Msg to Travel Partners: NCL Modifies Change & Cancellation Policies

mking8288

As reported in Cruise Industry News, dated Feb.28, 2020 - NCL notified their "Travel Partners" (T/A) that temporary modified Change & Cancellation Policies, including transfer of reservations to another cruise (up to 60 days prior) and name change on a reservation (up to 45 days) without penalty, charge or fees ... also notice on NCL Air booked.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22519-norwegian-modifies-change-and-cancellatio-policies.html

If you are booked via a T/A - contact them on details - if you have a sailing beyond final payment already, unsure of ... and outside the 45 and/or 60 days window, and considering making changes.

If you are booked directly via NCL, then ... hopefully, their call center agents has been alerted & received updated guidance, whether in Arizona or Florida or other locations, etc.  A quick check on NCL dot com not showing an alert for this, info here is strictly FYI, pending re-affirmation by NCL, and it's already Friday afternoon.  Happy, Healthy & Safe Cruising to all ! 

The big news at the moment is Norwegian Cruise Line just announced that it is changing and modifying it cancellation policy in the wake of corona virus fears. I can’t figure out how to post a link but go to cruiseindustrynews.com and the article is easy to find. I suspect Carnival will follow suit. 

The transfer to another cruise (which must be made no later than 60 days prior to the sailing of the booked cruise) is restricted to another cruise sailing prior to June 30, 2020.   Doesn't seem like much wiggle room, especially for folks concerned about cruises departing in the next two months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The transfer to another cruise (which must be made no later than 60 days prior to the sailing of the booked cruise) is restricted to another cruise sailing prior to June 30, 2020.   Doesn't seem like much wiggle room, especially for folks concerned about cruises departing in the next two months.

You are right ....

We are booked for July for the  Med... On the bubble of canceling now with the outbreak in Italy.... Not that i am really worried about catching it, but being stuck in a cruise room for weeks on end with any scare... i can pass on that. Any one else? Thoughts?

Agree...I was excited to read this news on the website mentioned but because my cruise is 29 days out, it doesn't apply.  Doesn't make sense to me...I think it should be any cruise within the next several months.  Ugh.  Very nervous to have any chance whatsoever of being quarantined on a ship.  Will have to wait until the last possible second whether to cancel and lose a lot of money.

No, it doesn't do any good for those sailing between now and June, very little wiggle room for those booked, NCL playing catch-up but it is, one can argue, better than doing next to nothing & keep referring to its defacto policies & cancellation fee schedules. 

For the mature (older) cruise demographics cohort, with chronic health issues and/or compromised immune systems, etc. and perhaps on sound medical advice, these temporary modified policies aren't one-for-all compromise ... short of having a CFAR policy that will absorb and cushion the landing. 

Windstar Cruises also announced a new Travel Assurance Booking Policy for sailings on/after June 1, 2020 - again, not doing those sailing sooner, any good either. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22516-windstar-launches-new-travel-assurance-booking-policy.html

There isn't a simple, uncomplicated solution to assure cruise ship, passengers and crews can sail safely under the shadow of the the coronavirus.  If cruiselines and airlines continue to ban passengers and crews from/thru "infected" or high risk countries on the basis of their nationality and/or travel documents, the no-boarding lists will just get longer until there won't be anyone left on the ship. 

Near-term/last minute cruise prices are tanking ... and, it's gotten NCL's attention.  Perhaps, more to come next month ... just my guess, one can hope & wish.  On the other hand, that seasonal influenza data for our area, New York, isn't looking good at all.  Kindly make sure your immunications are current & up-to-date.