Cancelling cruise due to corona

Not a username2

1 minute ago, helen haywood said:

One thing I’d really like ALL the cruise lines to do, but especially Celebrity, since I cruise with them the most, is to go to staff serving you in the Buffet.  HAL and Oceania do this already, always.  I think this would stop so many germs from being spread.

We did have this experience on Equinox due to noro. While I agree it’s safer the exercise can be quite excruciating. I still remember the person in front of me at breakfast - everyone in a hurry to eat then go offshore. This person pointed to each piece of fruit they wanted, the server would pick it up and they’d shake their head and ask for another piece to inspect. And so on. It just doesn’t work well on ships of around 3000 people. 

• Like 3

Just now, Pushka said:

We did have this experience on Equinox due to noro. While I agree it’s safer the exercise can be quite excruciating. I still remember the person in front of me at breakfast - everyone in a hurry to eat then go offshore. This person pointed to each piece of fruit they wanted, the server would pick it up and they’d shake their head and ask for another piece to inspect. And so on. It just doesn’t work well on ships of around 3000 people. 

Amen. Plus I feel like I'm back in elementary school. Not relaxing at all. (Though given the chaos that was the OVC on Cozumel morning, I've decided that for future cruises there (and others with very early port times) I'm bringing some Kind Breakfast Protein bars to have with a cup of coffee from Cafe al Baccio.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another cruiseship with over 1000 passengers was denied a port stop in the Dominican Republic today.  

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/485026-third-cruise-ship-refused-port

And the MSC ship that docked this morning in Cozumel after being turned away from Jamaica and Grand Cayman has still not been able to disembark any passengers.  MSC is reportedly giving a 100% refund plus a $200 OBC.

I called my sister last night and told her she should cancel her Apex cruise leaving from Rome in May before final payment is due in a few days. She has some health concerns that could make her more vulnerable to the virus. If it turns out all is ok in May after all, I told her the prices will be far lower than the price she reserved and she can always rebook. But, every indication in the last week is that the situation will get worse rather better in the near to mid term in the cruise world, particularly with the expansion of the virus in Italy.

When she called Celebrity to cancel, she said the agent sounded very stressed and was dealing with a lot of cancellations and was getting hourly updates about the virus.

I am very relieved she cancelled. I was thinking of taking my family in April over school break because the prices are good, but am not going to now. This is a very serious virus for which there is no vaccine and no immunity. There should be no bravado. If you feel unsafe, you should cancel. You can always cruise later once where we see where things go in this new and rapidly developing situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CruiseDad-NYC said:

I called my sister last night and told her she should cancel her Apex cruise leaving from Rome in May before final payment is due in a few days. She has some health concerns that could make her more vulnerable to the virus. If it turns out all is ok in May after all, I told her the prices will be far lower than the price she reserved and she can always rebook. But, every indication in the last week is that the situation will get worse rather better in the near to mid term in the cruise world, particularly with the expansion of the virus in Italy.

When she called Celebrity to cancel, she said the agent sounded very stressed and was dealing with a lot of cancellations and was getting hourly updates about the virus.

I am very relieved she cancelled. I was thinking of taking my family in April over school break because the prices are good, but am not going to now. This is a very serious virus for which there is no vaccine and no immunity. There should be no bravado. If you feel unsafe, you should cancel. You can always cruise later once where we see where things go in this new and rapidly developing situation.

I agree with you completely.  Today I cancelled my May 15 cruise from Rome. Did not have insurance and took the 25% hit. I had to protect myself and my daughter. If things improve I'll rebook.  Maybe offset hit with lower price.  You cannot put a value on health and safety.

And a second ship today, a Carnival, was turned away from a Caribbean port - St Lucia because of Corona Virus fears.

That makes 3 ships that I know of stalled today 1) MSC in Cozumel 2) Carnival in St Lucia and 3) Fred Olsen in Dominican Republic.   ALL Corona Virus Fears.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/02/27/coronavirus-dominican-republic-refuses-cruise-ship-amid-virus-fears/4897600002/

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-crew-member-tested-for-coronavirus-ship-denied-at-caribbean-port/38025

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

If you are able to cancel, that’s one thing.  If you have a cruise coming up that you’ve already paid in full for...without Cancel For Any Reason insurance, then that’s entirely different.

Helen - if your concern about Corona would destroy your experience then the decision has been made for you. If air made by you call the airline. They are working with people to give a reschedule. For your cruise wait until the last minute as with no refund anyway if Corona gets worse your cruise might be cancelled. Then you would get a refund and likely FCC

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CJFE said:

If you charged the cruise on a credit card that Had travel benefits, then that insurance through your credit card will cover you also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not unless you are suffering from a NEW illness. Even the best credit card coverage does not cover pre-existing illnesses. 

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

If you are able to cancel, that’s one thing.  If you have a cruise coming up that you’ve already paid in full for...without Cancel For Any Reason insurance, then that’s entirely different.

Helen - I certainly understand what you are saying, but here is my viewpoint. 

You really are not losing any any money by cancelling. What you are losing is the experience you planned for. The money is already spent. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Helen - I certainly understand what you are saying, but here is my viewpoint. 

You really are not losing any any money by cancelling. What you are losing is the experience you planned for. The money is already spent. 

If you wait to closer to sailing and ship cancels you will get a full refund. That is what we are doing

Ontario Cruiser

If these Ports let in anybody, they might as well open to all since Officials say it can be contagious from people not showing any symptoms.   They are fooling themselves.

The hysteria from this Virus is worse then the virus itself.  80 percent of those with it show symptoms similar to a cold.  So many of these are not seeing a Doctor so not counted in Case numbers.  The regular Flu has killed almost 20,000 people in the US this season, and hospitalized 280,000.

With the cleaning protocols the Ships ( Royal Caribbean and Celebrity at least) have put in place, it may be safer on board then in normal times.   Just be diligent in washing your hands, using hand sanitizer, and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth without cleaning your hands.

We leave Monday for the Southern Caribbean,  if we miss some stops, oh well.

Edited by dennbr9
  • Like 3

We have a cruise leaving March 8 on the Edge.....called this morning for updates......Just getting over a slight cold.......they said this may be a problem boarding .......I am fine but it seems one cough or sniffle could prevent us  or anyone from cruising....I really don’t want to fly to Florida just to be told We can’t board.   Their response was not to worry you will get a complete refund.....? We are not worried about the virus....more worried about Celebrity’s response to a cold, sinus conditions or allergies.

As to symptoms, anyone who travels right now without a suitcase full of stuff to suppress symptoms of even common allergies is asking for trouble. So at a minimum something with cough suppressant, anti-histamine and decongestant.

Gate agents are probably felling terribly overwhelmed. Just not sticking out in any way will help a lot. I have limited options there because I have to do the pat down thing if there is a scanner. But at least there are OTC meds to prevent sneezing in anyone's face while they wand me. And interestingly, the last time I flew international from a Delta terminal I actually was given the full benefit of my pre-check status. So no scanner.

Edited by sayanne

9 minutes ago, llawrence said:

We have a cruise leaving March 8 on the Edge.....called this morning for updates......Just getting over a slight cold.......they said this may be a problem boarding .......I am fine but it seems one cough or sniffle could prevent us  or anyone from cruising....I really don’t want to fly to Florida just to be told We can’t board.   Their response was not to worry you will get a complete refund.....? We are not worried about the virus....more worried about Celebrity’s response to a cold, sinus conditions or allergies.

Get a doctor's note.  Also if you are sure it is a cold - #1 it will be gone by March 8th #2 take a couple Benadryl.

DW has asthma. Gonna be interesting. She has low oxygen saturation levels always. Taking a note from doc 

A Celebrity rep over the phone isn’t going to be able to give specifics on how they screen and what is allowed/not allowed, in my opinion. But what I’ve read on what celebrity is doing as checks is if someone has a sneeze or some type of outward symptom, they will check their body temp and will check the blood oxygen level with those finger clamp-things (you can see I’m an expert in this area). And you may be screened by a Dr. 

So hopefully, they can screen after-cold affects and allergies. But if someone is showing up with active Flu and so on, not even Corona, there’s a good chance they wouldn’t be allowed on. That is what they would have done in the past, but they just didn’t have the closer screening, and people would fake it to get on.

Heck, there are more than a few reports of people lying to get through screenings during this Corona time, such as that comedian off the Dream who snuck out of the hotel because he had a ‘gig’ back in the US, because he ‘knew’ he wasn’t sick....yeah right. I’ll expose everyone because I’m me and to heck with everyone else. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, sandbox202 said:

If they are not allowing boarding to anyone - passenger or crew - who has travel thru the infected countries within 14 days...….

So if I have a cruise departing Rome and I arrive in Rome the day before, will they refused me entry onto the ship as Italy is one of the counties listed?  How will that work if they are departing from the same country that they are banning travel from?

They will not be allowed on board. Simple. Not a big effect yet except to Celebrity crew scheduling department.

A thought, since there appears to be no effort to fill our April TA. Some 200+ open cabins showing last week. Is that because they likely will have less crew?

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Sounds like us--we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason.  I consider myself a high risk person, so this is a big decision.  And we are on a B/B out of Southampton.  Celebrity told me that I would get a complete refund if I am denied boarding.  Great--now I am in England so what would I do? 

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

They will not be allowed on board. Simple. Not a big effect yet except to Celebrity crew scheduling department.

A thought, since there appears to be no effort to fill our April TA. Some 200+ open cabins showing last week. Is that because they likely will have less crew?

This cannot be correct.  The ban currently in place is not referencing cruises that depart out of Italy.  The decision on those cruises is yet to come.  

I already have packed all types of meds....we do not get sick often...I feel this is ridiculous to have to carry all this.   I know I will be fine by the 8th.  Of course in NC we now have the yellow pine pollen affecting everyone....lol.....I was told you have to be turned down when you try to board to get a full refund.....Celebrity is taking all the right precautions to protect us......but this tends to put more stress then the virus on cruisers.  We have cruised for many years. I would never cruise sick or put other cruisers at risk. Not fun for me or anyone else.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

This cannot be correct.  The ban currently in place is not referencing cruises that depart out of Italy.  The decision on those cruises is yet to come.  

I think there is a misunderstanding going on here. I believe az-tchr is meaning that the crew is under the same restrictions as passengers. If a crew went home to China or S Korea, or in the case of Italy, Venice, then they would not be allowed to board any ship. Just the same as passengers. This obviously adversely impacts crewmembers, especially if they were home when this all started. Very tricky.

Den

• Thanks 1

As much as it pains me to say this, hysteria seems to have taken over this situation worldwide.  Not much science and logic and a lot of politics and fear.  Stock markets collapsing for no valid economic reason. As for cruising and travel, it is now a different situation than just a week ago.  In my opinion, now it is a buyer beware situation - not really from an increased danger of the virus -  but because local restrictions and politicians are making everything unpredictable even at unaffected ports like in the Caribbean.

20 minutes ago, NJ Gal said:

Sounds like us--we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason.  I consider myself a high risk person, so this is a big decision.  And we are on a B/B out of Southampton.  Celebrity told me that I would get a complete refund if I am denied boarding.  Great--now I am in England so what would I do? 

Enjoy London and the country side via train, bus or auto?

bon voyage

• Like 1