I just dont think I want the stress of cruising  during September or early October.  We are on the coast and so I have to worry about our home plus where ever we are going, it was just way too stressful last year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Well, as you said BettyBurrito, when my travel agent called MSC today they said this was no more.  I told my TA I would wait a few days, but then I got to kind of stewing on it and decided to call and cancel when I got home from work.  Just got off the phone with my TA. Took almost an hour, but I am cancelled.  I am both said and relieved.  Still have our flights and no way to refund them, so I would love to think maybe I could rebook down the road, but too much uncertainty.  Told my TA if they would shorten the window to even 45 days I would have let them hold onto everything and waited to cancel, but with current travel restrictions I just couldn't risk it.

But weird thing - my TA was told to ask me why I was cancelling (um, duh?) and when I said basically the coronavirus, TA was told she had to be transferred to another department .  Then she was told I was "allowed" to cancel (yeah, I am over 100 days out from my cruise!); but then they transferred her and put her on hold again and in the end it is cancelled, but they are saying 1 to 2 billing cycles to get reimbursed. 

Sorry to hear. MSC could have done a great thing with extending the cancellation period. Looks like we're in the same boat.

• Like 4

Ok, first of all Europe is different. As far as Italy goes I Wouldnt recommend going to Sicily for example because they got the most of infected people there. The north of Italy should be fine. Anyway you are not going any further than your port city so I would not even bother thinking about it 

Lol.. ok!! Well North Italy is having the issues not Sicily.. and one of my ports is Sicily! It’s all good.. we are going on this cruise, we’re youngish and healthy and I’m optimistic that this will pass.  

22 hours ago, Hootss said:

Sorry to hear about the cancer L2Float.  Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.  She is doing as well as can be expected and we look forward to these cruises (ours is scheduled for July) as a great way to get away from the daily grind.  

Thank you for the encouragement. So glad to hear that you’re traveling together after 2 years. Hoping all of our summer cruises go as planned.

10 hours ago, L2float said:

Thank you for the encouragement. So glad to hear that you’re traveling together after 2 years. Hoping all of our summer cruises go as planned.

Yeah, us too!

Two years ago my husband and I had booked a Mediterranean cruise on the “New”Grandiosa (Yacht Club cabins) to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary this year in June/July.  We invited and included our two daughters and their families (son-in-law and two teenage grandsons) along for the fun.  

Our plans/reservations also included a three-day stay in an apartment in Rome and seeing all the sights there plus a fast train ride to Naples for a tour of Capri and Pompeii.  My husband and I carefully booked and planned for these past two years with a lot of attention to detail.  

But, with this Coronavirus problem, we finally decided that it would be best for all to cancel/POSTPONE our plans for now.  It was a hard pill to swallow but our only choice.  

Because our ‘final payment due’ was still a few weeks away, MSC FULLY refunded all of our money (deposit and excursions we had previously paid for).

I’m not sure if we’ll get back anything on our Delta flight costs as we used ‘points’ plus upgraded to “comfort” for our flight back (an extra $600). Right now I see that several airlines are crediting ticket costs but it seems you have to rebook and use that credit within a year since purchase.  We purchased back in Oct.’19 (with points) so that wouldn’t work.  Things may change.....

We are in our mid-70’s and our children all have full-time jobs that would be compromised if we got “stuck” somewhere overseas.  We are planning on rebooking with MSC for an identical travel plan for 2022.  

Yes, this is a serious virus but I hope that the media outlets take a more responsible stance on what they report to avoid creating a complete panic!!  We need to keep things in perspective!!!   

On 3/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, Roger88 said:

Ok, first of all Europe is different. As far as Italy goes I Wouldnt recommend going to Sicily for example because they got the most of infected people there. The north of Italy should be fine. Anyway you are not going any further than your port city so I would not even bother thinking about it 

For some reason you keep giving the wrong information on Italy. It is exactly the opposite. The south has less cases than the north. Please inform yourself before writing or are you doing this on purpose?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been monitoring the life cycles of the outbreaks. Looks like China is in good shape and might do a victory lap next month (four months after the outbreak). Daegu is beginning to peak after a 3 week surge. 

At this time, Europe is uncertain because their outbreaks just began. IMO, June looks doable because the flu season ends every year at the time.

I'm booked on the Prezoisa in late May for Northern Europe. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I've been monitoring the life cycles of the outbreaks. Looks like China is in good shape and might do a victory lap next month (four months after the outbreak). Daegu is beginning to peak after a 3 week surge. 

At this time, Europe is uncertain because their outbreaks just began. IMO, June looks doable because the flu season ends every year at the time.

I'm booked on the Prezoisa in late May for Northern Europe. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, that could be true.  But maybe it will still be going on HERE and Europe won't want US 🙂

• Like 1

My question is not significant to current cruisers, but I would appreciate any clarification.  NCL is offering attractive pricing and a small deposit on a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to NYC in Dec, 2020.  My understanding is that after my deposit, my full payment would be due in August. If I purchased independent travel insurance ( around $1,000.00, including CFAR), it would have to be purchased soon after i made the first deposit.  So, if in August I decided not to go, I would lose my NCL deposit and my insurance money. Is that correct?

2 minutes ago, Pboyd said:

My question is not significant to current cruisers, but I would appreciate any clarification.  NCL is offering attractive pricing and a small deposit on a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to NYC in Dec, 2020.  My understanding is that after my deposit, my full payment would be due in August. If I purchased independent travel insurance ( around $1,000.00, including CFAR), it would have to be purchased soon after i made the first deposit.  So, if in August I decided not to go, I would lose my NCL deposit and my insurance money. Is that correct?

yes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Yeah, that could be true.  But maybe it will still be going on HERE and Europe won't want US 🙂

No sooner said than true. 21 confirmed cases on the Grand Princess, out of the first 45 tested. Looks bad. Lousy for the families of those on board.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

No sooner said than true. 21 confirmed cases on the Grand Princess, out of the first 45 tested. Looks bad. Lousy for the families of those on board.

Seriously though, at the rate this is spreading in the US, and they way it is slowing now in China, I could see a scenario where it starts to slow in Europe while still spreading here and they ban US travelers, just as we have banned those from China, Italy, etc.  So maybe I will be denied entry on my international flights in June, and denied entry to Disneyland Paris, and get my money back.  😒

• Like 1

Sidari posted this link in another thread. Looks like Monday will be the announcement for cancellation policy.

In a communication with Cruise Waves, MSC’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for USA Ken Muscat said that the cruise line will make an announcement on this on Monday (9 March 2020).

https://cruisewaves.co.uk/2020/03/07/msc-cruise-guests-left-in-limbo-as-other-operators-announce-coronavirus-cancellation-policies/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sidari posted this link in another thread. Looks like Monday will be the announcement for cancellation policy.

In a communication with Cruise Waves, MSC’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for USA Ken Muscat said that the cruise line will make an announcement on this on Monday (9 March 2020).

https://cruisewaves.co.uk/2020/03/07/msc-cruise-guests-left-in-limbo-as-other-operators-announce-coronavirus-cancellation-policies/

Yes, you are right.

I have a reply from my TA:

We are contacting you regarding your MSC reservations aboard the MSC Grandiosa sailing on May 2, 2020. MSC advised a new cancellation policy will be announced on  Monday, March 9, 2020. Therefore, we will be able to provide further details at that time regarding possible cancellation.

20 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Seriously though, at the rate this is spreading in the US, and they way it is slowing now in China, I could see a scenario where it starts to slow in Europe while still spreading here and they ban US travelers, just as we have banned those from China, Italy, etc.  So maybe I will be denied entry on my international flights in June, and denied entry to Disneyland Paris, and get my money back.  😒

Who knows...we could all be in that boat come May/June/July, but I don't think that will be the case.  It's really hard to know exactly what is going on here in the US right now because so few people have been tested.  By the end of this coming week we could have numbers rivaling Italy or Iran after the tests are more widely available.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 1:59 PM, travelberlin said:

For some reason you keep giving the wrong information on Italy. It is exactly the opposite. The south has less cases than the north. Please inform yourself before writing or are you doing this on purpose?

Amen travelberlin, thanks for calling this person out.  

• Like 3

Decided to keep ours...It was either cancel or pay today. After their 48 hours cancellation policy announcement, decided to keep our plans/airfares...If it gets really bad in the next month we will be still be able to cancel for full refund up to April 7th with just a penalty of original deposit amount. ($200.00).

Or get full credit for use till December 2021.