Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
LMaxwell

What is my best bet for internet access?

Recommended Posts

I usually try to avoid using internet at all on a cruise (phone off, in safe, brain shut down, etc.) but I have online courses I may need to submit work to while on a cruise. 

 

Just a short 5 day cruise Monday - Saturday. 

 

Day 1 is Miami, can hotspot through phone. Day 2 we are in Key West (can hotspot through my phone).  I am a Diamond member on RCI, so Elite on Celebrity and we have $300 OBC but I have no idea what plans/discounts/etc. are offered. 

 

I may only need to be online a couple of times, nothing streaming or needing high speeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With your reciprocal Elite status you will get 90 free internet minutes.  These are not continuous use so be sure to sign off so that you don’t after you are done.  If you are traveling with someone who is Diamond/Elite they will also get the free 90 minutes and maybe they will share some of them with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Elite members you get a choice of either 90 free minutes or a 30% discount on a WIFI package. If your cabin mate is also Elite you don't have to both make the same choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you aren’t uploading photos/videos, the 90min should suffice for you to send documents via the ship internet. I’m finding it better than before, and you do have the backup of your phone as a hotspot and if required, an internet site ashore.....set and have a drink and email!!

 

Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

And if you aren’t uploading photos/videos, the 90min should suffice for you to send documents via the ship internet. I’m finding it better than before, and you do have the backup of your phone as a hotspot and if required, an internet site ashore.....set and have a drink and email!!

 

Den

If you run out of minutes buy a daily pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

If you run out of minutes buy a daily pass.

Or give up and buy an unlimited package such as I do!! I don’t want to go into port and sit and use the WiFi and I do love to stay connected.......maybe not with all the stuff lately, but love to send and talk with the family and friends and so on. Just me.

 

Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or give up and buy an unlimited package such as I do!! I don’t want to go into port and sit and use the WiFi and I do love to stay connected.......maybe not with all the stuff lately, but love to send and talk with the family and friends and so on. Just me.

 

Den

 

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or give up and buy an unlimited package such as I do!! I don’t want to go into port and sit and use the WiFi and I do love to stay connected.......maybe not with all the stuff lately, but love to send and talk with the family and friends and so on. Just me.

 

Den

Den - at most ports I have been able to either get a phone connection or the port WiFi when still on board.  Again the OP said only occasional use.  You seem to use your phone more. While on a cruise - we cruise 3-4 weeks a year - if I so much as touch my phone my DW provides a quick reminder not to touch.

 

Except on an ocean crossing those with Tmobile have texting and data worldwide included and calls are .10 a minute except a couple weird places like the Falkland Islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, az_tchr said:

 

 

 

Except on an ocean crossing those with Tmobile have texting and data worldwide included and calls are .10 a minute except a couple weird places like the Falkland Islands.

 

I believe that's .25 per minute

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

those with Tmobile have texting and data worldwide included and calls 

 

Make sure you have your phone on airplane mode when at sea, Calls cost $$$ as the ship uses satellite connection.

This is why we use our Elite minutes.

Edited by upwarduk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not interested in unlimited plan.  Take cruises specifically to disconnect but no choice this time but to submit materials on a timely basis otherwise would prob not even use my free minutes. Thanks for the advice and tips; good to remember two people have the perks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very cautious if I were you.   While it is true that T-Mobile has free texting and slowed down internet in most countries this isn't necessarily the case while on a ship.

 

If you have a wifi package you can indeed get free text and phone calls (Voice Over Internet).   Just make sure you put your phone in Airplane Mode. and turn on Wifi.

 

If you leave you phone in roaming mode you  will be in for a surprise when you get your bill.   Roaming on the ship is very expensive and not part of the T-Mobile Fee service.   Good thing is you will often get a T-Mobile warning.   While you may think you are using no data, you phone is using data about every 30 seconds to check things like mail and text messages.  

 

 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would be very cautious if I were you.   While it is true that T-Mobile has free texting and slowed down internet in most countries this isn't necessarily the case while on a ship.

 

If you have a wifi package you can indeed get free text and phone calls (Voice Over Internet).   Just make sure you put your phone in Airplane Mode. and turn on Wifi.

 

If you leave you phone in roaming mode you  will be in for a surprise when you get your bill.   Roaming on the ship is very expensive and not part of the T-Mobile Fee service.   Good thing is you will often get a T-Mobile warning.   While you may think you are using no data, you phone is using data about every 30 seconds to check things like mail and text messages.  

 

 

My reading of the T Mobile site suggests that even if you are using wifi calling or messaging, you are being charged at the cruise ship rates since both are still going through T Mobile.  I would love for somebody to tell me that this is incorrect.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

My reading of the T Mobile site suggests that even if you are using wifi calling or messaging, you are being charged at the cruise ship rates since both are still going through T Mobile.  I would love for somebody to tell me that this is incorrect.  

 

That is incorrect.  If you're using WiFi calling, it's free.  Personal experience on cruises (and all over Europe).  Just make sure you can enable WiFi calling on your phone (depending on the phone, it might need to be activated in advance).  You can test this by putting your phone in airplane mode and seeing if a call goes through when you're only connected to WiFi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to turning on WiFi and putting the phone in Airplane mode, make sure to turn off mobile data and roaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...