Caribbean Ports Not Letting Cruise Ships Dock Over Coronavirus Fearss

vpearlkc

There are reports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman and other Caribbean cruise ports refusing some ships docking rights over the Coronavirus scare. As this virus takes hold in the USA how bad will it get for cruising. No one knows for sure but it's something to think about. Any thoughts? 

If I could just revert back to my 20 year old self for a second and say....this whole situation sucks and I'm really pissed off!  

My more mature self thinks this is going to be bad for the entire travel industry.  You can't blame any port for taking an "abundance of caution" when it comes to this virus.  We are supposed to embark on Escape in MIA tomorrow.  For the first time EVER, I am not too excited about embarkation day.  I don't worry about getting sick or missing a port...I just don't want to be in a situation where I can't get back home.  If we could cancel w/o penalty like MSC is allowing, I would do so...much as I hate to say it.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cruisekitty22 said:

We are going on our cruise and not giving it another thought.  I would never cancel it.  This is for the Bliss March 22-29, 2020.  Just hoping they don't cancel our cruise altogether.

I need to adopt this attitude.  I seriously walked around in quite a funk yesterday over all this.  That's it!  I declare right here and now that I am officially going to get excited about embarkation day!  Thank you for posting! ☺️

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Georgia_Peaches. We paid a lot of money for this cruise. It's another reason we wont cancel.  I am more worried about snow in NY on departure day than any virus going around.

Same...we are in for a lot of money as well.  I know once we get there, I will feel better.  You've reminded me to stay positive and stop worrying about things outside of my control.  Hope your upcoming cruise is awesome!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Definitely a fluid situation. A fine line between overreaction and acting overly cautious. Tough time for travelers and the cruise lines as they are really being forced by local governments to change itineraries with little or no notice.

A lot of ships come from the United States where there are 59 confined COVID-19 cases. 

I just want to go on my cruise. I don't mind if the islands don't let us Dock, it is their right. As long as I get my fees and taxes back for those ports.

I would still enjoy myself sailing around the Caribbean in the sunshine.

You never know people might find they prefer it and cruise lines might start no port day cruises!

• Like 9

My one and only concern is not that I might get the Covid-19 but that I might bring it home to family and friends.  My cruise isn't until end of March out of Tampa so we'll see how things go but, for now, darn right I'm going on my cruise.  

Sailing around the Caribbean... sun, sea, relaxation... sigh 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

I just want to go on my cruise. I don't mind if the islands don't let us Dock, it is their right. As long as I get my fees and taxes back for those ports.

I would still enjoy myself sailing around the Caribbean in the sunshine.

You never know people might find they prefer it and cruise lines might start no port day cruises!

No port day cruises would not bother me in the least.  Surprised they are not already available.  To those of us that have already been to Cozumel many times it would be a nice change of pace.  But I guess they need to make some stops along the way to get more food, alcohol, and supplies.

28 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

No port day cruises would not bother me in the least.  Surprised they are not already available.  To those of us that have already been to Cozumel many times it would be a nice change of pace.  But I guess they need to make some stops along the way to get more food, alcohol, and supplies.

As of 2016, "cruises to nowhere" have been unavailable from US ports.

2 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

We are going on our cruise and not giving it another thought.  I would never cancel it.  This is for the Bliss March 22-29, 2020.  Just hoping they don't cancel our cruise altogether.

I'm on that same cruise and I feel the same way...I been to the Bahamas and Florida plenty of times if we get off or not. My excitement is Great Stir Up Cay!!! that's there property - I believe this too shall pass.  Happy Sailing Georgia Peach.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

was it the flu or corona or does anyone know yet?

Costa favolosa was denied docking in BVI due to several recently arrived Italian with illness. They was then allowed to dock in St Maarten, now heading to Martinique.  I don't know if they have docked yet.

https://www.loopslu.com/content/italian-cruise-ship-blocked-tortola-berths-st-maarten-5&ved=0ahUKEwjTyeGqxPTnAhWEMX0KHRs4BxYQxfQBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw0qFglLbKfaOZvbvVi0QQ9

Both MSc Meraviglia and Carnival Fascination have flu.

Carnival Fascination was denied at St Lucia and was tested in Barbados.

Edited by Nn2036

2 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Georgia_Peaches. We paid a lot of money for this cruise. It's another reason we wont cancel.  I am more worried about snow in NY on departure day than any virus going around.

If the weather pattern stays the same as it's been all winter, you won't have to worry about snow at all.  It's been a great winter for those of us that don't like cleaning up after a snow storm.  I think the most we've had in the area was around 5", once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If I could just revert back to my 20 year old self for a second and say....this whole situation sucks and I'm really pissed off!  

My more mature self thinks this is going to be bad for the entire travel industry.  You can't blame any port for taking an "abundance of caution" when it comes to this virus.  We are supposed to embark on Escape in MIA tomorrow.  For the first time EVER, I am not too excited about embarkation day.  I don't worry about getting sick or missing a port...I just don't want to be in a situation where I can't get back home.  If we could cancel w/o penalty like MSC is allowing, I would do so...much as I hate to say it.  

I have to admit I have felt similarly and I am never one to think this way.  My thoughts are not stuck on myself getting sick but more being stuck in a situation where the ship is held at the end and I can't get home on scheduled flights.  I was even considering just cutting my losses but my logical voice reminds me of the low risk (at least at this time) and I say just go and enjoy.  Mine is two weeks away out of NY and I am going and plan to have a great time.

Like others, I have been to Caribbean islands many times and this trip the repeat ports are even less interesting except for Great Stirrup Cay and no plans to even get off the ship at the other two (Port Canaveral or Nassau).

It is a very interesting (sad) time for cruising and travel in general.  What is interesting is the blanket declining of cruise docking but meanwhile there would be planes full of people arriving to all inclusive resorts that could carry equal to worse numbers of 'sick' people.  I wonder when this all reaches a point where the growing regional and/or vessel refusals is too costly to sustain (except perhaps the caution with cruises in the primary areas with high reported illnesses like China.)

Sad times. 

Edited by poffles
  • Like 3

My fear also is not being able to get back home...all it takes is one person with the virus, and everyone will be quarantined. And, for how long??  My cruise leaves the end of March and I am hoping for the best, but if things are bad I really hope NCL will offer cruise credit. The whole thing gives me a pit in my stomach.  We haven't even seen it hit the places in the states we cruise out of for caribbean cruises, imagine if it does....

Is MSC offering cancellations for any cruise or just affected itineraries?

• Like 1

We are still planning to enjoy our cruise in a few weeks out of Miami.    

We will bring along extra medications, etc, just in case we get 'stuck' on our ship.  Since we are retired, being stuck on a ship for extra time isn't as big a worry for us and we love days at sea.