Cruise Critic Community
mahamelb

Coronavirus

Posted (edited)

I cannot verify if all the above is true or not. 

kindly use your own judgement and decide.

Edited by drsel

A thought about the heat melts fat bit. Apparently you need at least 60C to dissolve the outer shell. Don't wash your hands with water this hot as it will scald you. Which magazine mentioned recently that several domestic washing machines had 60 Degree programmes that did not reach 60 degrees!

The bit about it not actually being alive is weird but true.

I wonder how viruses managed to evolve?

10 hours ago, drsel said:

I cannot verify if all the above is true or not. 

kindly use your own judgement and decide.

A micro biologist gave me a good image of what happens when the soap melts the fat round the molecules- they explode like a pack of cards!

I think about this when I'm giving my hands a good soaping- explode, you b*****s! 😁

13 hours ago, drsel said:

I received some information about Covid. Is it true?

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (RNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code.  (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own.  The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile;  the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat.  That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).  By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat;  this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything.  In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE works.  The virus is not a living organism like bacteria;  they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth.  While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates).  ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).  But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.  They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness.  Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein.  For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect.  Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS  work.  The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be.  The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc.  And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks.  The thicker the moisturizer, the better.  

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

Can't find the source, but I've fact-checked bits of it & it makes sense.

And it's so easy to understand & follow.

I'd like to share it with a couple of local help groups but, esp as I've stressed how much fake news is out there and that folk should check their source before sharing stuff, I'd like to quote a source.

Ant idea where you found it?

Thanks

JB  :classic_smile:

It is supposed to be from John Hopkins institute but I can't prove it

2 hours ago, drsel said:

It is supposed to be from John Hopkins institute but I can't prove it

Many thanks.

JHI has a huge website and I can't find it, so  I've e-mailed them to ask.

Mebbe I'll get a reply, :classic_smile: or mebbe it'll go straight to junk :classic_sad:

Keep safe

JB :classic_smile:

JB- the first 3 paragraphs, about the virus and soap, I can verify, as similar was sent to me by a micro biologist related to us, in an effort to stop people like me passing on duff information on Facebook. This is where the "Explodes like a deck of cards" comes from.

If you're able, see an article in The Guardian, 2020/mar/12 by Palli Thordarson, about the virus… sorry, I'm not good enough at IT to share this. 

Thanks we need all the information we can possibly get.

Us has now become the world leader in coronavirus

Stay safe, keep washing (your hands) and avoid contact with anyone not in your house with you. It will pass too.

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 10:54 AM, drsel said:

I received some information about Covid. Is it true?

(snip)

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth.  While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates).  ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).  But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

Just a thought. Supermarkets are doing a great job with social distancing, spraying trolley bars and service tills but what about the products themselves ?

1. Could the virus survive 72 hours on plastic containers from factory to shop?

2. We've all seen it, the shopper in front, grabs a plastic bag full of say, porridge oats, changes their mind, then returns it to the shelf.

I hope the chances of the virus surviving is zero, as the chances of sterilizing the contents of your shopping bags is also ... zero 🙂

Edited by Bertie Doe

Just a thought. Supermarkets are doing a great job with social distancing, spraying trolley bars and service tills but what about the products themselves ?

2. We've all seen it, the shopper in front, grabs a plastic bag full of say, porridge oats, changes their mind, then returns it to the shelf.

I hope the chances of the virus surviving is zero, as the chances of sterilizing the contents of your shopping bags is also ... zero 

It's better to order home delivery and then wash everything that comes with soap and water if you can

32 minutes ago, drsel said:
44 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

I hope the chances of the virus surviving is zero, as the chances of sterilizing the contents of your shopping bags is also ... zero emoji846.png

It's better to order home delivery and then wash everything that comes with soap and water if you can

Precisely what we're doing - using diluted bleach.  Everything that comes into the house is dealt with that way, or left for the appropriate number of days to allow the virus to lessen.  Up to 5 days for hard plastics, 24 hours for paper - cardboard a bit of an unknown quantity.

26 minutes ago, drsel said:

It's better to order home delivery and then wash everything that comeswith soap and water if you can

A month ago, we got a 3 week delivery slot with Safeway but closer to delivery date, most of the perishables (chicken, pork, beef etc) had been removed as no longer available.

We decided to stay with the regular type of shopping. We went at opening time (8 am) interestingly, Aldi only kept one till open, so there was a 20 minute queue inside the shop - eek long exposure.

I phoned my neighbours who shopped at Morrisons on the same day, same time. They had only a 2 minute wait because there were 5 tills open plus 3 self service tills. Hmm might be worth paying the extra.

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Precisely what we're doing - using diluted bleach.  Everything that comes into the house is dealt with that way, or left for the appropriate number of days to allow the virus to lessen.  Up to 5 days for hard plastics, 24 hours for paper - cardboard a bit of an unknown quantity.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Ah thanks Harry, drsel's figure of one bleach to 5 water seems reasonable. Rubber gloves, a must 🙂