New O policies

Jancruz

12 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Petoonya:  Are you cruising to ports in Italy?  

No, Tahiti-Hawaii-SF.  I’m one who expects COVID-19 to be worldwide in a few weeks to a month. I worry that not just Asian and Italian cruises will be affected but potentially all cruises, as more and more fearful people will want out of being aboard cruise ships. As noted by many others sadly this could be catastrophic for the whole cruise industry. 

4 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Just because I wanted to (and did) book a future TA cruise from Rome to Miami on Oceania (which has been booked in advance for over a year now), does not in anyway mean that I would want or have to substitute or select an alternative cruise to Alaska or the Caribbean, if the original choice/cruise did not actually take place.

How about if you could use that FCC on any cruise that they offer and it's good for booking (so for future travel) through 2021? 

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

A reasonable and intelligent alternative. My cruise is in 44 days. Please don’t cancel it Oceania!

But what if it really wouldn't be safe for you to go? What if you're in quarantine for a few weeks? I'm the last thing from an alarmist but I hope I'd be rational.

10 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

No, Tahiti-Hawaii-SF.  I’m one who expects COVID-19 to be worldwide in a few weeks to a month. I worry that not just Asian and Italian cruises will be affected but potentially all cruises, as more and more fearful people will want out of being aboard cruise ships. As noted by many others sadly this could be catastrophic for the whole cruise industry. 

I know this is a cruise board but there's also flying to your ship, going ashore, being in airports, etc. 

2 minutes ago, clo said:

But what if it really wouldn't be safe for you to go? What if you're in quarantine for a few weeks? I'm the last thing from an alarmist but I hope I'd be rational.

I believe that soon this will be worldwide and quarantines be of no good. I could be wrong. JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

I need it but fully respect anyone else’s choice.

Can you spend your life hunkered down as the chances of permanently containing this virus are not high.

again I could be wrong.

Would not hunker for something I will likely shake off anyway.

I appreciate your response.  I totally respect people's choices too!  Hopefully all this Corona stuff will soon come to an end!

I am sure I am going to get flack for this, however, let's look at the facts. 

1st:  When it is flu season, is your panic level as high as it is now?  Some people may depending on their health. 

2: Most of the people that have passed away from COVID-19, already had some co-morbidities that may it difficult for recovery.

3: This virus has been around since the 1960's.  

4: An average of 8,000 people just in the US die every year from the flu. 56,000 world wide.  We have flu shots, but they do not cover all the stains. 

5. Remember SARS killed over 8,000 people in one year. 

6. China's population is 1.4 billion.  

7. Latest study indicates that it only lives on surfaces for a few hours, however it can go into carpet and material. 

Unfortunately, China is very heavy populated and so there would be a higher percentage of contamination from one person to the next. I don't think their healthcare is as well acquired as ours, and of course like any country we have through the government situations at hand. (Please this is not political-just a fact they are communist ran country, so their government is run differently)

There are several other facts as well.  I am not saying we shouldn't take this seriously. I do believe we should be more diligent in our surroundings and start to take serious precautions when you are in a public place.  I am going to ramp up my public hygiene, not stop exploring.  In my lifetime if I went into hiding every time something like this happens, I would have never left the house.  

This is my choice. Am I worried I would effect other people or may contract it?, Of course, but you still have to go and get gas, food, supplies. IN other words, you still have to live your daily life.  OF COURSE if I were dx with it, I would isolate myself.  This is IMHO, and I know not everyone shares my views, and that is okay.  For now, I am not cancelling or rejecting an adventure at hand.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I believe that soon this will be worldwide and quarantines be of no good. I could be wrong. JMHO

this is my thinking as well.  I have several trips lined up over the next 8 months and I want to go on them.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

let's look at the facts. 

Unfortunately, some of your "facts" aren't facts at all.

30 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

2: Most of the people that have passed away from COVID-19, already had some co-morbidities that may it difficult for recovery.

Maybe so, but how would you know that? The vast majority of infections and deaths to date have occurred in China. Did the Chinese government give you statistics they haven't made available to anyone else?

32 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

3: This virus has been around since the 1960's.

No, no, no. This specific virus originated in China in 2019...hence the the "19" in the name COVID-19. If you don't believe me I suggest you check information on the virus published by the WHO.

38 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

7. Latest study indicates that it only lives on surfaces for a few hours, however it can go into carpet and material. 

I don't know what you mean by "a few hours" but in any case that question has not been studied sufficiently to draw any definitive conclusions.  Per the WHO it could last up to several days.:

"It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment)."

Further, a just published study in the Journal of Hospital Infection of similar coronaviruses including SARS and MERS suggests that human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to 9 days at room temperature. You can read about that here:

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/02/570273/how-long-can-covid-19-survive-surfaces

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Issyalex said:

The rest of the email I received in addition to the posters bit of the email. Oceania will refund your money if you turn up but denied boarding. 

I don't see where in your post that says if you turn up but are denied boarding, that O will refund you - except for the specific examples mentioned.

On Jan 29th Oceania posted this.  Have they changed their policy about "Any guest who registers a body temperature......will not be allowed to board. These guests will not receive a refund"

F1DDC06C-51DA-411B-BFB3-FE1F1F7999F8.jpeg

On 2/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, Petoonya said:

A reasonable and intelligent alternative. My cruise is in 44 days. Please don’t cancel it Oceania!

A consideration... since it is now a worry in Oregon/Washington... The statehas declared an emergency..).might the cruise lines deny you boarding because of your residence?

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 2/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jancruz said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FOR GUESTS

TRAVELING WITH OCEANIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests

Due to concerns about COVID-19 infections and in an abundance of caution, we have rigorous policies and protocols in place that are designed to protect the health and safety of our guests and crew.

These policies will apply to all guests on all sailings worldwide, until notified otherwise.

Please know that the safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your diligence and assistance in helping us ensure that all of our guests and crew remain in good health.

Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus, please speak with your personal physician or visit the websites for the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.CDC.gov or the World Health Organization at www.WHO.int.

Sincerely,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Guest Services

Oceania Cruises

·         Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau or South Korea within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.

-          Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel.

-          The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and US CDC for this virus is 14 days.

·         We have implemented enhanced pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation for all guests. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary.

·         Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel."

Now, I have to ask:  how do you provide proof of travel in order to get your refund if O has not let you travel??  Does this make sense to anyone?

4 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel."

Now, I have to ask:  how do you provide proof of travel in order to get your refund if O has not let you travel??  Does this make sense to anyone?

Maybe they mean proof of travel that you transited in HKG (or S.Korea)?

38 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

A consideration... since it is now a worry in Oregon/Washington... The statehas declared an emergency..).might the cruise lines deny you boarding because of your residence?

It’ll be everywhere in the country when I cruise in 43 days.. It’ll be everywhere globally. It’s likely infected people already all over the US- it’s just waiting to be detected is my belief. There is no immunity. If I’m not allowed to cruise no one in the world can.

So we sit on our hands and see what cruise lines and governments do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully our cruise in July won’t be cancelled! I live in Southern Oregon looking forward to spending time in a cool climate!  Already planning to rebook our Asia cruise in March 2021!

36 minutes ago, jeanine said:

Hopefully our cruise in July won’t be cancelled! I live in Southern Oregon looking forward to spending time in a cool climate!  Already planning to rebook our Asia cruise in March 2021!

Let’s keep fingers crossed. My cruises are in April and May.

22 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I don't see where in your post that says if you turn up but are denied boarding, that O will refund you - except for the specific examples mentioned.

On Jan 29th Oceania posted this.  Have they changed their policy about "Any guest who registers a body temperature......will not be allowed to board. These guests will not receive a refund"

I have the same question.

Whereas the travel advisory from Azamara states:

Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding. All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

Oceania initially posted the policy on Jan 29 that cruisingxpert quoted above stating that guests would not receive a refund if denied boarding based on body temperature. The latest Oceania travel advisory I received for my April 1 cruise (same as Issyalex posted above) omits any mention of whether or not there will be a refund.

11 hours ago, jeanine said:

Do you fly out of Medford Airport? Hopefully this thing improves soon, I commute to sfo where I am based, probably not working til the end of this month. Good luck with your travels! 

No Jeanine. I’m flying PDX to LAX. I’m about 3 hrs from Portland. And best of luck to you too. Got to hang on for the ride,.

I sure hope I’m wrong about the virus becoming stronger than the worlds battle against it.

11 hours ago, bbqoug said:

I have the same question.

Whereas the travel advisory from Azamara states:

Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding. All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

Oceania initially posted the policy on Jan 29 that cruisingxpert quoted above stating that guests would not receive a refund if denied boarding based on body temperature. The latest Oceania travel advisory I received for my April 1 cruise (same as Issyalex posted above) omits any mention of whether or not there will be a refund.

I too have the same question, maybe I’ve missed something.  Issyalex (post 33) and cruisingxpert (post 37), I’m wondering why/when did you receive the emails you refer to?  We have three European cruises booked in June and July, we’ve never had this message from O.

I just checked the O website again for their Coronavirus Statement which, as someone else pointed out, is neatly stuck at the end of the home page, you really have to look to find it.  In relation to denied boarding, the only reference I see is:

“Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel.”  But the way I read it, this appears to be only in relation to “Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau or South Korea within 30 days of their voyage embarkation.”

There is no mention of being refunded or not if you’re denied boarding if you show up with any of the symptoms.

So what happens if you, in all innocence, turn up for your cruise with a mild temperature that you weren’t aware of and are denied boarding?   It’s stated that if you knowingly (ie deliberately) traveled through one of the above countries, you’ll be denied boarding and be refunded - something that you could have avoided by changing your travel plans.  On the other hand, if you turn up for the cruise unknowingly (ie not deliberately) with a temperature and are denied boarding, will you or won’t you be refunded?  If the statement issued on 29 January as quoted above, still stands, where is it?  And if it is correct, that doesn't sound right to me.

The final payment for our first cruise is due on 20 March.  I’d like to see a clear statement from O just what the conditions are currently, and also the assurance that they will apply to our upcoming cruises.  We don’t want to make those final payments until we’re sure about this.

(See my next post for the Statement currently on Oceania's website).

Edited by cruisingaussies
clarification