Cancelling cruise due to corona

Not a username2

19 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

This cannot be correct.  The ban currently in place is not referencing cruises that depart out of Italy.  The decision on those cruises is yet to come.  

Helen - it is correct. Crew is subject to exactly the same restrictions as passengers. Thus crew from several countries would not be allowed on board. If with the next CLIA notice additional countries or areas are added staffing will become more difficult.

On a side note, I've always noticed the amount of coughing always seems to increase on a ship around the 6-8th day on a cruise (and then a week later as well), basically due to symptoms of viruses taking hold that were caught along the way to embarking on a cruise (e.g., in the airport or on a plane) and then subsequently passed along on the ship.

With all the new heightened concern about hygiene to avoid catching the corona virus, I wonder when we go on our upcoming 26 day TA and Med B2B on the Infinity, if our ship will be a less sickly than on previous springtime cruises? Hope so.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

30 minutes ago, llawrence said:

I already have packed all types of meds....we do not get sick often...I feel this is ridiculous to have to carry all this.   I know I will be fine by the 8th.  Of course in NC we now have the yellow pine pollen affecting everyone....lol.....I was told you have to be turned down when you try to board to get a full refund.....Celebrity is taking all the right precautions to protect us......but this tends to put more stress then the virus on cruisers.  We have cruised for many years. I would never cruise sick or put other cruisers at risk. Not fun for me or anyone else.... 

Maybe a crazy idea but my recall is that Duke University says they have developed a rapid test for coronavirus. Would it be too nuts to see if your physician could get his hands on that and clear you for it before leaving?

2 minutes ago, sayanne said:

Maybe a crazy idea but my recall is that Duke University says they have developed a rapid test for coronavirus. Would it be too nuts to see if your physician could get his hands on that and clear you for it before leaving?

CDC must test first before any distribution of these test kits can take place.

bon voyage

16 minutes ago, sayanne said:

Two reasons not to. 1. I believe they are not testing people who haven't been exposed/displaying symptoms due to it creating too many false positives, so very likely your doctor would either be unable to or failing to follow proper protocal in giving it to you

2. I did see an article recently in the news about a coronovirus victim who was tested in the us and received a $3,000 bill for the test.  I can't see insurance covering an unnecessary medical test simply to facilitate you being able to take your vacation more easily.

46 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Helen - it is correct. Crew is subject to exactly the same restrictions as passengers. Thus crew from several countries would not be allowed on board. If with the next CLIA notice additional countries or areas are added staffing will become more difficult.

I am specifically referring to a cruise departing out of Rome.  If I were to fly from the USA and have not visited any of the other countries on the banned list....I would be banned from boarding my cruise ship because I traveled to Rome?!

1 hour ago, NJ Gal said:

Sounds like us--we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason.  I consider myself a high risk person, so this is a big decision.  And we are on a B/B out of Southampton.  Celebrity told me that I would get a complete refund if I am denied boarding.  Great--now I am in England so what would I do? 

I agree with Bo......we spent a week in the Cornwall area west of Southampton and loved it, and stayed in a nice pub/hotel near Southampton and visited Portsmouth with the HMS Victory, and a fantastic Ancient Farm that had all the different type buildings use in England since the stone age. 

Den

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I am specifically referring to a cruise departing out of Rome.  If I were to fly from the USA and have not visited any of the other countries on the banned list....I would be banned from boarding my cruise ship because I traveled to Rome?!

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Why would you? Italy has specific regions where you would be banned. Rome - TODAY - is not one of them.

I specifically was referring mostly to crew, but certainly passengers would be effected too that live or transited through Veneto or Lombardy.

Would not have guessed the outbreak this soon in Italy and Iran. Not surprising about Japan and South Korea.

CLIA will issue its next travel alert in March. Will be interesting.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

No. As I said many, many posts ago, Italy is not a listed country, only the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. Consequently, if you fly directly into Rome without travelling though any of the listed countries/regions, you'll be able to board.

The real problem arises for scheduled cruises out of Venice. I've seen nothing official from Celebrity to date, but based on their current travel advisory, those cruises would have to be cancelled or the itineraries modified to exclude Venice. Other cruises with Venice as a port of call would also need to be modified.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

The Lazio region (includes Rome) is yet not on the list of regions to avoid. I hope it won’t be added, as we’re departing from Civitavecchia in May. You can remain abreast of developments by bookmarking the travel warning pages at the CDC, your airline, and Celebrity. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone recall what happened to cruises during the SARS outbreak? I wasn’t cruising during that time, so didn’t really pay attention to any issues that arose.

I know now that cruising is under the microscope due to the Diamond Princess, the Westerdam and other ships denied docking in ports.

Final payment for my cruise out of Venice is due in six days. I am holding on til the last second to make the call whether to cancel or go ahead and pray that things change in the next three months when we would be getting on the plane. Right now it is not looking good, though.

3 hours ago, NJ Gal said:

Sounds like us--we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason.  I consider myself a high risk person, so this is a big decision.  And we are on a B/B out of Southampton.  Celebrity told me that I would get a complete refund if I am denied boarding.  Great--now I am in England so what would I do? 

Do what the other 60 million people in England do. Have a great time and enjoy the place.😁

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am booked on May 15 out of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have inside information on what Celebrity plans to do?  I am not worried about the virus but need to deal with airfare etc. Also, the cancellation penalty goes to Up 50 % This weekend. 

I am booked on the same cruise. Since the advisory was only updated this evening, Celebrity hasn’t had a chance to evaluate their options, let alone react. We’re all in the same position, waiting for answers.

Edited by Silkroad

1 minute ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am booked on May 15 out of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have inside information on what Celebrity plans to do?  I am not worried about the virus but need to deal with airfare etc. Also, the cancellation penalty goes to Up 50 % This weekend. 

I was booked on same cruise until two days ago when I called to cancel. Took the 25% hit. The TA that I spoke with said she had no updates on that cruise regarding cancellation or change of port. I cancelled without insuraance because I am over 70 traveling with my daughter. I'm in good health but caught a virus in June travelling that put me in hospital for a week after returning home.  Didn't want to take a risk that conditions will worsen, which i think they have, and get sick again.  I thought if things improve I'll book same cruise maybe cheaper.

My air is with points so I can redeposit them with UA for a fee.

Now I don't have to stress about the $ anymore. But sad because we really were excited about this cruise. Had been in plans for a year.