First time to Greece, one day in Argostoli - need excursion rec

carolekv

Will be first time in Greece with my grown son in August - one day off the Infinity, docking in Argostoli.  What are the 'must see' places?  I'm trying to select an excursion, but frankly I often just stay put in the port area itself if I've never been there before.  Depends on if the port itself is a worthwhile venue or just a stopping point.  Need recommendations for this one as I have no idea.  I do some amazing blue water excursions that look amazing!  

The water colour is spectacular in Keffallonia.  Watch Captain Cornellis  mandolin that was filmed there.  I would perhaps visit the underground lake, or rent a car and see some of the beautiful beaches and water colours.  

The port city is nice, but I would go further afield. 

What are your tour choices? 

Edited by bennybear

Kefalonia has some spectacular beaches, sone of the best in Greece. Try to organise a beach day there and you won't regret it. August is the best month also for swimming. You will be in the port with MSC Lirica so the caves will be a bit crowded. Keep in mind this. Along with the beach you can devote some time walking in Argostoli (the capital of the island) to do some shopping, try greek food or see the turtles at the waterfront, near the fishermen's boats.

• 1 month later...

We spent nine days on Kefalonia this past Oct.  It was our favourite of the three Ionian islands that we visited.  So much so that we plan to return at some point.

Argostoli itself is very pleasant but it certainly is not worth more than an hour or two.  This is a beautiful island with many places to visit.  Myrtos beach being just one.  Lots of interesting small towns and beautiful vistas.

We had a car so cannot comment on tours.  Our advice would be to spend a day touring the islands.  Either rent a car,  a car with driver, or try to find a smaller private tour.  You might have a look on tripadvisor.  There are some very good 'local experts' who helped us enormously decide where to go etc.    We stayed in Lassi (just outside Argostoli), Agia Efimia, and Poros.  

If it were us, we would arrange for a tour first thing upon getting off the ship.  Then come back two hours early or so to look around the town.  It will be less crowded then than first thing in the AM.

• Like 2