Luminae Dining on Silhouette

leftyrn

I assume you mean at a table with other folks you may or may not know.

A couple of comments:

• Luminae is far superior in every way to the main dining Room.
  • Luminae's two tops are arranged so that conversation with the next two top is easy, and not so close that you feel compelled to talk. If you meet other suite guests that you want to dine with, that caqn be easily accomplished.  We have done this on several cruises.

We've met many friends sitting at two tops in Luminae, as others already said you are close enough to converse or not to converse and if you find people you enjoy dining with they will put tables together for you to sit even closer if that's what you would like.  Luminae staff is quite accommodating.

Michael’s/Retreat is often the venue where couples talk enjoying a pre-dinner drink...If you are enjoying the company of fellow guests then head down to Luminae together and they will happily seat you at a table for 4/6...

If you make lots of friends the M’D will appreciate a ‘heads up’ if you want to dine as a group of 6+.

If you do choose to dine in the MDR the M’D will arrange it for you but then you are paying a premium for a suite and not using one of the key perks you are paying for...

With respect, I think the previous answers to the OP don't appreciate the issue.  I've traveled solo in a suite twice this year and have never had the maitre d' attempt to organize or even suggest a table larger than a 2 top.  In the MDR, that's frequently what happens and you can end up meeting and speaking with new people at each meal.  Sure, eventually, you may get to know the other people who dine in Luminae around the same time that you do, and an observant maitre d' may notice who you've spoken to in the past and attempt to sit you near them again, but talking across the aisle to the neighboring 2 top isn't the same as chatting at the same table. If you're not willing to eat in the main dining room, you lose the opportunity to dine with people you've already met on excursions or in other activities.  Not everyone is in a suite, and hanging out in Michael's Club or The Retreat hoping to meet another suite guest when you have already met congenial people elsewhere makes no sense. On the my last cruise I ate in the MDR with a couple I'd been on several excursions with.  The food and service may be slightly better in Luminae,  but there is something to be said for good conversation.  I'm already booked in a suite for my next cruise, but when I booked another cruise on board last month, I moved to a Concierge level cabin because eating by yourself, or leaning over to talk to someone--if you're lucky enough to sit near friendly people--gets old quickly.

So, OP, if you want to sit with others, you may have no option but to eat in the MDR occasionally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toxicesq said:

With respect, I think the previous answers to the OP don't appreciate the issue.  I've traveled solo in a suite twice this year and have never had the maitre d' attempt to organize or even suggest a table larger than a 2 top.  In the MDR, that's frequently what happens and you can end up meeting and speaking with new people at each meal.  Sure, eventually, you may get to know the other people who dine in Luminae around the same time that you do, and an observant maitre d' may notice who you've spoken to in the past and attempt to sit you near them again, but talking across the aisle to the neighboring 2 top isn't the same as chatting at the same table. If you're not willing to eat in the main dining room, you lose the opportunity to dine with people you've already met on excursions or in other activities.  Not everyone is in a suite, and hanging out in Michael's Club or The Retreat hoping to meet another suite guest when you have already met congenial people elsewhere makes no sense. On the my last cruise I ate in the MDR with a couple I'd been on several excursions with.  The food and service may be slightly better in Luminae,  but there is something to be said for good conversation.  I'm already booked in a suite for my next cruise, but when I booked another cruise on board last month, I moved to a Concierge level cabin because eating by yourself, or leaning over to talk to someone--if you're lucky enough to sit near friendly people--gets old quickly.

So, OP, if you want to sit with others, you may have no option but to eat in the MDR occasionally.

Thanks for posting.  I have a suite booked on a TA and was wondering how Luminae would be solo.  Fourteen days is a long time to be solo in Luminae so I will probably opt for MDR for same reasons and treat Luminae as a specialty restaurant.

7 hours ago, toxicesq said:

That's all good but the OP is NOT a single, they are a couple and there is no need to "lean over" to talk to the persons at the table on either side of you.  They are close enough to have a pleasant conversation and far enough away to not do so if you wish.  I know this as we've met many people that we still stay in touch with this way.

• Like 1

When dining in Luminae we truly miss the option to sit at a larger table. I agree that, although conversation with neighboring tables is possible, it feels more forced and awkward.  It seems that this would be something easily offered in Luminae if some suite guests would enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Why not visit your roll call and see if other Suite guests would like to dine with you an odd night? Perhaps if you prearranged to dine with 4 others the first chic night (often day two) you could then go from there...If it goes well you could set up some other evenings. 

Remember if other guests not in suites wish to join you for dinner the M’D can arrange it ($30 each). Some on your roll call may appreciate the opportunity to try Luminae. Check your M’D knows who to charge to...

• Like 2

Just to throw in the discussion that many have reported back that often in the MDR at large tables, their table mates are not there. They are eating at specialties or the buffet which is good on Celebrity. Just our experience but we met  many people in Luminae.

To answer the question asked... YES, you can choose to eat in the MDR. For personal reasons we have done this for several years now. We booked suites but had a table in the MDR. Our last 2 cruises we have given Luminae a 2nd chance and been pleasantly surprised. However, we still have a table in the MDR coming up on our next cruise "just in case". If you ask for Select in the MDR you can go anytime, ask for a large table, and meet lots of people. No need to concern yourself that you could end up at a large table alone. It also means they won't be holding seats for you if you choose to go somewhere else once or twice.

If you booked through a TA that person can call and arrange the details so it's on your reservation. If not, call the shoreside concierge for your ship or the Captain's Club. IF you don't get a positive response speak the M'd of Luminae, M'd of the MDR and the Retreat concierge once you are onboard. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, toxicesq said:

We upgraded to a Skysuite in 2015 and it was nice with the extra room and dining in Luminae.  However, we had met some great new friends from the Roll Call and Meet and Greet.  None were in suites.  We couldn't dine with them unless we either paid $50 each for them to dine in Luminae or us dine in the MDR.  We miss the dining at group tables. I think we only had a small group table  2-3 times in Luminate.  The food and service in Luminae was great, a step above the MDR and the MDR is pretty good.

We rarely cruise where we don't already know people on the same cruise, or meet great new people.   We like having a suite, but frankly won't pay extra for it in the future.

The OP asked specifically about Luminae on Silhouette...Our experience was A+...the hostesses first night seated us at a 2 top in the back dining room which was quiet and lovely, but those nearby were engaged at large tables with friends or family.  The next night we laughingly made a comment how quiet the previous dinner was and perhaps sensing we'd like some conversation, we were seated in the front room banquette at the back of the room.  Right away all introduced themselves (8 couples across the back 2 top tables).  It was friendly for the duration.  If we wanted privacy it was respected.  If a couple or two dined in a specialty restaurant we weren't dining alone and others were seated at the vacant tables.  We were very  lucky to meet such compatible dining companions.  You seem quite sociable.....You'll have no problem meeting others on the Silhouette in Luminae if the same two ladies are hosting.  BTW.....Those who appreciate dining privacy at the 2 tops aren't crowded into their table the way the MDR is set up so they actually CAN keep to themselves if that's their preference.  

We have quite often met other suite guests having pre-dinner drinks in Michael's Club and dined together with them in Luminae.  Sometimes whole small groups as the cruise progressed.  It seems that the passengers in Luminae are usually very friendly and many are eager to meet others.  On our last cruise we met other suite guests through our Roll Call and on excursions set  up in advance of the cruise or in hotels that we shared.  The Roll Call is really helpful in this.  We had cruise-long friends and table mates for our 14 day cruise on Eclipse.

Edited by TeeRick

15 hours ago, toxicesq said:

Last fall when I sailed solo in a suite on Equinox, the hostess told me that I was welcome to bring a friend to dine with me.  I appreciated her offer, but had already made friends with another couple and we ended up dining together the rest of the cruise.

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just to throw in the discussion that many have reported back that often in the MDR at large tables, their table mates are not there. They are eating at specialties or the buffet which is good on Celebrity. Just our experience but we met  many people in Luminae.

That would only apply to fixed dining times.  In select, they fill the tables as people arrive.  You just announce what you want:  table for 6 to share, for example.

I just got back from my recent 14 Night Antarctica Cruise.  I usually cruise solo and ask for a large table in the main dining room.  This was going to be my first time in a Suite on Celebrity and I was a little concerned as well about eating alone in Luminae.  I was told that if I wanted to eat in the MDR it would be as Select Dining where the Suite Concierge would book you a time in the MDR.  I decided to stick with Luminae and was very glad I did.  I think I ended up meeting a lot more people and having great conversations during the meals.  As people have mentioned, some recent experiences eating in the MDR, I have found that I ended up a lot of times being at a large table by myself as the other guests ended up eating elsewhere.  I found that to be more awkward than eating at a smaller table alone.  The setup at Luminae makes it very easy to have conversations with other guests if you want to.  I did not see any issues with that.  Plus the food and service in Luminae was so amazing that sometimes I became super focused on eating. 😋  Obviously this is just my experience and everyone is different.  I just wanted to put my two cents in since it was recent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, luv2cruisemore said:

We’ll be in a suite for the first time in two weeks on the Solstice departing Sydney. I was wondering if Luminae is open for lunch on embarkation day and on sea days?

Yes it is but not open for lunch on port days.

Nice menu but  too much if you want to enjoy dinner later...We often just choose a main dish or two starters. Lots of other guests do the same...

We particularly enjoy heading there after a glass of champagne on boarding day. By the time we have enjoyed a leisurely lunch suitcases have usually  arrived and we will be all unpacked by muster...We loved the sailaway from Sydney harbour, magical...have a fantastic cruise!