guaranteed cabin with a suite

getting older slowly

Hi all,  have always booked the cabin we want, have never left it to princess...

We have booked a B2B cruise on the Sapphire later this year  have got a cabin on 2nd leg but the 1st leg , is a guaranteed cabin ( both booked  for vista suites )

Question is with only 28 suite on board the Sapphire.. are we likely to get a move over, or get a vista suite or a better one.???

What is other peoples experience ??????

We would like to do the cruise, as a B2B to make it 13 nights ... I am aware that things can hang in the balance until a few days before sailing.  

Yes I know 1st world problems    LOL

Cheers Don

It’s a yield management math problem...and slightly different for each sailing.  Princess is counting on a likely cancellation or two in the suite category, but as to which grade and when is a calculated guesstimate.  

You will know when you know.  As much as you want to hear about other’s experiences (and I’m sure you will get a lot of anecdotal experiences reported and those are fun to read about and ponder) just remember that what has happened on other sailings has zip squat predictive quality  for yours. 😁

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vampiress said:

suites have always been just above my price point so i haven't looked into them, but what makes a suite undesirable?

Some aft balconies on Royal class ships (Royal and Regal Princess) have soot issues from the stack.  We accepted an upsell on our January 4th cruise from a mid-ship mini to an aft Penthouse suite.   We knew about the soot problem before hand, so it was a non-issue for us.  We just brushed the soot off the table and chairs and enjoyed the balcony.  

We decided to join some friends on a cruise and the only available suite category was  a suite guarantee.   We always book suites so we went for it.   We had never done a guarantee before and people were always saying that the cabins turn around many times so we would probably get a nice cabin.    Well we ended up getting a window suite -  a handicapped one.  It was terrible.   The shower was with a shower curtain around it and the entire bathroom flooded every time we showered.  The drainage was not large enough.   There was no storage in the bathroom - had to go into cabin for all our toiletries.  And no real counter - a few inches.  And then no balcony!!!!    We will never do a guarantee again.!!!

1 hour ago, compozer said:

We decided to join some friends on a cruise and the only available suite category was  a suite guarantee.   We always book suites so we went for it.   We had never done a guarantee before and people were always saying that the cabins turn around many times so we would probably get a nice cabin.    Well we ended up getting a window suite -  a handicapped one.  It was terrible.   The shower was with a shower curtain around it and the entire bathroom flooded every time we showered.  The drainage was not large enough.   There was no storage in the bathroom - had to go into cabin for all our toiletries.  And no real counter - a few inches.  And then no balcony!!!!    We will never do a guarantee again.!!!

Sounds like you took a guarantee at the window suite level (S7) instead of a regular suite level (starting at S6).

Can you check your original booking to see what level was specified?

If you had made a GTY at S6 or higher, you never would have been assigned a window suite unless offered (and accepted) as a "move down" offer.

Have studied the deck plan for the Sapphire,

the only suites would not be keen on, are the Premium Suites which are right forward 

but it is only for 6 nights......

Also no windows suites on the Sapphire

Normally wouldn''t leave to Princess... but it this case there was no option.

So see what happens.......   

Also one reason for doing the B2B was that for our November cruise we will then be Elite .

Cheers Don  

Edited by getting older slowly
add

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Could your TA not request a particular cabin?   Just booked a B2B on Sapphire out of Freemantle for July/August and we requested either of the 2 aft vista suites on Dolphin Deck for both legs.   TA had no issue booking these.

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Have studied the deck plan for the Sapphire,

the only suites would not be keen on, are the Premium Suites which are right forward 

but it is only for 6 nights......

Also no windows suites on the Sapphire

So see what happens.......   

Also one reason for doing the B2B was that for our November cruise we will then be Elite .

Cheers Don  

We booked a Premium Suite on the Regal as there were no other suites available.  Much to are surprise it is now are favorite Suite at least on the Royal class ships.  Not only a normal suite balcony on the side but also a large window in the bedroom facing forward.  Had no issue with motion.  

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Can you check your original booking to see what level was specified?

It was years ago and I doubt if I have any paperwork on it anymore.   But thinking more about it, I may have done the guarantee at the window suite category - it said we will select your cabin - that is all I remember.  As I said, everything was showing sold out.   I guess I never even thought about being assigned a WS because those normally sell out right away and someone would grab it right away if one opened.   Oh well - never again will I book a guarantee!

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would never take a suite GTY.

I want to pick my own.

You may end up somewhere you don't like.

There are some undesirable suites.

I agree in general but in one specific instance I disagree.  For some reason when I booked a cruise to Norway/Iceland for June, 2021, on the Grand, I was able to book a S7 guarantee!!! And I was able to get it at a price that is now $50 lower than a regular mini-suite(not a CC mini!).  Of course now there are no WS's available as all have been booked.  So if that remains true, I will then be upgraded to a suite.  Sweet, isn't it?  And just before I did book, the only WS available was the small one, F311, so if worse comes to worse and somehow I get F311 I am no worse off than booking a specific window suite.  I am not a fan of aft stateroom as many of you are, but for the price I am willing to try one!  If I am honest, I am hoping for a penthouse suite midship.  But it will be fun to find out in a long time what I end up getting.  I also heard that even though the handicapped WS shows booked, it may not be and might end up with that one, but that is fine too as I do not take baths!

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I agree in general but in one specific instance I disagree.  For some reason when I booked a cruise to Norway/Iceland for June, 2021, on the Grand, I was able to book a S7 guarantee!!! And I was able to get it at a price that is now $50 lower than a regular mini-suite(not a CC mini!).  Of course now there are no WS's available as all have been booked.  So if that remains true, I will then be upgraded to a suite.  Sweet, isn't it?  And just before I did book, the only WS available was the small one, F311, so if worse comes to worse and somehow I get F311 I am no worse off than booking a specific window suite.  I am not a fan of aft stateroom as many of you are, but for the price I am willing to try one!  If I am honest, I am hoping for a penthouse suite midship.  But it will be fun to find out in a long time what I end up getting.  I also heard that even though the handicapped WS shows booked, it may not be and might end up with that one, but that is fine too as I do not take baths!

Pooh

Yeah I agree.

11 hours ago, datone said:

Could your TA not request a particular cabin?   Just booked a B2B on Sapphire out of Freemantle for July/August and we requested either of the 2 aft vista suites on Dolphin Deck for both legs.   TA had no issue booking these.

Hi Datone,

the cruises were booked by our TA when the cruises became available on the 27th , and they were only able to get the second leg in the cabin we wanted...and the first leg as a GTY only . the problem is Princess offered a lot of overlapping cruises.... and the cruise in question is Melbourne-Hobart-Sydney-Melbourne , which is over lapped by the end of the Sydney to Sydney round Australia ( which is made of many short cruises as well ) , as well as a Sydney to Melbourne.

Cheers Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

the problem is Princess offered a lot of overlapping cruises....

This is happening more and more.  We decided to add the next cruise about six months after booking the first leg.   Our suite was not available so we had to move one deck down for the second leg.  Not that bag.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi Datone,

the cruises were booked by our TA when the cruises became available on the 27th , and they were only able to get the second leg in the cabin we wanted...and the first leg as a GTY only . the problem is Princess offered a lot of overlapping cruises.... and the cruise in question is Melbourne-Hobart-Sydney-Melbourne , which is over lapped by the end of the Sydney to Sydney round Australia ( which is made of many short cruises as well ) , as well as a Sydney to Melbourne.

Cheers Don

Understand in that situation.   Must be a bit confusing at time with all the overlapping cruises and sorting out cabins for people.   Hopefully you may get the same cabin.   In any case, have a great cruise and enjoy the suite life.

If you have a Vista suite guarantee you will not be disappointed.  We stayed in an aft Vista suite on the Sapphire in January 2019 and it was wonderful.  You may just have to wait until around final payment date (or later) to find out what you got but it should work out just fine for you.

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

If you have a Vista suite guarantee you will not be disappointed.  We stayed in an aft Vista suite on the Sapphire in January 2019 and it was wonderful.  You may just have to wait until around final payment date (or later) to find out what you got but it should work out just fine for you.

Yes love any of the aft suites,, we have an aft vista for the second legs of this B2B , then after three week on shore we board again in Nov 2020 in an aft vista to go round New Zealand.....

As long as we get a suite on the cruise I will be happy.......

It is funny in our short time cruising all have been spent in an aft suite...  I think it was part of the reason we both fell in love with cruising .... you cann't see anybody else it's like being in your own world...

Along with 2500 strangers LOL

Cheers Don

It is funny in our short time cruising all have been spent in an aft suite...  I think it was part of the reason we both fell in love with cruising .... you cann't see anybody else it's like being in your own world...

Totally agree!!