Cancel or Go? For sailings between now and July 30, 2020?

Sam.Seattle

Cancel or Go (for people with valid cruises book from now through July 30, 2020)  

688 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go or cancel your valid booked cruise between now and July 30, 2020?

• I am going to cancel and forefit any deposits and payments.
    • Count me in! I am going as long as Celebrity does not cancel.
    • I am so confused I can't make a decesion yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2020 at 11:18 PM

Regrettably, we’re canceling our cruise out of Sydney leaving in less than two weeks. Both of us are in the high risk group, over 60 with underlying conditions and our docs have told us not to travel. The death of a San Francisco 71 year-old (my age) man from the Grand Princess was also very scary. Too close to home.
I called Celebrity Flights this morning and found out that our flight costs will be fully refunded to our credit card (not a FCC). I cancelled all of our X excursions and got emails stating all of that will go back on my credit card.

I don’t love the idea of such a large FCC, for a fear of bankruptcy. Hopefully, there’s a bailout in that case, like the way Obama saved the auto industry.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, Pushka said:

Given the Princess Test results just released, I am waiting on cancelling because my bet is on that the Cruiseline will have to cancel and fully refund. Just my 2 cents! And which is nothing more than a gut feel in the latest Princess ship involvement. Like many other industries have been forced to do, which is a temporary closure, I think the cruiseline industry is next.

I think the cruises won’t be viable anyway, profit wise, with the amount of pax now backing out, so the cruise lines may start cancelling the sailings themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdc1127 said:

Going to Galapagos Do you think the risk is the same?

Trying to decide what to do leaving Thursday Are we being naive

Only you can make that decision for yourself.  I will say that was the best trip we ever did.  I can’t believe how the price of it has more than doubled since we went five years ago.

If it was me, I would be going, but I am in a very low risk group.

ETA: I do have a cruise out of Europe in June and I have not canceled that.  Of course, it may be canceled for me, but who knows.

Edited by mic123
Addition

Just came back from Walmart and the paint salesman just came back from a Princess cruise (not THAT Princess cruise).  He had a fabulous time, no problems, although he said the ship seemed a little less crowded.  I have to admit he made me feel better.

Although I did say to DH "you know, he could be a carrier"  😱

I'm only changing my travel plans (cruise, Disney, etc.) if they are cancelled/closed on me. Otherwise I'm going to live my life.

Of course I firmly believe that when it is your time, it is your time and you're gone regardless. If you weren't on a flight you were scheduled on and it crashes and you're not hit by a car, etc. then it wasn't your time. If you stay inside to avoid COVID-19 and it is your time, you'll trip over your cat and hit your head the wrong way or something. You can take all the precautions you want, but if it's your time, it's going to happen somehow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm only changing my travel plans (cruise, Disney, etc.) if they are cancelled/closed on me. Otherwise I'm going to live my life.

Of course I firmly believe that when it is your time, it is your time and you're gone regardless. If you weren't on a flight you were scheduled on and it crashes and you're not hit by a car, etc. then it wasn't your time. If you stay inside to avoid COVID-19 and it is your time, you'll trip over your cat and hit your head the wrong way or something. You can take all the precautions you want, but if it's your time, it's going to happen somehow.

As many people have stated, it’s not just about catching the virus, it’s all the other issues that are occurring in this present situation. I wouldn’t fancy being quarantined for 14+ away from my family, prevented from flying home, missing ports or being pelted with bricks and rocks by protestors on the dockside - worrying about all that would not be a nice relaxing vacation in my eyes. But as you say, each to their own.

Another ship with nowhere to dock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-51789355

• Like 1

It's not if it happens, but when it happens, as soon as a passenger on a major ship has it in Port Everglades or Miami, I'm guessing the CDC is going to halt cruises.      I'm pretty excited about scooping up that dirt cheap RCCL stock when this happens.

The Government is not going to want to deal with 7,000+ people in one location needing to be hauled off to an army base for quarantine every single weekend.

Edited by kimberpuppy
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, FFMilesJunkie said:

SARS may have had a higher mortality rate, but it only killed around 800 people.  COVID-19 has already killed over 3,000 and the numbers are growing everyday.  The mortality rate is lower that SARS/MERS however we are just getting started with this.  Hopefully the worst case scenarios won't play out, but to treat it like no big deal is only fooling yourself.  

The challenge will be what to do when the clusters of infections grow to a point where they can't be contained at all.  I think we are almost to that point.  The next few weeks will be crucial. The Seattle area is the real test.  

I read a projection by a biologist who does statistical models who talked about how the virus is spreading exponentially. She talked about the number of hospital beds in the U.S.,  ventilators and such. It doesn’t look good and I’m not one to panic. Anyway, I had a cruise booked for May and cancelled for another reason last month. I would have definitely cancelled anyway because of the virus. Everyone please make informed decisions and do what makes you comfortable. For those cruising, have fun and stay well.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, SausPud said:

I cruise in 30 days and have had a letter from X, stating their policies if refusal happens at the port.

IMHO, all of this is being blown way out of proportion. Last year in the UK, 100,000 people died from the flu, this isn't reported and made people scared to step outside their own homes. This virus isn't as bad as SARS and yet the big news and panic is worldwide.

I've paid for a holiday and I'm going. 

Hi SausPud

According to Public Health England, your flu figures are quite a way off.....

For the last year for which statistics are available (full year 2017/18 - the year is adjusted to show the 'flu season' rather than calendar year) UK deaths of all ages attributable to flu were 26,000.  Still a massive number, mind, but not 100k by any stretch.  I think this is one of those myths that gets repeated on a regular basis.

Page 51 of this report attached shows the detail.  

We wouldn't want all our American friends on here to think that the UK is a dangerous place to be!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sdc1127 said:

I'm laughing...

You have to read Kurt Vonnegutt's novel "Galápagos"

This is the start of the plot summary from Wikipedia:  "Galápagos is the story of a small band of mismatched humans who are shipwrecked on the fictional island of Santa Rosalia in the Galápagos Islands after a global financial crisis cripples the world's economy. Shortly thereafter, a disease renders all humans on Earth infertile, with the exception of the people on Santa Rosalia, making them the last specimens of humankind. Over the next million years, their descendants, the only fertile humans left on the planet, eventually evolve into a furry species resembling sea lions"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sdc1127 said:

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm laughing...

You have to read Kurt Vonnegutt's novel "Galápagos"

This is the start of the plot summary from Wikipedia:  "Galápagos is the story of a small band of mismatched humans who are shipwrecked on the fictional island of Santa Rosalia in the Galápagos Islands after a global financial crisis cripples the world's economy. Shortly thereafter, a disease renders all humans on Earth infertile, with the exception of the people on Santa Rosalia, making them the last specimens of humankind. Over the next million years, their descendants, the only fertile humans left on the planet, eventually evolve into a furry species resembling sea lions"

Thanks for your reply now I have something else to worry about !! Haha

• Like 1

Me and the wife are not cancelling our cruise in April as it is our honeymoon,

We are both under the age of 30 (my wife will be turning 30 on the ship) and neither of us are in the high risk areas.

This is our first time cruising and we are really looking forward to it.

We are travelling from the UK too and the cancellation process could be painful.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Lordsmish said:

Me and the wife are not cancelling our cruise in April as it is our honeymoon,

We are both under the age of 30 (my wife will be turning 30 on the ship) and neither of us are in the high risk areas.

This is our first time cruising and we are really looking forward to it.

We are travelling from the UK too and the cancellation process could be painful.

Congratulations!  Which voyage are you going on?

9 minutes ago, Lordsmish said:

Cruising on the Silhouette around the southern Caribbean on April 5th.

The problem is, things are changing from hour to hour, day to day. If our numbers continue to rise, like they have over the last few days, then we may be added to the restrictions list along with France and Germany etc. for Caribbean itineraries . No guarantees of anything in the current climate which must be awful when you are trying to sort a wedding/honeymoon etc.  I believe the U.K. has now been added to the ‘Cruise with Confidence’ policy, so you could postpone to a later date if it does look doubtful in a week or two. 

All that being said, I do hope you have a wonderful honeymoon.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:42 PM, Denny01 said:

then got an email from Viking that we can cancel any cruise with Viking up to 24hrs prior to departure and receive a FCC and require a 2yr booking. We have a departure out of Bucharest going to Budapest departing here on 18 March....so I have only a few days to make that call. 

Den

I have family on a Viking cruise now - they have been on the ship for 2 months  or close.  their ports have been changed quite a bit and no one new is allowed to board. they are having the BEST TIME ever! 

Honestly, if I had the means, I would rather be stuck on a ship sailing from port to port than anywhere else

Even on the days when they are just restocking and not disembarking they are having a good time.

Good luck with your upcoming sail dates!!!

We are on the April 5th sailing too (Silhouette).  36 & 35,, our 15th Anniversary. My family is giving us grief for going.. it certainly is putting a damper on our mood. Well, mine. Hubby just doesn’t listen 😏

Hoping it all goes well for those of us still planing on going. I guess we shall sea 😃😉