I'm very concerned what to do.

thefog

41 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Well, based on the presidents news conference just now, im pretty sure the decision is going to be made for us soon.  If he does close the border with mexico, i have to believe that will affect Caribbean cruises.  Plus, although the Caribbean islands need the money, at some point, they have to realize that allowing 1000s of new people circulating through their islands each day from the outside probably isnt a great idea...

As Americans who live in Mexico your post is deeply troubling.  I am not seeing any reports of this press conference.  Can you tell me where to find this?  The only references I found mentioned closing the land border to refugees from South America and they were from a year ago. Closing arrivals by air and sea would be extremely disruptive to commerce and to the American expatriate community in Mexico.

We plan to fly from Guadalajara to Florida to catch a transatlantic cruise.  We would have to fly to Bermuda and miss the first 4 days of our cruise.  We are not aware of flights from Mexico to Bermuda.  We would have to probably fly from Mexico to canada to Bermuda?  Where there is a will there is a way...

56 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Well, based on the presidents news conference just now, im pretty sure the decision is going to be made for us soon.  If he does close the border with mexico, i have to believe that will affect Caribbean cruises.  Plus, although the Caribbean islands need the money, at some point, they have to realize that allowing 1000s of new people circulating through their islands each day from the outside probably isnt a great idea...

Ok I did find this.  https://time.com/5793068/trump-border-covid-19-travel-iran-south-korea-italy/  Sounds like a lot of hot air, but at least it is only the land border.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gbphipps said:

As Americans who live in Mexico your post is deeply troubling.  I am not seeing any reports of this press conference.  Can you tell me where to find this?  The only references I found mentioned closing the land border to refugees from South America and they were from a year ago. Closing arrivals by air and sea would be extremely disruptive to commerce and to the American expatriate community in Mexico.

We plan to fly from Guadalajara to Florida to catch a transatlantic cruise.  We would have to fly to Bermuda and miss the first 4 days of our cruise.  We are not aware of flights from Mexico to Bermuda.  We would have to probably fly from Mexico to canada to Bermuda?  Where there is a will there is a way...

Yep, here you go.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/485297-trump-says-administration-is-very-strongly-considering-closing-the

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Flu-like symptoms but my toddler ended up having infections in both ears that required antibiotics. Everyone here is on the mend already except my cough is lingering a bit (same sounding cough I heard all week on board and on the airplane). My parent's Dr gave them Tamiflu and they're also recovering nicely.  

Glad everyone is better.

We are on the Navigator mid March (with 2 kids.)  We don't have plans to cancel right now but a couple things could change that.  Primarily, if we see ships sailing from US ports quarantined between now and then.  That is our biggest fear.   I cannot imagine being stuck in a stateroom for that long and the negative impact it would have on our mental health, jobs, school, etc. would be considerable.  

Otherwise, a weekend cruise to Coco Cay is no worse than a staying at a hotel and eating at a restaurant a few times.  I've got to fly a couple times for work in the next month and I'm more concerned about that because there is a lot more randomness to airports than a cruise ship.

So hopefully some of the hype dies down.  Folks need to be smart and be informed but panic helps nobody and mob mentality  could result in people being unnecessarily confined.  

Edited by irun5k
  • Like 2

No plans to cancel ourselves - Husband and I are relatively healthy in our late twenties.  We're supposed to sail with Symphony out of Miami on May 9th for our 10th anniversary (5/9) & my mother in law's 60th birthday (5/7). Am slightly worried as everyone we're traveling with is 60+, so some of them may opt not to go.

However, if RC does end up canceling the cruise it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  It would definitely be a bummer, but we'd get our money back so 🤷‍♀️.

As it is right now, we'll be packing our work laptops with us just in case we get quarantined.  The extra time spent away from my puppy would be ridiculously hard, but otherwise it wouldn't impact us too much -- we already live in a shoebox and the stateroom is not that much smaller!! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, thefog said:

We cruise in May and wonder if I should cancel with this virus spreading,anyone else thinking the same thing?

We are also cruising from hawaii on the radiance on the 5th.Have been on anthem out of jersey a few times, same class as ovation that you are on. I am concerned about the sailing considering the part of the world where these ships are coming from but I would be re assured cruising on the quantam class ship, really clean and required to washy washy entering windjammer and all that! They are really conscious of communicable stuff these days and designing the ships with that in mind. Another plus for these sailings is that there wont be many children aboard spreading who knows what who knows where. We are not cancelling and are looking forward to a fantastic time on this great itinerary. I hope you can enjoy this trip!!!! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

We are also cruising from hawaii on the radiance on the 5th.Have been on anthem out of jersey a few times, same class as ovation that you are on. I am concerned about the sailing considering the part of the world where these ships are coming from but I would be re assured cruising on the quantam class ship, really clean and required to washy washy entering windjammer and all that! They are really conscious of communicable stuff these days and designing the ships with that in mind. Another plus for these sailings is that there wont be many children aboard spreading who knows what who knows where. We are not cancelling and are looking forward to a fantastic time on this great itinerary. I hope you can enjoy this trip!!!! 

We are sailing on the same cruise as you. We booked over a year ago, have been planning, saving and dreaming of it ever since. We are not cancelling either.

I'm 58 and not understanding the fear? It doesn't seem to be more than a flu, which I never even think about, nor would I consider getting a vaccine. Now if it was the Black Death and a large percentage of those taken sick  died I'd probably be re-thinking travel plans.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, edspec said:

I'm 58 and not understanding the fear? It doesn't seem to be more than a flu, which I never even think about, nor would I consider getting a vaccine. Now if it was the Black Death and a large percentage of those taken sick  died I'd probably be re-thinking travel plans.

1 in 40 is not bad enough for you?

• Like 2

If you think you will not enjoy the cruise because of concern, or you or traveling companion are at high risk (e.g. underlying medical condition, elderly, immunocompromised), I think you should cancel. However, if you decide to cancel, wait until closer to the cruise. If RCI cancels the cruise, you may get FCC or refund. If you have insurance with “cancel for any reason” coverage or covers you for “disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic,” then feel free to cancel any time.

38 minutes ago, edspec said:

The influenza virus lives outside the body for around 24 hours while many corona virus live for up to nine days. Thus the potential of this particular issue to get out of hand. 

We have more than a dozen cruises this year and won’t be canceling any of them. 

Which is asinine since the US has way more infected than Mexico who has 2!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Which is asinine since the US has way more infected than Mexico who has 2!

Maybe it's because the US has limited air travel from certain areas but has no control over how Mexico handles incoming travelers. Are they just as careful with travel restrictions and screenings? If not, then I can see how that could affect US citizens when people enter the country by land. I support protecting the US by restricting travel. 

Edited by TNcruising02

Maybe it's because the US has limited air travel from certain areas but has no control over how Mexico handles incoming travelers. Are they just as careful with travel restrictions and screenings? If not, then I can see how that could affect US citizens when people enter the country by land. I support protecting the US by restricting travel. 
Nope, it's all politics

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edspec said:

the issue I think is more about being stuck some place/denied entering ports/changes itineraries etc. Not necessarily the virus itself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

the issue I think is more about being stuck some place/denied entering ports/changes itineraries etc. Not necessarily the virus itself

I agree.  That's the biggest problem - fear fed by the media has spread faster than the virus itself.  Regular flu is killing more people worldwide, and yet the media has glommed onto this story.  What will they find to sensationalize next?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, edspec said:

It has a fatality rate 25 times that of the flu.

• Like 2