Getting from Venice to Rome?

tgallag

We are flying into Venice and will spend a couple days there before going to Rome for cruise departure.

Any recommendations on how to get there? Train is appealing but between talk of pickpockets and 2 of us managing 3 suitcases gives us pause. Appreciate any insight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Train is how most people move around, especially between cities, in Italy.

There are options for your luggage, including having them deliver it to your hotel in Rome.

Pickpockets are an issue throughout Italy, anywhere crowds convene (which means pretty much every place tourists go), but they are easily foiled with some precautions.

Here is the luggage info for Trenitalia:  https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/luggage_transportservices.html

I'd 100% recommend using the train to get from Venice to Rome. Although -- are you going to Rome proper or to Civitavecchia? (Because the latter presents a different challenge....)

The fast trains between Venice and Rome are wonderful and they are not really known for pickpockets -- those tend to be found more on the slower regional trains with many stops. However, you should always be careful in crowded areas such as train stations, metro stations or near any tourist attraction. The piazzas in front of St Mark's in Venice and St. Peter's in Rome are probably just as rife (if not more so) with pickpockets as any train station or train.

As for suitcases, if there are two of you it is not that difficult, at least not any more so than managing them around Venice itself. There are 3-4 steps up into the train compartment from the station platform. Have one person go up the steps first and then hand the luggage up to them. Most cars have spots for stowing luggage, although the only place for really large or heavy bags is often at either end of the car. 

We did 2 of us with 2 large bags, 2 carry on bags, and a backpack/purse for each of us. We actually found the high speed train to Rome the easiest of our train travel (Venice > Rome; Rome > Genoa for cruise; Genoa > Pisa > Florence) 

If you are worried about your bag, Amazon has these steel cable things with locks you can use to "tie" your bags into place in the luggage storage areas if you are that worried. In truth we just booked seats closer to the luggage storage so we could keep an eye on them easier. 

As the fast train is well really fast I also feel it is the way to go. I would not want to get to the Venice airport, go through their security, wait for the plane, get to Rome, wait for luggage, get to where we needed to go. You are going to be arriving on the train for a lot less $. 

I packed 14 days worth of clothes for each of us for a 22 day trip. This time I am packing about 8 days worth of clothes for a 23 day trip as there was stuff we never even looked at. Look at any laundry packages on your ship or if they have self service laundry IMO. Yes, I understand "I am on vacation I don't want to do laundry!" but while I would do trains everywhere again even with that many bags, it has made me really think about packing and what I need and don't! 

Good info, thank you all. Seems like luggage will be manageable and we are going to Rome proper. So high-speed train it will be.

Getting from Rome to the port the next day will be another research project although I'm not too concerned with that.

Thanks [emoji106]

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, tgallag said:

We are flying into Venice and will spend a couple days there before going to Rome for cruise departure.

Any recommendations on how to get there? Train is appealing but between talk of pickpockets and 2 of us managing 3 suitcases gives us pause. Appreciate any insight.

3 hours ago, tgallag said:

Good info, thank you all. Seems like luggage will be manageable and we are going to Rome proper. So high-speed train it will be.

Getting from Rome to the port the next day will be another research project although I'm not too concerned with that.

Thanks emoji106.png

You can fly direct from Venice.  Or take the train through Milan.  
Enjoy your trip to Italy.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, Justalone said:

You can fly direct from Venice.  Or take the train through Milan.  
Enjoy your trip to Italy.

Why would someone go through Milan to get from Venice to Rome?  It's an unnecessary detour....

On 3/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Why would someone go through Milan to get from Venice to Rome?  It's an unnecessary detour....

To get off train and  see Milan?  Visit Milan Cathedral, Your Last Supper, La Scala, Galleria. try Milanese cuisine, and more?.

Edited by Justalone

6 hours ago, Justalone said:

To get off train and  see Milan?  Visit Milan Cathedral, Your Last Supper, La Scala, Galleria. try Milanese cuisine, and more?.

All good reasons to visit Milan but not at all responsive to the OP,  who asked about traveling directly from Venice to Rome.

Train is the fastest route (four hours) with a plane coming up second once you factor in the time required to get to the airport, enough time "pad" to get through security, the flight, getting through the second airport and then traveling into town from the airport.

The slowest public transit option is the bus (between 7 - 9 hours, depending on time of day).