Cruise Critic Community
Mufty16889

Cruise Comparison

On 2/26/2020 at 11:43 PM, Mufty16889 said:

Hi everyone,

I can’t decide between these two cruises. I know that they are very different destinations but interested in any feedback regarding these options. This would be a trip for my 10th wedding anniversary with my husband. Prices are comparable so that isn’t a factor. 

1. 7 Day New England and Canada - Sky Princess  - October 

2. 7 Day New York to Bermuda - Norwegian Encore - November

Thanks in advance! 

If you're looking to see the leaves, by October they'll be brown and falling off the trees.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Mufty 16889;  yes Princess will celebrate your anniversary if you choose to sail on 10 Oct.  Just put it in your cruise personalizer and it will happen

Yay! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Mufty16889 said:

Yay! Thank you! 

ps.  My bday is 1 Oct;  and I have it listed in my personalizer; we sail on 10 Oct; they will still celebrate it for me

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

ps.  My bday is 1 Oct;  and I have it listed in my personalizer; we sail on 10 Oct; they will still celebrate it for me

Mine is the 8th 😉

you should be right in there to celebrate

On 2/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, Shmoo here said:

Me, personally, I'd do Princess.  

NCL would be for us especially that new ship Encore with that GoCart track and water park! NCL has awesome entertainment, we have been on Getaway, Peal, Dawn, Escape and Epic .Always had great service and been please with them. Lots of bells and whistles from the reviews of the Encore. I cant speak to the Princess Cruises but i do believe they are a step up from NCL an in a different class.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Besides, other than a week or so out, it is impossible to predict where and when a hurricane would occur.  Perhaps we have been fortunate, but as mentioned several times on these boards when the subject comes up, in 28 years of cruising we have never had a cruise interrupted or affected by a hurricane with many of our cruises done in most months of the season.

I've only been sailing 8 years, and we've been affected multiple times, but only once by a hurricane.  Nor'easters in October and March, just rough seas in April, and last year in September.  We have had 3 cruises with no weather issues 😉 

All to say that you really can't be sure what the weather will bring 🙂 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, ducklite said:

If you're looking to see the leaves, by October they'll be brown and falling off the trees.

Peak leaf watching varies year to year.  Early October OP might still be in luck, but the year we went foliage was never very good (September or October).

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I've only been sailing 8 years, and we've been affected multiple times, but only once by a hurricane.  Nor'easters in October and March, just rough seas in April, and last year in September.  We have had 3 cruises with no weather issues 😉 

Well certainly we've had rough seas and storms that have affected our cruises. Rough seas can occur anytime and anywhere, and storms come and go, usually quickly. 

But my comment was specific to cruising during the 6 month hurricane season and fortunately not yet been affected by a hurricane.  So in your case that has occurred, as you indicate, once in 8 years of cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well certainly we've had rough seas and storms that have affected our cruises. Rough seas can occur anytime and anywhere, and storms come and go, usually quickly. 

But my comment was specific to cruising during the 6 month hurricane season and fortunately not yet been affected by a hurricane.  So in your case that has occurred, as you indicate, once in 8 years of cruising.

We still had a great time and discovered a new to us port.  A lot of people were very upset, but we knew when we booked it was peak time for hurricanes and were just grateful to get away together.

1 minute ago, pacruise804 said:

We still had a great time and discovered a new to us port.  A lot of people were very upset, but we knew when we booked it was peak time for hurricanes and were just grateful to get away together.

Always good to find the silver lining!  It's a shame when people get upset (often at the cruise lines) for something that is out of the Captain's control and is done purely for the safety and comfort of his ship, crew, and its passengers. Mother Nature will win that argument every time!

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

All to say that you really can't be sure what the weather will bring 🙂 

Peak leaf watching varies year to year.  Early October OP might still be in luck, but the year we went foliage was never very good (September or October).

While I agree that it varies year to year, typically by early October leaf peeping season is over in Canada and Northern New England but is in full swing in downstate NY, NJ, and PA.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, Mufty16889 said:

Hi everyone,

I can’t decide between these two cruises. I know that they are very different destinations but interested in any feedback regarding these options. This would be a trip for my 10th wedding anniversary with my husband. Prices are comparable so that isn’t a factor. 

1. 7 Day New England and Canada - Sky Princess  - October 

2. 7 Day New York to Bermuda - Norwegian Encore - November

Thanks in advance! 

This is is a complete toss-up for me.  There are features of both ships that I consider very good and very bad.  

With the ship toss-up in mind, I would lean toward Encore just because of the itinerary.  I prefer Bermuda over the NE.