RCL Stock

heidikay

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Why did it drop to $5 in 2009? What happened that year to make it drop?

Fallout from housing market crash in 2008 and the implosion of the global economy thereafter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does it matter what it went up to? Your point was that the stock can't go much lower. @rimmit refuted your point in a quite reasonable manor.

Thanks.  For all those out there that say a stock can’t go lower and think it’s a safe bet....  you clearly have never been burned.  

Anyone that has done enough trading would never say that.  All it takes is having a stock totally bottom out on you once and never recover (unlikely to be the case with RCI but you never know) for you to have a healthy respect for the market.   Hopefully,  you never have to learn that the hard way but many of us sadly have.

There is never a safe bet in the market, albeit shorting cruise stock right now is the closest there has been in a while.

• Like 2

While 2020 will be a wipeout for Royal, assuming Corona fades away there may be some hope for '21.  The new cancellation policy will undoubtedly cause many to cancel.  Royal won't be giving these cusomers cash refunds though just FCC.  Royal gets to keep their money and they only have one year to take a replacement cruise.  This will create forced buying in '21 allowing Royal to keep prices high and maybe avoid promotions like BOGO and KSF.  Viking implemented a similar (but more generous) cancellation policy as Royal and on the VO board customers are expressing displeasure at how the the prices for '21 and '22 subsequently rose.

13 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

This will create forced buying in '21 allowing Royal to keep prices high and maybe avoid promotions like BOGO and KSF.  

Agree it will create forced buying in 2021 assuming they don’t extend the FCC expiration. However,  Bogo and KSF are basically standard sales these days as in they run continuously. BOGO being their standard pricing.  KSF is a true sale,  but it seems to be running nearly continuously as it has been a while since they pulled it now.  We primarily book KSF as I have a 4 and 9 year old,  so I follow that one closely.

48 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Thanks.  For all those out there that say a stock can’t go lower and think it’s a safe bet....  you clearly have never been burned.  

Anyone that has done enough trading would never say that.  All it takes is having a stock totally bottom out on you once and never recover (unlikely to be the case with RCI but you never know) for you to have a healthy respect for the market.   Hopefully,  you never have to learn that the hard way but many of us sadly have.

There is never a safe bet in the market, albeit shorting cruise stock right now is the closest there has been in a while.

You'll have to disagree with most experts that say it's over done

No one said this stock or ANY other is a safe bet even in best of times

Edited by cruisinfanatic

3 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You'll have to disagree with most experts that say it's over done

No one said this stock or ANY other is a safe bet

I never said it wasn’t overdone. Don’t argue that one bit.  Just saying it has room to fall.  There is a BIG difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rimmit said:

All it takes is having a stock totally bottom out on you once and never recover (unlikely to be the case with RCI but you never know) for you to have a healthy respect for the market.   Hopefully,  you never have to learn that the hard way but many of us sadly have.

Nortel and BlackBerry are just a couple that come to mind. Just because you are “big player” it doesn’t mean you have it forever. 

Patience is why I am waiting on RC stock to drop further. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, rimmit said:

The main mantra from most people I know is that we are the least likely to get ill.  

Yes, people in their 30's or 40's are not as likely to get ill.  So they won't show symptoms or stay home to make sure.  The perfect carriers with active daily lives to transmit it in their community.  I am in your age range.  I also am not concerned that I will get ill.  I am concerned about a 2 week in home quarantine upon return though, especially as so much changes day to day; if I am on a ship for 5 or 7 days I may have difficulty returning home / to work upon return depending on the circumstances at that time.  

Cruises are not a once in a lifetime opportunity for many on this forum.  A large portion of this forum is represented by repeat cruisers and cruise fanatics.  What are they losing out on by postponing a trip? Not money; the cruiseline is removing the financial obstacle. The shows, the menus, the ports...will all be exactly the same a few months down the road.  

I don't mean to pick on you and expect you to have a perfect answer.  But I'm just trying to figure out the pro/con equation here.  If I elect to cancel my upcoming cruise it's not really any kind of hardship to me. I can just go another time. A lot of people are displaying "get onboard-itis" it seems, and not considering potentialities or ramifications later on. Do people not care? Or not realize? Or simply never consider? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rimmit said:

Some good practical advice right there. 

If it's above 0, it can always go to 0. 

372cce02-8364-11dd-907e-000077b07658?fit

21 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

A lot of people are displaying "get onboard-itis" it seems, and not considering potentialities or ramifications later on. Do people not care? Or not realize? Or simply never consider? 

Not this guy. I don't worry abour getting sick. My concern is I want to go home when the cruise is over. And when I get home I want to get back to work. One hospital system in RI is requiring physicians to stay out of the hospital for two weeks after returning from overseas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not this guy. I don't worry abour getting sick. My concern is I want to go home when the cruise is over. And when I get home I want to get back to work.

Exactly same as me.  

I'm ready for 200 shares but price needs to come down way, way more.  I expect to see dividends cut eventually this year also. 

Do you guys know if you buy 200 shares and book two rooms, do you get the $100 obc per room or does it have to be  the 100 shares per person (e.g. in a family, 100 for husband, 100 for wife).

No jokes about sleeping in separate cabins, our friends have to always book 2 because they have 4 kids (and now they have to sleep in separate cabin so they won't have any more)

31 minutes ago, xcell said:

Do you guys know if you buy 200 shares and book two rooms, do you get the $100 obc per room or does it have to be  the 100 shares per person (e.g. in a family, 100 for husband, 100 for wife).

No jokes about sleeping in separate cabins, our friends have to always book 2 because they have 4 kids (and now they have to sleep in separate cabin so they won't have any more)

I put some shares in my wife’s name and some in mine.  Then you book separate rooms with one person in each who owns 100 shares.  This will get the credit.

regardless of number of shareholders in a cabin it is only one benefit per cabin.

Edited by rimmit

43 minutes ago, rimmit said:

I put some shares in my wife’s name and some in mine.  Then you book separate rooms with one person in each who owns 100 shares.  This will get the credit.

regardless of number of shareholders in a cabin it is only one benefit per cabin.

Are the two rooms on the same reservation number? 

1 hour ago, xcell said:

The share must be in two different names. having 200 shares all in your name will only get you one OBC.  

You need 2 cabins each cabin having a registered shareholder holding 100 shares in order to get OBC for each cabin

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

That is incorrect.  It was only at around $30ish in a year if I remember correctly.  I sold half my position when it hit 30 and held the other half Until I sold it about two weeks ago.  I don’t remember when it hit 47 but if I remember right it was toward the the beginning of the following year as I was kicking myself for not holding longer but then it dropped off for a bit the moment it hit it.  I’d have to look up the stock charts to get exact timing.

March 5, 2009 - $5.65

March 5, 2010 - $29.81

December 31, 2010 - $47.00

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not this guy. I don't worry abour getting sick. My concern is I want to go home when the cruise is over. And when I get home I want to get back to work. One hospital system in RI is requiring physicians to stay out of the hospital for two weeks after returning from overseas.

Good point. This is my SIL's concern. A two-week quarantine, either on the ship or home afterwards is a non-starter for her with work. She will most likely be cancelling her March Anthem cruise, and probably move it to September on Oasis.

mac_tlc

36 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

March 5, 2009 - $5.65

March 5, 2010 - $29.81

December 31, 2010 - $47.00

I’d say Dec 31 is pretty close to the beginning of the following year as I stated.  Again my memory wasn’t perfect,  but was going off my memory and think if I’d just waited longer to sell half....   but no one can ever time the market perfectly.  I just remember I told myself when it hit $30 I’d sell half and keep half and see what it did so that way I was playing with house money at that point.  Wish all investments did that well.  Lol.