Jost Van Dyke

AmandaKaye79

Sure, it’s smart to research early! 😀

Most folks choose one of the ship excursions, either the Rebel Yell cat or the inflatable powerboat. The problem with any non-private charter is your time in White Bay is limited to 2 - 3 hours.

The other reasonably priced option is the public ferry out of West End. The ferry leaves West End at 10AM and leaves Jost at 2PM giving you ~3 hours in White Bay.

You would taxi 20 - 25 minutes to the New Horizon ferry terminal, ferry into Great Harbor and take a short taxi over to White Bay. Figure ~$68/pp for round trip using the taxi/ferry/taxi option...

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking for transportation for a future cruise.  March 31, 2021  7am to 3pm.  On a FB group so possible for the cruise.  Potential for a large group.  We were in Tortola Jan 2020 and our FB page had many travel agents who arranged half and full day tours to Baths & JVD Soggy Dollar.  We are just looking for JVD Soggy Dollar.  I don't remember the tour operator.  I'll have to check luggage pile for business cards.  Anyone have suggestions?

Post 4 for ship excursions (book early) or public option (you way want to hire a taxi for a larger group with your very limited time in port). You can find private charter options like Ocean Magic and others in past threads using the Search function. These are smaller powerboats for 6 - 10 ppl, for a large group you'll need a cat like Aristocat, Kuralu, Patouche or multiple boats...(book early)...

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, AmandaKaye79 said:

What is the best way to get to Jost Van Dyke from the port? Are there any amazing excursions that you have used to take you there? We are only a group of 2 people, so booking a private charter or catamaran isn't really an option for us. 

We went this past January and used Kuralu Catamaran Charters when our ship stopped in Tortola.  It was a snorkeling/Jost Van Dyke tour.  The snorkel stops were at Norman and Peter Islands and we loved it.  We were only at Jost Van Dyke (Soggy Dollar Bar) for a couple of hours or so and it went by way too fast.  But we'd definitely do the same tour again.  Tortola is just beautiful from the water.  

Post 5 it also depends on the group size, “Potential for a large group” is wide open.

The only practical option for larger groups is the New Horizon ferry mentioned in post 4 @ ~$68/pp.

You can privately book one or all of the cats mentioned (Aristocat, Kuralu, Patouche) for larger sizes and charter them for the day for just a Jost visit. Obviously you’d need financial buy-in from all the people you are talking to in order to make that commitment unless money is no object. But try to get those commitments early as these popular charters fill early...

On 3/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, blue_water said:

Sure, it’s smart to research early! 😀

Most folks choose one of the ship excursions, either the Rebel Yell cat or the inflatable powerboat. The problem with any non-private charter is your time in White Bay is limited to 2 - 3 hours.

The other reasonably priced option is the public ferry out of West End. The ferry leaves West End at 10AM and leaves Jost at 2PM giving you ~3 hours in White Bay.

You would taxi 20 - 25 minutes to the New Horizon ferry terminal, ferry into Great Harbor and take a short taxi over to White Bay. Figure ~$68/pp for round trip using the taxi/ferry/taxi option...

How do you book the taxi/ferry/taxi option?

10 minutes ago, Houndfish said:

How do you book the taxi/ferry/taxi option?

Just grab a taxi at the port, the nice ladieS at the info center or the taxi coordinator can help. A taxi should be at the ferry port to meet the returning ferry, your driver may offer to return.

You will buy a round trip ferry pass when you arrive at the terminal, and you will find a taxi when you arrive in Great Harbor.

NOTE - The customs office was destroyed by the hurricane but I believe the ferry terminal is operating...contact New Horizons prior to leaving...and the folks at the ship port will know the current situation...

https://newhorizonferry.com/ferry-schedules/

Should clarify the cost of taxi depends on # of ppl, from the cruise port to ferry is $27 (each way) for one person, $14/pp for 2, and $12/pp for 3 or more...Ferry is $30/0pp round trip, and taxi on Jost is $10 for one, $5/pp for 2 or more...

So for one person it is $~99, for 2 or 3 it is ~$63 or $59...

• 7 months later...

@blue_water Question for you? We are planing on being on Tortola on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas on April 27,2023. If we wanted to bypass the ship's excursion  and get some people from the ship to get a water taxi to take us to White Bay and the Soggy Dollar spend the day with us and take us back to the ship in the afternoon, what companies do you suggest and how expensive would they be for 4-6 people?

There are no water taxis providing that service, and no way of knowing what independents will be operating that far into the future, especially with only land visitors being allowed to fly into Tortola for the foreseeable future.
For just 4 - 6 ppl you probably don’t want to hire a private cat like Aristocat, Kuralu, or  Patouche due to the cost.

You can contact Katie at Ocean Magic, an independent outfit providing private excursions via motorboat and see if they plan to be operating. When I contacted her in late 2019 she also worked with Captain Malcolm who offered a Jost excursion for $1,000 for up to 6 ppl, and $1,200 for 7 - 10 ppl. That included beer, alcohol and snacks, very reasonable for 2 or 3 couples.... He also had a smaller 23’ boat that held 3 guests for $750. This info may well have changed since then of course but give them a call. Let me know what you find out!

http://www.oceanmagicmitch.com/

OMMitch@hotmail.com

303-725-6696 (US)

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@blue_water Question for you? We are planing on being on Tortola on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas on April 27,2023.

I believe we are on the same cruise in 2023.

I will be in Tortola twice before that - planning on this July.

I have been in contact with Gary at Kuralu because the port hours are bad on the Celebrity sailing.   He has been easy to communicate with and very willing to work with us on the hours. He does a snorkle stop  and then heads to JVD.  There is a positive review from someone here on this thread who took that day trip. You can also check out his website.   www.kuralu.com

He quoted me $130 which includes drinks, snorkle equip,  and fuel. Needs a minimum of 6. 

I'm  planning on going with them in July, will report back.

I took a day sail with Aristocat a few years back, and was pretty underwhelmed.  They do get fairly good reviews, so I am willing to concede that we may have caught them on a bad day. But, I'm  not willing to give them another chance.  My opinion only. 

17 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I'm  planning on going with them in July, will report back.

That would be great. I have heard of a few more CC members on this cruise that are interested in White Bay. Maybe we can get a group thing going. My wife and I wouldn't be interested in the snorkel part but we really want to experience the beach and the Soggy Dollar. Keep me posted please thanks.

40 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Let me know what you find out!

Thank you, your information is very valuable. Yes since this sailing is so far out a lot of things can happen. But having options and thinking ahead will help us make this trip really special.

Kuralu is excellent, but with their typical excursions your time on Jost is very limited as noted unless you hire as a private excursion. They are very flexible, and the first group to book that date will choose the itinerary, depending on the weather of course.

I should clarify my water taxi reply above, there are no water taxis I am aware of from the cruise port to Jost. There may be a Jost-only water taxi option out of CGB, the operator I know of is not currently working due to the restrictions in place, but you can Google that as you get closer to your sail date. You’d have to take a 20 minute, $16/pp round trip taxi to and from CGB, and the water taxi cost may be ~$75/pp for 6ppl. 

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Kuralu is excellent, but with their typical excursions your time on Jost is very limited as noted unless you hire as a private excursion. They are very flexible, and the first group to book that date will choose the itinerary, depending on the weather of course.

Good info - 

I'll have that conversation with him, and make sure the 2023 booking is the first one for that day and spends plenty of time at White Bay.  As you say, he seems very accommodating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

There may be a Jost-only water taxi option out of CGB,

Making sure that is Crane Garden Bay? It will be nice to have options. We could just do the ship sponsored excursion to White Bay, but the total excursion time 3-4 hours. I would like to have something that spends more time at White Bay to maximize the fun and beauty of it.

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I'll have that conversation with him, and make sure the 2023 booking is the first one for that day and spends plenty of time at White Bay.

Please stay in touch with me as we would be interested in joining you as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Making sure that is Crane Garden Bay? It will be nice to have options. We could just do the ship sponsored excursion to White Bay, but the total excursion time 3-4 hours. I would like to have something that spends more time at White Bay to maximize the fun and beauty of it.

Yes, Jost is located off the north shore of Tortola and the cruise dock is on the south shore so that is the only complaint for day visitors who want to go there. The ferry gives the most time there, but your port times still dictate your flexibility...
And yes it is Cane Garden Bay I was referring to, you can see Sandy Spit and Jost from there...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...