Cancel/rebooking question

pschweig

Our TA is unavailable to answer emails until after Mar 6. I am hoping someone on this board can answer my questions.

Our family is booked on the 14 Day Northern Isles Cruise (Rotterdam/Norway/Iceland/Scotland/Rotterdam) which departs 27 June 2020. When my son and DIL purchased their cruise on the less-expensive restricted fare last May (no refundable deposit), they chose not to purchase HAL travel insurance at the time of booking (pls - no flaming! This was their decision). They also used HAL’s Flight Ease program to purchase airfare. Final payment is due on Mar 29. Like so many others, they are becoming concerned that the Coronavirus may disrupt their travel plans. 

My first question: Since it is still before final payment, can they cancel their current booking and rebook? I understand they would lose the original deposit but doing  so would allow them to purchase the HAL Standard Travel Insurance.

My second question: They have already fully paid for their airfare arranged through Flight Ease and are considered as ticketed passengers. What happens to these arrangements if they cancel the original booking to which the air reservations are tied? Is it possible to cancel and rebook the same cruise without losing the fully paid flight reservations? 

Thank you in advance for your response. 

• Like 1

I can’t answer your second question but my understanding of the cruise insurance is that it has to be paid in full no later than the day before final payment so they still have until March 28th to purchase it.  I hope someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

53 minutes ago, pschweig said:

can they cancel their current booking and rebook?

No need. Just call and add it before Mar 28, as Miss G said. We've done it a couple of times. (It used to be that you only had only 10 days after booking to buy HAL's plans, but no longer. Some 3rd party insurance may still have that requirement.)

Edited by catl331
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, pschweig said:

My first question: Since it is still before final payment, can they cancel their current booking and rebook? I understand they would lose the original deposit but doing  so would allow them to purchase the HAL Standard Travel Insurance.

I don’t see why they can’t cancel and then rebook.  They should check their HAL confirmation and make sure there are no other penalties as I know when I was erroneously booked on a non refundable (I got it fixed) by my PCC the cancellation terms were a lot different.  And yes, if they rebook they should be able to take HAL’s insurance IMO.  Note - I am NOT a TA 😉 

51 minutes ago, pschweig said:

My second question: They have already fully paid for their airfare arranged through Flight Ease and are considered as ticketed passengers. What happens to these arrangements if they cancel the original booking to which the air reservations are tied? Is it possible to cancel and rebook the same cruise without losing the fully paid flight reservations? 

YIKES that they already paid for their Flight Ease.  I think that is forfeit if that’s the case.

If your TA is back on March 6th and final payment is not until March 29th, I would wait for them so they can discuss with HAL and see what or if anything can be done about the Flight Ease.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catl331 said:

No need. Just call and add it before Mar 28, as Miss G said. We've done it a couple of times. (It used to be that you only had only 10 days after booking to buy HAL's plans, but no longer. Some 3rd party insurance may still have that requirement.)

So that’s changed?  When I had a non refundable deposit I was told the insurance HAD to be bought with the booking?  

Day before final payment is the deadline for refundable deposits but this is a non refundable deposit.???

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

So that’s changed?  When I had a non refundable deposit I was told the insurance HAD to be bought with the booking?  

Day before final payment is the deadline for refundable deposits but this is a non refundable deposit.???

This was the question in my mind also.  I see Catl has confirmed.

I was offered it again right before I made final payment a few weeks ago, so I think they will be fine adding it now.  The only thing you should ask is if it will cover for corona virus.  A lot, if not all, policies are excluding it now.

47 minutes ago, e050377 said:

I was offered it again right before I made final payment a few weeks ago, so I think they will be fine adding it now.  The only thing you should ask is if it will cover for corona virus.  A lot, if not all, policies are excluding it now.

Did you have a non refundable deposit?

It’s always re-offered for refundable deposits.

No need to check if it covers corona virus.  HAL’s insurance is basically a “cancel for any reason” and get 80 - 90% back depending on which policy you select.

Thank you for all your responses. My TA confirmed prior to her departure today that HAL’s cancellation insurance had to be purchased at the time of booking when booking with the non-refundable deposit fare. Their concern is what happens to the fully-paid flights. 

it sounds as if they will be calling to talk to our TA when she returns to determine if the cancellation insurance will be offered again.  The rest of the family, including myself, bought cancellation insurance! At least we all purchased medical insurance through GeoBlue.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand the reasoning to pre-pay the Flight Ease airfare.   That is one of the great advantages of Flight Ease is payment for the air is not required until you pay for the cruise.  This provision protects you in exactly this kind of situation.   I know some TA's will push you to pay immediately to protect your low fare, but as many here on CC have stated, they have never received a fare increase after booking with Flight Ease.   If the TA pressured this couple to pay the air fare immediately, you may have a case with the TA.  Because it is clearly stated on Flight Ease that payment is not required until your cruise final payment.

• Like 1