To cancel or not to cancel. Advice please

Postman806

38 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Just please remember there are other reasons for coughing ,I cough sometimes with my COPD. I always cover my mouth and leave the area it is rude not to! Usually go to use a rescue inhalor but if the cough did not stop I would not return!

So true!!  I cough from allergies...and sometimes a lot!!  And I blow my nose and sneeze a lot...from allergies.  Just because people cough and sneeze does not mean they are sick!   But everyone should cover their coughs and sneezes.

Edited by RNCindy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RNCindy said:

So true!!  I cough from allergies...and sometimes a lot!!  And I blow my nose and sneeze a lot...from allergies.  Just because people cough and sneeze does not mean they are sick!   But everyone should cover their coughs and sneezes.

Thank you hubby Suffers from terrible allergies also! May  you be cough and sniffle free 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

8 minutes ago, resistk said:

Yep, I saw that. Just another example of people getting carried away with fear.

Most of it caused by the media. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, resistk said:

WOW! Keeping drinking the koolaide people! Turn off the stupid news!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Just please remember there are other reasons for coughing ,I cough sometimes with my COPD. I always cover my mouth and leave the area it is rude not to! Usually go to use a rescue inhalor but if the cough did not stop I would not return!

I realize that. I use an inhaler as well. What I was talking about are sick people that don't stay in the cabin and spread the germs. We are scheduled to go on a cruise in late April. My husband says if we go as planned, he doesn't want to even step foot in the the theater.On the last two cruises , I got sick the very last couple of days. I stayed in my cabin, didn't go to dinner either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I realize that. I use an inhaler as well. What I was talking about are sick people that don't stay in the cabin and spread the germs. We are scheduled to go on a cruise in late April. My husband says if we go as planned, he doesn't want to even step foot in the the theater.On the last two cruises , I got sick the very last couple of days. I stayed in my cabin, didn't go to dinner either.

Understood ! 🙂  It was more of a general post but I did use your post! I just want people to understand there are other reasons for coughing besides illness. Although always cover your mouth and leave the area if you cannot stop your cough!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, JerseyShore said:

We have already paid in full for our April Hawaii cruise but now getting nervous.  Anyone else considering canceling?

If you want to lose any hope of recovering the cost of your trip, canceling before the cruise line cancels a sailing is a good way to do it.

I'll wait.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

3 hours ago, RNCindy said:

3 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Thank you hubby Suffers from terrible allergies also! May  you be cough and sniffle free 🙂

54 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

What do all of these posts have to do with giving the cruiser advice on whether to cruise or cancel?  Please don't hijack the thread - maybe start a new thread about reasons why people cough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thinfool said:

If you want to lose any hope of recovering the cost of your trip, canceling before the cruise line cancels a sailing is a good way to do it.

I'll wait.

we are still a little over 300 days out from out next cruise and will wait to sept. to make a decision. We will only lose our deposit which is a couple of hundred dollars.

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

WOW! Keeping drinking the koolaide people! Turn off the stupid news!

The mini riot in Reunion did indeed happen and was not nice.  Sun Princess was also denied clearence for Madagascar and Mauritius.  It seems now that cruising is caveat emptor till this blows over.  Itineraries and ports are likely to be cancelled.  MSC has also been having clearence problems in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thinfool said:

I'll wait.

Exactly. We have a cruise in May and I'm not doing a blessed thing unless or until the cruise line makes a decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bobnfl said:

we are still a little over 300 days out from out next cruise and will wait to sept. to make a decision. We will only lose our deposit which is a couple of hundred dollars.

I'm 3 wks out from mine and my biggest concern is that Princess will cancel.  Then 186 days out from 1st TA and 397 days from 2nd TA. Hoping all 4 are a go 

Now two cases in Florida! Ugh! Thought sailing out of Florida was still a safe bet, but as this saga continues, it keeps popping up. We still haven’t canceled our upcoming Panama Canal cruise March 18th. I feel as if we should cancel and go another time, but my husband seems to be leaning towards going. We’re sailing with two other family members and I think he feels they would be upset if we cancel.

My thought is, we have to make a choice based on our health and peace of mind.

Edited by shiny1
Misspelling

15 minutes ago, resistk said:

The mini riot in Reunion did indeed happen and was not nice.  Sun Princess was also denied clearence for Madagascar and Mauritius.  It seems now that cruising is caveat emptor till this blows over.  Itineraries and ports are likely to be cancelled.  MSC has also been having clearence problems in the Caribbean.

I realize that I was talking about the people who rioted! People need to stop listening to some news channels.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

Florida, yep … and my wife has a flight, not a cruise, coming up in less than 2 weeks ...concerned, of course, cancel, nope

but just like a cruise, who knows where other passengers have been and who they may have been in contact with

• Like 1

We just rolled our May 4 British Isles cruise to next year same time.

it was more about our planned 3 week travel to Italy prior to the cruise, that we are also re booking, than the cruise itself.

better luck next year 

• Like 2

We're booked on the Star the end of this month, and we are also not considering cancelling unless Princess does.

We have discussed that we plan to be extra vigilent about cleanliness, as we have been on cruises when we've known Norovirus was prevelant, but do not plan to let it interfere with our vacation plans otherwise.  Not to say we aren't "vigilent" normally - we are - but, just want to be extra conscious of taking steps to reduce exposure: always washing hands, using hand sanitizer, not touching elevator buttons or hand rails unless necessary, not shaking hands, avoid touching mouth and eyes, etc.

That said, we are relatively healthy folks in our 50s. I am somewhat concerned about my parents, who also have a cruise in April, are almost 80 and have some minor health issues.  But, their intrepid souls, and their plans mirror ours.

Happy cruising. 👍

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

47 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I apologize it was a response to a post about people on cruises coughing , and not using hand sanitizer but you only responded to a few  choice ones! Mine and another cruiser you did not post the original posters comments! 

Edited by Reader0108598

YES, WE ARE CANCELING.  Rome to Athens and return to Rome.  Fully paid, we will get 50% back.  Health (life) more important than money.  Peace of mind more important than money.  I have no hope that cruise line (not Princess) will cancel until the last minute, in  order to milk the last dollar from the customers.

4 minutes ago, Relaxedfun said:

YES, WE ARE CANCELING.  Rome to Athens and return to Rome.  Fully paid, we will get 50% back.  Health (life) more important than money.  Peace of mind more important than money.  I have no hope that cruise line (not Princess) will cancel until the last minute, in  order to milk the last dollar from the customers.

We are going from Athens to Barcelona to Rome in September. Our final payment isn't until May 31st.  Hopefully by then we will have this virus gone or way down like the flu season.  I am still hoping I can do this cruise though.  At this point, I'd be more worried about living in CA than cruising as far as 19 goes.  Will be holding my breath when we finish our next cruise on 3/30 and have to fly out of LA to home!(grin).  

Pooh

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Relaxedfun said:

Sounds like you made the right decision for you. Make sure you're taking proper precautions just the same. While roughly 3,000 people worldwide have died of Coronavirus, over 80,000 have died of the "regular" flu. It would be a shame if people who decided to cancel overseas trips due to the COVID-19 ended up getting sick of the seasonal flu instead. Keep washing your hands, not touching your face, etc. Rome will be there for you next time, of that I am sure. 😊

• Like 2