I'm very concerned what to do.

thefog

I cruise in May as well.  Am i concerned? Absolutely.  Am I considering canceling? Never.   I trust that Royal will do the right thing and keep their passengers safe. If it gets too out of control I’d hope they’d cancel and refund.  Time will tell. 

• Like 6

I think cancelling is a personal decision.  I have a cruise coming up in a week and another one at the end of April.  I am not cancelling either of them.  However, I am also not traveling with elderly people or people with weakened immune systems. I think the odds of a cruise being affected by the virus are slim.  The odds of me actually contracting it are slimmer.

Everyone really should decide this for themselves and their situation.  Many people are extremely anxious about cruising right now.  I have read that some are cancelling their cruises.  That's the right thing to do for their situation.  Nobody knows what things will be like in May, but nobody can ever really know what the future holds for anything.

This might be better to discuss with your traveling group to see how everyone feels about it.  I really couldn't imagine going on a cruise if I was going to be extremely stressed out the entire time.  That would not be fun.  I am not worried, but I can understand why many people are concerned. 

• Like 3

We are also cruising in May and are not cancelling at this point but if things worsen, we will make a decision closer to cruise date.  We have had influenza A on Anthem last year and were quarantined on the ship and we really don't want to go through that again.  I really feel the decision will be made for us by then as this virus spreads or is controlled.  It is just too early to make a decision now, in our opinion.  We have insurance and will get at least a 75% FCC if we choose to cancel.

Are you afraid of the flu?  Because the flu has killed WAY more people than COVID-19 has, and I haven't seen a single thread on these forums about cancelling a cruise because of fears of influenza.

New England Journal of Medicine: Coronavirus Could Be No Worse than Flu

An editorial published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that the coronavirus currently causing panic in world markets could turn out no worse than “a severe seasonal influenza” in terms of mortality.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, thefog said:

We cruise in May and wonder if I should cancel with this virus spreading,anyone else thinking the same thing?

Where is your cruise from/to?  That information makes a HUGE difference.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Are you afraid of the flu?  Because the flu has killed WAY more people than COVID-19 has, and I haven't seen a single thread on these forums about cancelling a cruise because of fears of influenza.

New England Journal of Medicine: Coronavirus Could Be No Worse than Flu

An editorial published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that the coronavirus currently causing panic in world markets could turn out no worse than “a severe seasonal influenza” in terms of mortality.

Are you trying to start another panic. Lemmings are out in force.  Still praying for a lemming discount on our Oct. cruise. And to your point, I agree exactly 🖖. happy fluless  cruising. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I suggest you research independently rather than simply listening to the news or reading headlines from an internet search.  

Only you know your family's health or if you have a weakened immune system.  Once you read the CDC and WHO's websites (or whatever national and local health organizations are in your area) you will be in a better position to understand and make an informed decision.

Many news outlets are busy trying to maximize ratings and generate fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) because it serves their purpose of generating revenue.  Very few news outlets simply state truth or facts.  That's boring and just repeats what the experts are saying.  To make money off this they need to make it sound more enticing to pull on our emotions.

People have died so it's not something to dismiss but with some research you can better get perspective relative to all the other risks we face everyday even if we accept and enjoy life despite those everyday risks.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thefog said:

We cruise in May and wonder if I should cancel with this virus spreading, anyone else thinking the same thing?

Who knows...

Everything I'm hearing and reading seems to indicate we'll know a lot more in the next 2 - 3 weeks as to how bad this is going to get as far as travel and the spread of the virus.  My hunch is, if it gets bad in North America and elsewhere for that matter, you won't need to worry about cancelling... your cruise will be cancelled for you.

I don't pretend to understand why this virus is taken so serious compared to others, but in my life I've never seen the attention so many Countries and Health Organizations are giving to this one.  Maybe it's hype, maybe there's a lot more to it than we're all be told. I have no idea.  My feeling is, if it starts to get bad, travel will come to a standstill and you won't need to worry about a cruise this year.  Until any of that happens though, I'd keep traveling in "safe" areas until it's deemed no longer safe.

We are cruising in April out of Singapore and I am on the fence,  I know they have cancelled all of March and I think they are gonna do the same for April I guess.  I've got non refundable air which Is another problem.  What to do what to do

I don't have anything planned this year as I opted to have hip replacement surgery instead of a cruise. I'm not afraid of sailing on a cruise ship as I feel it's cleaner especially during these times than the average public place at home. However it seems like the coronavirus has taken off and is spreading. It has now hit Europe and it's only a matter of time before it hits North America. The uncertainty of not knowing if the ship will sail and if it does will the itinerary be so modified that it would just be a waste of time and money, is more stressful than the risk of travel itself.  If I had anything booked over the summer in Europe I would be canceling. 

Hasn't occurred to me to cancel but that's because we're cruising the Caribbean. That said, I wouldn't consider going to China at all, and I'd probably feel iffy over the Mediterranean. You really need to do whatever brings you the most peace, it's such a personal decision and only you know what's best for you 😊

• Like 2

We cruise in April and I’m very torn. For us, I’m not worried about getting sick (still quite unlikely and we’re young and healthy). I’m more worried about the risk of being quarantined if someone is sick on board or panic starts really taking off during the cruise. We will be traveling while our 2 year old is at home and would worry for both of our jobs if we suddenly got held up additional weeks. 

People usually talk about the actual risk of getting sick, but I don’t often see people mentioning the risk of being quarantined even if you never get sick.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't have anything planned this year as I opted to have hip replacement surgery instead of a cruise. I'm not afraid of sailing on a cruise ship as I feel it's cleaner especially during these times than the average public place at home. However it seems like the coronavirus has taken off and is spreading. It has now hit Europe and it's only a matter of time before it hits North America. The uncertainty of not knowing if the ship will sail and if it does will the itinerary be so modified that it would just be a waste of time and money, is more stressful than the risk of travel itself.  If I had anything booked over the summer in Europe I would be canceling. 

Eh????  It's in North America now!

• Like 1

We cruise in April and I’m very concerned. I AM one of those immune suppressed people. I’m only 46 and in good health overall, but I catch everything because of the meds I take. We are just going to wait and see. This is our first cruise too. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. We didn’t buy insurance, so might as well wait it out to decide.

• Like 1