St John on your own

tidygirl

13 hours ago, TTEllis said:

All of them, there's really not much snorkeling at Trunk clear water and some ray's a few sharks but that's it. There's nothing on the bottom, great for swimming but no snorkeling. 

Snorkeling Cinnamon Bay probably, I really don't snorkel on STJ I drink Hienekens on Trunk Bay.

Are we talking about the same Trunk Bay in St John? I'm confused. There's definitely more than a few rays and sharks (which we didn't see any of while we were there). Before ever going here, everyone always talked about "you just have to go to Trunk Bay for snorkeling". We were there on our land vacation and the snorkeling was pretty darn good to the right side along all the rocks that stick up out of the water and there's a reef. They have some of the amazing purple turnicates. I think I have only seen these a few places before and we snorkel a lot. I know that Coki has some as well. They are so beautiful. There were a lot of fish (and huge one's), squid and plenty of huge coral and sea life. I found it to be pretty awesome. I have plenty of pictures of our snorkeling. 

We also snorkeled at Maho and it was ok and did have some coral as well but did have turtles, starfish, squid and even found an eel. 

I guess I'm a little confused about your last statement saying you don't snorkel but just before that stating that there's really not much snorkeling at Trunk? There's a reef on both sides of Trunk. 🤿

We I found

9 hours ago, blue_water said:

As you know we’re not avid snorkelers and I rely on feedback from friends who are and from DE’s...So the two spots that are most recommended (from shore) are Waterlemon Cay and Maho Bay where they often see sea turtles and rays.

Also, Hansen Bay is off the beaten path with a nice beach and reportedly good snorkeling, and Henley Cay is rated one of the best snorkel spots. Henley is off the cays of STJ just off the Caneel Bay Resort and you must take a charter or kayak to get there. We took the New Horizons sloop out of Sapphire Marina while staying at the SBRM and moored there to snorkel. However it was in the winter and the sea swells and current were too much for us. But a great spot, and that excursion was great.

I’d recommend reading reports and getting feedback from the STJ TA forum. Some there are actually very knowledgeable on the topic and can give you much better feedback?

Yea we did Maho Bay (didn't find it as impressive as Trunk was) but did see turtles there. I'll have to make sure when I return to go to Waterlemon Cay next time. Our entire trip to St Thomas was full of turtles (but mostly over in STT). 

20 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Are we talking about the same Trunk Bay in St John? I'm confused. There's definitely more than a few rays and sharks (which we didn't see any of while we were there). Before ever going here, everyone always talked about "you just have to go to Trunk Bay for snorkeling". We were there on our land vacation and the snorkeling was pretty darn good to the right side along all the rocks that stick up out of the water and there's a reef. They have some of the amazing purple turnicates. I think I have only seen these a few places before and we snorkel a lot. I know that Coki has some as well. They are so beautiful. There were a lot of fish (and huge one's), squid and plenty of huge coral and sea life. I found it to be pretty awesome. I have plenty of pictures of our snorkeling. 

We also snorkeled at Maho and it was ok and did have some coral as well but did have turtles, starfish, squid and even found an eel. 

I guess I'm a little confused about your last statement saying you don't snorkel but just before that stating that there's really not much snorkeling at Trunk? There's a reef on both sides of Trunk. 🤿

We I found

Yea we did Maho Bay (didn't find it as impressive as Trunk was) but did see turtles there. I'll have to make sure when I return to go to Waterlemon Cay next time. Our entire trip to St Thomas was full of turtles (but mostly over in STT). 

Yes ma'am, you are confused. Yes ma'am we're talking about the one and only Trunk Bay on St. John in the USVI. I'm going to try and make this post as simple as I possibly can. I don't snorkel that much, but I snorkel more than most people who say they snorkel all the time do. It's just one of those things I can't explain that. 

Of all the snorkeling tours I've been on(a couple of dozen of them) I never booked the tour my friend Adelle (The Bun Mom) here on Cruise Critic did, that's why I've been calling her "The snorkel tour Goddess" YEARS ago. 

Ok if you think the snorkeling at Trunk is something it's not, wait till you get a load of the snorkeling on Barbados, Bonaire, Dominica and Belize just for starters. 

Trunk Bay is one of my favorite beaches in the Western Hemisphere, the water, the sand, the views and the vibe are world class. The snorkeling SUCKS. Yes the area on the far right end of the beach has some snorkeling, we've all seen the little line of people 🤭 snorkeling around the little outcropping. That's great for the kids. If you've snorkeled ship wrecks on Barbados, Champagne Reefs on Dominica with Levi, Klien Bonaire, or Goffs Caye in Belize you'll never snorkel Trunk Bay again. Greatest party beach ever, sun, sand, water, facilities are GREAT, snorkeling sucks. Which doesn't mean a thing to me, I don't go to Trunk to snorkel remember silly I go to Trunk Bay to lay out on the beach and drink Hienekens.

I will tell you this though after you mentioning turtles, I told one of the members of our Cruise Critic group on our last snorkel tour on Barbados, if I see one more sea turtle I'm going back to Yosemite.......and staying. 

I snorkeled Maho on St. Martin it was ok, we had much more fun getting blown off the beach by a 767 than we did snorkeling though. Much more fun!! If you need any information on snorkel tours on any island in the Caribbean, just ask I got you covered. No problemo. Done them all some 2-3 times, it wasn't my idea I just showed up. Hope I helped you out. Todd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

I'm going to try and make this post as simple as I possibly can.

PHEW! Simple? 
Trunk is a popular snorkeling beach and also popular for those just wanting to admire the beauty from a lounge. The reef trail has been damaged over the years, but you can enjoy other areas as Mitsugirly mentioned. To answer this question though there are better snorkel spots on STJ, Trunk also tends to get more crowded as it is an easy option for day visitors...

We’ve taken half-day day sails when cruising to SXM and and full-day day sails when staying on SXM and found the snorkeling to be just ok. I think you will find that STT and the islands of the BVI offer exceptional snorkeling...And of course Belize is an amazing destination for the reef there...

Peace & Love!

Edited by blue_water

32 minutes ago, blue_water said:

PHEW! Simple? 
Trunk is a popular snorkeling beach and also popular for those just wanting to admire the beauty from a lounge. The reef trail has been damaged over the years, but you can enjoy other areas as Mitsugirly mentioned. To answer this question though there are better snorkel spots on STJ, Trunk also tends to get more crowded as it is an easy option for day visitors...

We’ve taken half-day day sails when cruising to SXM and and full-day day sails when staying on SXM and found the snorkeling to be just ok. I think you will find that STT and the islands of the BVI offer exceptional snorkeling...And of course Belize is an amazing destination for the reef there...

Peace & Love!

I still love you!!😊 

Have to disagree with you though on SXM, I forgot 2002 Thanksgiving Orient Beach down on the right just past the Dive Shop, me and the old lady we snorkeled down there. Off the chain saw everything different world. Water at Orient was incredible crystal clear just like Trunk except full of everything including a black sea urchin I happened to step on and ended up limping back to the ship and it cost me $85(US) for the ships MD to pull a black 2 inch needle out of the heal of my foot.☹️

Orient Beach I'm going back LOVE SXM, I'd take Orient over Maho all day long. 

I still love you though. Appreciate your insight, I don't have that, couldn't tell it could ya? Wish I did but it's escaped me. Have a good evening.

14 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Yes ma'am, you are confused. Yes ma'am we're talking about the one and only Trunk Bay on St. John in the USVI. I'm going to try and make this post as simple as I possibly can. I don't snorkel that much, but I snorkel more than most people who say they snorkel all the time do. It's just one of those things I can't explain that. 

Of all the snorkeling tours I've been on(a couple of dozen of them) I never booked the tour my friend Adelle (The Bun Mom) here on Cruise Critic did, that's why I've been calling her "The snorkel tour Goddess" YEARS ago. 

Ok if you think the snorkeling at Trunk is something it's not, wait till you get a load of the snorkeling on Barbados, Bonaire, Dominica and Belize just for starters. 

Trunk Bay is one of my favorite beaches in the Western Hemisphere, the water, the sand, the views and the vibe are world class. The snorkeling SUCKS. Yes the area on the far right end of the beach has some snorkeling, we've all seen the little line of people 🤭 snorkeling around the little outcropping. That's great for the kids. If you've snorkeled ship wrecks on Barbados, Champagne Reefs on Dominica with Levi, Klien Bonaire, or Goffs Caye in Belize you'll never snorkel Trunk Bay again. Greatest party beach ever, sun, sand, water, facilities are GREAT, snorkeling sucks. Which doesn't mean a thing to me, I don't go to Trunk to snorkel remember silly I go to Trunk Bay to lay out on the beach and drink Hienekens.

I will tell you this though after you mentioning turtles, I told one of the members of our Cruise Critic group on our last snorkel tour on Barbados, if I see one more sea turtle I'm going back to Yosemite.......and staying. 

I snorkeled Maho on St. Martin it was ok, we had much more fun getting blown off the beach by a 767 than we did snorkeling though. Much more fun!! If you need any information on snorkel tours on any island in the Caribbean, just ask I got you covered. No problemo. Done them all some 2-3 times, it wasn't my idea I just showed up. Hope I helped you out. Todd

I appreciate your insight and thoughts of another cruiser that snorkels a lot. I didn't say that Trunk Bay was the most amazing snorkeling I've ever done...not by far. But it was pretty darn good compared to most places I've been in STT (with the exception of Coki/Sapphire).  I have most definitely been to some out of this world snorkeling places and Trunk doesn't begin to compare. BUT, what we are talking about here is STJ/STT. People coming to these area's (usually by cruise ship) want to know where to go to snorkel and see coral and fish (which is why they ask what's the best place to go for snorkeling there, not what's the best snorkeling island to go to). I have just always read (on here) that Trunk was the best over at STJ and when Blue mentioned there were better places, I just wanted to know where I (should) have went or where I'd try to go next time we come for another land vacation there.

I consider myself a snorkel queen myself (as well as most people on these boards do as well) and it's all we ever do when we vacation (along with diving). I have dove in Barbados with some of the wrecks, snorkeled Goffs Caye and Rendezvous Caye and tons and tons of other places many many times. I would add St Lucia to one of the amazing places to snorkel as well (since you didn't mention it in your list). We cruise and vacation at least 3 times a year and my sole purpose at each port we go to is to either snorkel or dive. I have been many places and experienced different types of reefs, so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about snorkeling.  But I most definitely wasn't comparing Trunk to places OTHER than STT/STJ (because if I had to do that, I would have said the snorkeling was mediocre at best). I was comparing it to places within STT/STJ because well...that's what this particular forum is. So when the question was presented about better places to snorkel on STJ, I just wanted to know which (of the beaches) were better so that I will head that way next time. 😉 

My issue is (if others come on here to search for a snorkeling place in STJ and read your comment "not much snorkeling at Trunk clear water and some ray's a few sharks but that's it. There's nothing on the bottom, great for swimming but no snorkeling." Then this is HIGHLY misleading! Maybe if you are out in the middle of the beach there's nothing on the bottom, but that's definitely not true for the entire beach and especially along the reef are by the rocks.

P7281324%20copy-S.jpgindigo-blue%20tunicate-S.jpg

P7281360%20copy-S.jpgP7281419%20copy-S.jpg

flamingo%20tongue%20snail%202-S.jpgP7281362%20copy-S.jpg

I just took those pictures 2 months ago. That really doesn't look like no snorkeling here or that there's nothing on the bottom. Just saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just don't want people coming on the boards and being told there's no snorkeling here when there absolutely is and not at all like your (words) described. 😉 

And yes, Todd it is absolutely the reason we all share experiences here - each experience is unique! So sorry that you had that terrible experience with the needle!

We’ve stayed on OB on SXM and enjoyed it there. We’ve stopped there while traveling the island but we really enjoyed Friar’s Bay - beautiful and less busy...

We are all so fortunate to be able to enjoy these Caribbean destinations! Many take it for granted because cruising has made it so easy and affordable. But others we know can only read about them, which is so sad....

As the pandemic roars through the globe, let’s hope we can someday enjoying cruising again, whatever form that may take. In the meantime try to do as Mitsugirly did and enjoy a land vacation. Spending a few days and nights or longer gives you a better perspective of livin’ that Caribbean dream! 😀

Edited by blue_water

Ummmmm yeah, how about we leave it like this. On St. Thomas or St. John I'll leave the snorkeling to you and yours. You leave the beach and the bar to me, fair?

I've snorkeled on St. Lucia, again I'll leave the snorkeling to you and yours, if you'll leave Jalousie and the bar too me. 

Another one you might be interested in (if and when they open back up) the boardwalk at the Santa Barbara Beach and Golf Resort on Curacao, top shelf snorkeling for days, instead of a few small areas at the end of the bay with some marine life. 

Good luck on your snorkeling expeditions, pictures are really something!! Thanks

26 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Ummmmm yeah, how about we leave it like this. On St. Thomas or St. John I'll leave the snorkeling to you and yours. You leave the beach and the bar to me, fair?

I've snorkeled on St. Lucia, again I'll leave the snorkeling to you and yours, if you'll leave Jalousie and the bar too me. 

Another one you might be interested in (if and when they open back up) the boardwalk at the Santa Barbara Beach and Golf Resort on Curacao, top shelf snorkeling for days, instead of a few small areas at the end of the bay with some marine life. 

Good luck on your snorkeling expeditions, pictures are really something!! Thanks

This post is for the OP. 

Edited by TTEllis

This might help, I was on the beach at Secret Harbour (STT)in Dec. 18, everybody but me was either diving or snorkeling the right end of the beach(The Dive Shop) all the way out to the end of the bay, looked and sounded like they were really enjoying themselves. 

On St. Thomas this may be a great option for you. Yep, I sat at the bar, The Sunset Grille, the rest is history. 

Secret Harbour on St. Thomas it's what your looking for. Go down to the Dive Shop all the way down on the right(east end) of the beach, they'll hook you right up. I certainly hope you enjoy yourself, the individuals I saw were having a blast. Good luck Todd

Dear TTEllis: I hate to tell you, but snorkeling is not a static activity. You might not have seen a darn thing at Trunk Bay on Monday, but on Tuesday, I might see all sorts of flora and fauna. The time of year, the time of day, the weather conditions, etc. all play a role in "snorkelability." Another thing is to slow down. If you stop and watch a small area of a reef, you will be rewarded.

The biggest variable IMHO is not a change in conditions from one day to the next, but the number of people and the damage caused. I would expect conditions to be much improved for Mitsugirly’s recent visit simply because fewer people have been there. At least that seems to be the situation being reported in many areas...

[EDIT] And of course having the time and interest to seek out and explore different areas rather than just the most popular spot there...

Edited by blue_water

19 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Dear TTEllis: I hate to tell you, but snorkeling is not a static activity. You might not have seen a darn thing at Trunk Bay on Monday, but on Tuesday, I might see all sorts of flora and fauna. The time of year, the time of day, the weather conditions, etc. all play a role in "snorkelability." Another thing is to slow down. If you stop and watch a small area of a reef, you will be rewarded.

Static? It's so unpredictable many times it's a matter of luck, being in the right place at the right time, or stumbling on to something by accident.

Example: 2011 Emerald Princess 10 day Southern Explorer was on St. Lucia swimming about a half a mile maybe a bit more out between the Pitons in water 3000ft deep maybe a bit more I looked down at my feet and saw between 50 and 100 sharks, beautiful!! Literally hundreds of sharks about 25 feet below me, I'm a half a mile maybe a bit more out, all I could do was laugh. About that time I felt something to my RIGHT of me it was a fish that's called a sunfish about the size of a king size bed, I couldn't believe it. I was swimming with an ocean full of awesome fish and I meant nothing to them. I just started swimming with them, it was one of those things that only happens by accident or in my case devine intervention.

2013 Emerald Princess exact same cruise Emerald Southern Explorer. Did Spencer's Beach Break again so I could go right back to the same spot between the Pitons and swim with sharks and every other type of life you could imagine. Nothing, nothing!! Kept swimming, looking, made a special trip to this same spot where 2 years earlier I had swam with life I never imagined much less would ever happen to me. I saw nothing, could have gone back the next day, and they may have been there. That's just the nature of the sea. I snorkeled Petit Piton with our group water between the Pitons is awesome. I'm going back again if Princess will take me. Too the same spot!! Hopefully I get to swim with sharks again, between the Pitons me I would rather swim with sharks than snorkel, I've done both. 

I'm not sure that will ever happen to me again but that doesn't mean I quit trying. TTEllis😀

10 hours ago, blue_water said:

The biggest variable IMHO is not a change in conditions from one day to the next, but the number of people and the damage caused. I would expect conditions to be much improved for Mitsugirly’s recent visit simply because fewer people have been there. At least that seems to be the situation being reported in many areas...

[EDIT] And of course having the time and interest to seek out and explore different areas rather than just the most popular spot there...

Another big variable is damage to the reefs from the hurricanes. The south end of Orient past the Dive shop on SXM is unbelievable snorkeling and diving. Other than maybe the Champagne reef on Dominica I'm not sure I've seen that much marine life in that vast of an area.

With that being said, Orient got hit hard by a couple of hurricanes they still haven't rebuilt and I don't think Club Orient is even open anymore. You have no idea whether or not the hurricanes have damaged the reef. That's unfortunate, love that beach, love everything about Orient, except the sea urchins.😟

Caneel Bay on STJ, that thing/mess/disaster you drive by on the way to Trunk that looks like it's been hit ground zero by back to back hurricanes because it has. The National Park Service is not renewing the lease on the property, the lease expires in Sept. 1, 2023. The National Park Service sounds to me like are going to have it demolished and turn the area back into a park. That property sits to low for anything, that's why it looks like it's been thermo-nuked, nope just wiped out by back to back hurricanes. What a mess.

• 11 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, mitsugirly said:

I appreciate your insight and thoughts of another cruiser that snorkels a lot. I didn't say that Trunk Bay was the most amazing snorkeling I've ever done...not by far. But it was pretty darn good compared to most places I've been in STT (with the exception of Coki/Sapphire).  I have most definitely been to some out of this world snorkeling places and Trunk doesn't begin to compare. BUT, what we are talking about here is STJ/STT. People coming to these area's (usually by cruise ship) want to know where to go to snorkel and see coral and fish (which is why they ask what's the best place to go for snorkeling there, not what's the best snorkeling island to go to). I have just always read (on here) that Trunk was the best over at STJ and when Blue mentioned there were better places, I just wanted to know where I (should) have went or where I'd try to go next time we come for another land vacation there.

I consider myself a snorkel queen myself (as well as most people on these boards do as well) and it's all we ever do when we vacation (along with diving). I have dove in Barbados with some of the wrecks, snorkeled Goffs Caye and Rendezvous Caye and tons and tons of other places many many times. I would add St Lucia to one of the amazing places to snorkel as well (since you didn't mention it in your list). We cruise and vacation at least 3 times a year and my sole purpose at each port we go to is to either snorkel or dive. I have been many places and experienced different types of reefs, so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about snorkeling.  But I most definitely wasn't comparing Trunk to places OTHER than STT/STJ (because if I had to do that, I would have said the snorkeling was mediocre at best). I was comparing it to places within STT/STJ because well...that's what this particular forum is. So when the question was presented about better places to snorkel on STJ, I just wanted to know which (of the beaches) were better so that I will head that way next time. 😉 

My issue is (if others come on here to search for a snorkeling place in STJ and read your comment "not much snorkeling at Trunk clear water and some ray's a few sharks but that's it. There's nothing on the bottom, great for swimming but no snorkeling." Then this is HIGHLY misleading! Maybe if you are out in the middle of the beach there's nothing on the bottom, but that's definitely not true for the entire beach and especially along the reef are by the rocks.

P7281324%20copy-S.jpgindigo-blue%20tunicate-S.jpg

P7281360%20copy-S.jpgP7281419%20copy-S.jpg

flamingo%20tongue%20snail%202-S.jpgP7281362%20copy-S.jpg

I just took those pictures 2 months ago. That really doesn't look like no snorkeling here or that there's nothing on the bottom. Just saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just don't want people coming on the boards and being told there's no snorkeling here when there absolutely is and not at all like your (words) described. 😉 

What camera did you use?

Edited by BoozinCroozin