Currently on the Veendam

jlnprt

Boarded the Veendam yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale. Our expected port in Key West today was canceled due to high winds. A stop in Cozumel tomorrow was added. Captain just announced that another ship as been detained in Cozumel due to possible Corona virus and we will be unable to dock. So we have another sea day tomorrow. Seas are a bit rough today making walking around a bit challenging. Quite a few sea sick passengers. Despite this, we are still enjoying ourselves. First time on the Veendam. She is a lovely ship with a great staff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WeRockChalkKU said:

Heard the ship held in port is an MSC while they evaluate if a crew member has the virus. 

If what I read is correct, the ship reported a crew member who boarded in Miami last Sunday has Influenza Type A.  The ship was denied docking in Grand Cayman and Jamaica.  

Grand Cayman was canceled for weather related reasons. Ocho Rios moved to tomorrow and Nassau added. $50 pp OBC given as compensation. We're disappointed in the itinerary changes, but HAL doesn't control the weather. I've heard a few complaints, but not many. We're having a good time and it looks like most other passengers are as well. 

• Like 1

We are on Isla Mujeres(not real far from Coz) been having 30-35 mph gusts. Cold front(lol) with temps in the high 60’s low 70’s. Boats under 40’ not allowed out. I am so glad I don’t have to take the Coz ferry in this! Sorry about your missed ports, tho.

15 hours ago, jlnprt said:

Grand Cayman was canceled for weather related reasons. Ocho Rios moved to tomorrow and Nassau added. $50 pp OBC given as compensation. We're disappointed in the itinerary changes, but HAL doesn't control the weather. I've heard a few complaints, but not many. We're having a good time and it looks like most other passengers are as well. 

(bold is mine) Good attitude! It seems to me that we're hearing about more rough weather in the Caribbean this winter than previous years. I'm just off Zuiderdam, and we had a very windy day in Aruba. It was almost too windy to dock. Someone asked the captain about it at his Q&A and he admitted conditions were marginal, and that if strong wind gusts had blown us away from the dock, he would have just sailed away. He said when you're docking you always need "an escape plan." 

33 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It seems to me that we're hearing about more rough weather in the Caribbean this winter than previous years. I'm just off Zuiderdam, and we had a very windy day in Aruba. It was almost too windy to dock.

This is what I think as well.  All 3 of my Winter cruises, Eurodam, Volendam, and MSC Meraviglia:  we had more rough, windy days than I have had in the past.  

My last 3 Winter visits to Florida, there were more windy, cool/cold days than there were warm, beach-type days.