⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's a mechanical system with tremendous power involved.  There is going to be mechanical wear.  I assume 10 years fits the 5 year drydock calendar nicely but it seems they didn't quite make it.  I'm sure those conversations with ABB have occurred.  Perhaps they'll lower normal operating ranges to eek out a few more months or perhaps with was just a one off.  

I know it is a mechanical system and it obviously takes a lot of power to push these behemoths through the water. Either the operational specs or service intervals are off for these pods as this is hardly the first time this issue has reared its head.

I understand these ships only make money when carrying psssengers. Maybe the execs have simply made the decision to run them, cross their fingers, and wait for the metal filings  to show up. Who knows.

1 hour ago, tamom said:

Do they do the navigational talks on all TA’s or is this because you had to change course?  Going on our first TA this spring and my husband would enjoy interacting with the officers.

Sometimes the Captain will record a series of videos that talk to the course and crossing then play them on the ship TV system.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The nominal maintenance expectancy of the azipod was stated to be 10 years of continuous operation.  When they started noticing the increased metal particles in the lubrication fluids they brought ABB engineers on board to advise on best solutions.  ABB recommended the 80% of normal capacity limit.  

It's a mechanical system with tremendous power involved.  There is going to be mechanical wear.  I assume 10 years fits the 5 year drydock calendar nicely but it seems they didn't quite make it.  I'm sure those conversations with ABB have occurred.  Perhaps they'll lower normal operating ranges to eek out a few more months or perhaps with was just a one off.  The other two are within design limits.

New Navigational session today just concluded.  We have around 4,500 guests on board this sailing.  

I've been meaning to see if they can be spotted from the deck 14 public deck forward near the Solarium.  That will be my afternoon mission.  Lunch first because I haven't eaten in like at least 3 hours.  

I've see photos from the bridge on FB, and you can't see them as far as I can tell

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know it is a mechanical system and it obviously takes a lot of power to push these behemoths through the water. Either the operational specs or service intervals are off for these pods as this is hardly the first time this issue has reared its head.

I understand these ships only make money when carrying psssengers. Maybe the execs have simply made the decision to run them, cross their fingers, and wait for the metal filings  to show up. Who knows.

I don't recall, but there have been a couple companies making these, and one was a lot more problematic.

2 hours ago, tamom said:

Do they do the navigational talks on all TA’s or is this because you had to change course?  Going on our first TA this spring and my husband would enjoy interacting with the officers.

Even on Caribbean sailings, they often have officers available at Starbucks or on the Promenade by the car to chat with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think an Oasis class cruise missing a thousand passengers would be very nice.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura sailed with under 3,000 after Irma

We did as well and yes it was very nice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, truffles2 said:

Just returned from my first trip this cruise walking thru the Windjammer and it was noticeably uncrowded. They did have a large container of horseradish🤔

Great, but my issue is no one knows anything sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm guessing the harder they drive them the faster they wear.  They could accept slower speeds but that may mean dropping some high speeds runs like the legs to St. Kitts.  Take a destination port out the picture they could probably reduce wear and extend life but then people complain of boring itineraries.  So it partially becomes a trade off between route diversity and azipod life.  

• Like 1

This morning was Diving competition.

Great view from our balcony. I think it repeats tomorrow

Just a few pics

IMG_6128.thumb.JPG.8c1f5d9703b1bfa4c3d5c1dbd357f94b.JPG

IMG_6125.thumb.JPG.77f1f04f7f5a6da15af73ad63a5cc012.JPG

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.19f173cf7a45b6d8042fd82e542ea772.JPG

IMG_6105.thumb.JPG.12fbaaadd5c3b162c73a0ef047c6bbb8.JPG

I was uploading these when Pat told me we'd stopped.  Had almost no wake for a while.

We may have turned slightly

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 5

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Uh, oh.

We seem to have stopped

Preparing for helicopter evac.  That alpha call this morning must have been serious.  We've turned to close the distance to the Azores.  In 2 1/2 hours times the helicopter should be here.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Fervent prayers being offered for the patient, the medical staff and the helicopter crew.

Pat was telling me about landing helicopters on his carrier. Very dicey since the jets need 17 knots to launch

• Like 1