RCL Stock

heidikay

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Well...have never purchased RCI stock before, but since it is down so far now....decided to buy 121 shares.  My broker thinks I am nuts and advised against it.  But..."eh"...I told him it will be my "pet stock".  I figure I pay that much for a couple of cruises with nothing to show for it later...so what the heck.  😉 

121 shares? That's a strange number.  Back, before the turn to this decade, when I was really active in the market, shares were usually traded in multiples of 100. Anything different were classified "odd lots" and a premium was charged for the trade. Apparently times have changed.

• Like 1

Re the video:

Listening to it, I think it was geared to the Travel Agents that drive business to RC, hence the "We're in this together"

Though I will say it reminded me of the scene in "Mr. Mom" when she does the commercial for Schooner Tuna .. because "We're all in this together"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

121 shares? That's a strange number.  Back, before the turn to this decade, when I was really active in the market, shares were usually traded in multiples of 100. Anything different were classified "odd lots" and a premium was charged for the trade. Apparently times have changed.

They probably set their order at the beginning of the day for $10000 worth. 121 x 82 is 9922, the largest amount of shares under 10k.

No issue or premium for trading that number of shares.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

They probably set their order at the beginning of the day for $10000 worth. 121 x 82 is 9922, the largest amount of shares under 10k.

No issue or premium for trading that number of shares.

I never heard of being able to order a certain dollars worth either. Things have really changed in the last twenty years.

41 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

If so, they already have a loss of about $500 which demonstrates the risk in buying a stock to gain $100 of possible onboard credit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

No premium charged.  I simply told my stock broker I wanted to buy 10K worth of RCI stock at current rate.  It worked out to 121 shares (just under 10 K).  He is not going to charge me broker's fee on it...since it was my choice only.  I will monitor it versus him.  Will just show up in my portfolio.  

13 hours ago, yogimax said:

That would be pretty minor drop compared to total (and I have no reason to cash in the RCI stock anytime soon).  The drop is on paper.  If you add it up...we lost quite a bit on total portfolio a week or so ago, but it rebounded.  We have a very balanced portfolio for that reason.  

Edited by island lady

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

That would be pretty minor drop compared to total (and I have no reason to cash in the RCI stock anytime soon).  The drop is on paper.  If you add it up...we lost quite a bit on total portfolio a week or so ago, but it rebounded.  We have a very balanced portfolio for that reason.  

I don't have any RCL stock or any intentions of buying any, but I totally agree with the rest of it. I have quite of bit in the stock market and dollar wise the paper loss is staggering, but I've rode this elevator up as well as down in the 40+ years I've been in the market. Like you, I've learn never to put all your eggs in one basket. I have enough money in "safe investments" that I can continue to live my life, the way we've been, no matter what the market does. I'm sure our beneficiaries might feel a little different.

Edited by grandgeezer

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

I don't have any RCL stock or any intentions of buying any, but I totally agree with the rest of it. I have quite of bit in the stock market and dollar wise the paper loss is staggering, but I've rode this elevator up as well as down in the 40+ years I've been in the market. Like you, I've learn never to put all your eggs in one basket. I have enough money in "safe investments" that I can continue to live my life, the way we've been, no matter what the market does. I'm sure our beneficiaries might feel a little different.

Totally agree.  Funny thing is, even living off the investments the last 15 years we have been retired...the balance still goes up from the original amount.  Need to book more cruises!  😄 

• Like 2

From Dow Jones today.  Sorry for length but couldn't attach link

Travelers are backing out of planned cruises over fears of the spread of coronavirus, dealing a punishing blow to the industry at a time of year when ships typically start to fill up.

The major cruise lines book the bulk of their summer cruises to the Mediterranean in March, and up until late January the season was shaping up to be one of high demand. But the spread of the virus, which has infected more than 90,000 people and killed more than 3,000, has slowed bookings. Setting off alarms was an outbreak aboard the Diamond Princess in early February that prompted authorities to quarantine the Carnival Corp.(CCL) luxury cruise ship in Japan for two weeks.

Two big cruise operators said ships in the Mediterranean are now about 60% full, down from about 75% at this time last year. The Asian cruise market has dried up, with the big three operators -- Carnival, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.(RCL) and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.(NCLH) -- expected to lose more than $550 million this year in the region, according to industry executives. A small Japanese cruise operator, Luminous Cruise, filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday, citing cancellations stemming from the virus.

Andreas Mayer and his wife were supposed to go on a five-day cruise in the Mediterranean in late February, but the 67-year-old resident of Frankfurt scrapped his plans. "We lost our deposit, but better safe than sorry," Mr. Mayer said. "After what happened with the cruise ship in Japan, I think it's crazy for anyone to go on a cruise now."

At Liberty Travel, cruise cancellations over the past three weeks have been 22% higher than usual as coronavirus cases spiked in Italy, said Christina Pedroni, senior vice president for U.S. retail at Flight Centre Travel Group Ltd.(FGETF), which owns the New Jersey-based travel agency.

Ms. Pedroni said the agency's customers, who are mostly from the U.S., have rebooked trips to domestic destinations such as New England, Florida and Las Vegas, and that the company's bookings in its main cruise markets such as the Caribbean and Bermuda remain strong.

Coronavirus fears aren't only upsetting plans for this summer. Forward bookings for the summer of 2021 and 2022 are down by as much as 40% in the Mediterannean, depending on the cruise, a senior cruise operator said.

Cruise ships moved 30 million passengers last year, and the Cruise Lines International Association had projected 32 million this year, a majority of them Americans. The Caribbean accounts for nearly one-third of the market by passengers, followed by the Mediterranean with 17%, the rest of Europe with 11% and China with 5%, according to the CLIA.

Shares of Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian have tumbled roughly 30% to multiyear lows since the end of January, losing nearly $19 billion in market value combined, according to Factset.

At Norwegian, the epidemic has spurred a panic among customers outside of Asia, leading to an increase in cancellations and a significant slowdown in new bookings, Chief Executive Frank Del Rio said on a call with analysts in February.

"Nothing is permanent," Mr. Del Rio said. "Customers do have a relatively short memory, thank God."

The spread of the virus in Europe, where Italy has been hit particularly hard, has left cruise-industry executives bracing for the worst in the lucrative Mediterranean market.

"We are looking at Greece," a senior cruise-industry executive said. "If places like Santorini, Mykonos, any of the other islands or Athens are hit, it will be a nightmare. The market for the Mediterranean will basically collapse."

Greece has reported three cases involving people coming home from Italy, where nearly 1,700 cases and 34 deaths have been reported.

Luigi Barchini, a gondolier on Venice's famous canals whose customers are primarily cruise passengers, said business is down by nearly half. "In the 23 years in this job. I've never seen it so empty," he said.

CLIA said its members are denying boarding to travelers who within two weeks before the cruise date visited or transited through airports in South Korea, Iran, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and any municipality in Italy subject to the Italian government's quarantine measures.

Within the industry, how much of a trip's cost passengers can recoup varies based on how far in advance they cancel. More than two months out, a full refund is generally available, while passengers who cancel between 30 and 45 days before sailing typically get back their deposit or 50% of the total fare, whichever is greater. Within two weeks, the customer gets nothing.

San Antonio resident Brandi Wolfe, her husband and 6-year-old son were set for a weeklong Norwegian cruise around Italy to celebrate her graduation from law school in May. Now, Ms. Wolfe, 35, said she was leaning toward canceling the trip, fearing delays from possible quarantine measures ahead of her bar exam in July. She stands to lose $2,400 in nonrefundable costs.

"I will not pay in full early ever again," she said.

Write to Costas Paris at costas.paris@wsj.com and Dave Sebastian at dave.sebastian@wsj.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
  03-04-200900ET
  Copyright (c) 2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc

53 minutes ago, verizon said:

RCL 52 WEEKS LOW TODAY

IS IT TIME TO GET IN?

most more like a 60 month low.   I would wait.  Still has room to fall.  In 2009 during the Great Recession it’s high was nearly 50 and fell to 5.   Unlikely to get to 5, but it has a lot of leeway till bottom imo.

But I don’t have a crystal ball and could easily be wrong and this is bottom.  Unlikely but easily possible

Edited by rimmit

Bought it @25 sold @50. Should have waited but when Celebrity started denying shareholder credit if other perks were offered, decided to take the profit. In addition to the gain, we probably enjoyed @$750 in stock owner benefits so not a bad deal overall.

I am watching for when the stock may fall below the $50 share price and consider 100 shares.

Question- I recall reading on the Celeb boards that shareholder credits have been given even though there are other perks with the booking, is that true for Royal? We do have a $50 RCCL credit on our August Jewel cruise- would that eliminate the shareholder perk should we re-invest?

19 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Question- I recall reading on the Celeb boards that shareholder credits have been given even though there are other perks with the booking, is that true for Royal? We do have a $50 RCCL credit on our August Jewel cruise- would that eliminate the shareholder perk should we re-invest?

Yes, it changed effective for cruises booked after June 1, 2019.  Shareholder benefits are now combinable with pretty much everything except travel agent and interline rates

On 3/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, yogimax said:

If so, they already have a loss of about $500 which demonstrates the risk in buying a stock to gain $100 of possible onboard credit.

There is no loss or gain until you sell.  Actually, there is "gain" from dividends and OBC prior to selling.

Edited by Another_Critic

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just hit $67.50   Half of its high of $135

I doubt it,s done dropping yet

With what is happening in Italy right now, if the Greek Isles get hit the Med season will be in shambles and there is going to be a free fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

With what is happening in Italy right now, if the Greek Isles get hit the Med season will be in shambles and there is going to be a free fall.

I bought my shares back in Feb. 2009 for 6.25 per share.  I doubt it goes that low again

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just hit $67.50   Half of its high of $135

I doubt it,s done dropping yet

Yup!  Just wait till a RCL ship is directly impacted for another massive plunge.
The way this stuff seems to be spreading it's not a matter of if but when.
There are buying opportunities ahead but I am sitting on my cash for now.

• Like 3

I never even considered RCL, even 8-10 years ago when I was head cheerleader for X and on the team for RC. I was a trader, not investor and I saw too many companies with a high upside than them. I can't compare long range gains because I set a buy limit and a sell limit. When the stock got close to one or the other I would reevaluate and go from there. I don't think I held a stock more than 3-4 years. I think I did very well though I sold a few stocks much too early as it turned out. Apple and Google come to mind.

Now I've moved on from RCL but I still base my stock purchases based on future gain. Even at the current price RCL isn't on my radar even though I think it will recover some after this virus scare is gone. I could be wrong though, but it wouldn't be the first time.