Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sam.Seattle

Cancel or Go? For sailings between now and July 30, 2020?

Cancel or Go (for people with valid cruises book from now through July 30, 2020)  

688 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you go or cancel your valid booked cruise between now and July 30, 2020?

    • I am going to cancel and forefit any deposits and payments.
      58
    • Count me in! I am going as long as Celebrity does not cancel.
      487
    • I am so confused I can't make a decesion yet.
      143

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2020 at 11:18 PM

Recommended Posts

Another German Cruise ship just quarantined in Norway for testing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hllb said:

 

I would hope they'd be doing refunds rather than change the itineraries significantly. We wanted to tour Italy.  Our cruise is stopping at a couple of other places, but those were not our priority.  I never would have booked a cruise that didn't go to Italy, as that's our focus, including 5 days on land.  

 

I would expect that both would be on the table...They couldn't force you to do an itinerary drastically different than what you signed up for.  As to the current itinerary, those "Non-Italian" ports (Split, Kotor and Corfu) are actually pretty cool...and pretty Italian in a lot of ways...All were integral parts of Ancient Rome...and, afterwards, were part of Venice for several centuries.  One of the highlights of Split is the Palace of Diocletian--the Roman Emperor--so it very much has the feel of Rome...Corfu is dominated by two large Venetian fortresses...and great Italian food can be found all over the island.  I think you'll enjoy it even with those "non-Italian" ports the way it is currently scheduled...But, yes, if they re-routed it, all bets are off the table...For us, we'd just wait and see, then, if they change it, we can decide...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are cruising on Apex, out of Rome, June 13th.  We were so looking forward to our first Mediterranean cruise on this brand new ship 

 

Because of what's happening in Italy right now, I have a hard time believing it won't be cancelled or delayed.  I'm hoping for the best, and unless the cruise is cancelled, we will be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

 

I would expect that both would be on the table...They couldn't force you to do an itinerary drastically different than what you signed up for.  As to the current itinerary, those "Non-Italian" ports (Split, Kotor and Corfu) are actually pretty cool...and pretty Italian in a lot of ways...All were integral parts of Ancient Rome...and, afterwards, were part of Venice for several centuries.  One of the highlights of Split is the Palace of Diocletian--the Roman Emperor--so it very much has the feel of Rome...Corfu is dominated by two large Venetian fortresses...and great Italian food can be found all over the island.  I think you'll enjoy it even with those "non-Italian" ports the way it is currently scheduled...But, yes, if they re-routed it, all bets are off the table...For us, we'd just wait and see, then, if they change it, we can decide...

I agree, those ports look great, but if we had planned on touring Italy mainly (spending time both before and after the cruise), then a reroute that avoids Italy doesn't work. I saw another post where Celebrity cancelled a cruise and offered to cover up to $300 in change/cancellation fees for airlines or hotels. Seems like a good will gesture, which is nice, but definitely doesn't cover stuff.  I went ahead and booked hotels for the days of the cruise, in case it's cancelled but we're still comfortable going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had been wrestling with whether to make fp on a July river cruise with Viking.  Yesterday they announced everyone currently booked on one of their ocean or river sailings plus all new reservations booked by 4/30 have been given 100% cfar coverage.  You can cancel up to 24 hrs before sailing and receive a 100% FCC good for 2 years.  Wish other lines like X would follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Had been wrestling with whether to make fp on a July river cruise with Viking.  Yesterday they announced everyone currently booked on one of their ocean or river sailings plus all new reservations booked by 4/30 have been given 100% cfar coverage.  You can cancel up to 24 hrs before sailing and receive a 100% FCC good for 2 years.  Wish other lines like X would follow.

Wow, me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sail from Barcelona on May 9 - if the planes are flying and boat is sailing, we will be there.  Then again, we are in our 50's and in great health - so no concerns about it -- and if we get it -- we get it and will deal with it.  

Hopefully things will calm down when the "newness" of the virus wears off and media finds something else to focus on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CruisingAgain2014 said:

We sail from Barcelona on May 9 - if the planes are flying and boat is sailing, we will be there.  Then again, we are in our 50's and in great health - so no concerns about it -- and if we get it -- we get it and will deal with it.  

Hopefully things will calm down when the "newness" of the virus wears off and media finds something else to focus on.  

The issue is less getting the virus (at least for us) than it is missing many/all ports on the cruise, and having all the tourist attractions closed. Closures and port denials are already going on. I didn't pay all that money to be stuck in a cruise cabin and a hotel room 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our July cruise is 75% Italy and we selected that cruise because of that itinerary. We have cruised extensively to Croatia and Serbia on a small boat (35 person) and have no wish to see those ports for what would be the fourth time. Prior to the Edge cruise we are doing a small boat cruise (35 person) through the small Greek Islands. We have also cruised previously into Turkey. We would not be going if the itinerary changed to avoid Italy. 
 

We also have bookings with Viking for 2021 and we received that email too which surprised me being so far away. We will be modifying one of them as a result. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 6:25 PM, Von & John said:

 

Just looked at Celebrity & they have not updated the Travel Advisory, since Wed-02/26...
Maybe they will update later tonight or tomorrow...

 

Interestingly - Celebrity updated their Travel Advisory today (Tue, 03/03)...

However, it's dated Friday, 02/28/20 & it still doesn't match RCI...

Maybe they'll update again tomorrow 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, neilrr said:

I was curious -- we are on the Reflection 7/6/20 Sailing out of Dublin and we are taking a wait and see attitude.  I noticed that after the June 5th Sailing of Reflection there are no other sailings until ours on 7/6 (which I found strange). Is the ship going into Dry Dock? Or is it possibly being chartered? I have not seen anything about this gap. Thanks for your assistance.

 

Did you find any information? Have not heard that Reflection is scheduled to go into dry dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July sailing out of Italy (lots of italy ports) and I'm going unless they cancel.  But if Italy is still a NO-GO in July......there will be much bigger issues than our cruises being cancelled because it's spreading more and more each day and if they don't get it under control by then, the entire world (or most) will be a NO-GO.  And in that case, if I live in a NO-GO zone, what's the difference if I travel to another NO-GO zone???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

Coronavirus news is the leading story this week.  I am curious what us folks holding valid cruise reservations are doing?

I am booked for an April sailing and at this moment plan on going!  What about the rest you Celebrity cruisers?

The OP is designed to create hysteria.  This is nuts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lamb616 said:

July sailing out of Italy (lots of italy ports) and I'm going unless they cancel.  But if Italy is still a NO-GO in July......there will be much bigger issues than our cruises being cancelled because it's spreading more and more each day and if they don't get it under control by then, the entire world (or most) will be a NO-GO.  And in that case, if I live in a NO-GO zone, what's the difference if I travel to another NO-GO zone???

The issue at that point would be the medical care available in your destination.  Italy?  I'd be OK with. Korea or Japan?  Top notch.  China?  Nope. Lots of other countries I'd put in the nope category too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure that the people in the Corporate office are feeling the heat. They have very difficult decisions to make and I am certain that they're doing their best to protect all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, Pushka said:

Getting the virus doesn't bother me. The hysteria around it does. 

Pushka

 

i so hope your right. Less than 50 days till our cruise. We will have to take 15 days when we return away from kids.  Just makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked a 2 day cruise out of Miami for April 4th. Call me crazy, but for $158 for 2 days for a balcony I couldn't resist the short getaway. I work for an airline, so airfare is free. I'll enjoy the few days away and Nassau. I'm not worried about the virus or being quarantined. If I get sick I'm unlikely to suffer any real consequences since I'm younger and healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen an 8 day Apex maiden voyage out of Southampton in April for stg£856 but no thanks and in addition as our UK airline that serves S'oton looks set to fail this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The OP is designed to create hysteria.  This is nuts!

I am so sorry you miss interpreted my questions.  I simply wanted to know what other folks are doing.  Have a wonderful day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another Princess ship is being rerouted back to SF as positive cases from the previous cruise have resulted in a man passing away in California with Coronavirus. B2B pax have been informed to stay in their cabins.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-kaiser-roseville-death-california/

 

This is exactly why it’s not just about catching the virus but all the other issues when cruising in the current climate.

Edited by villauk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I am so sorry you miss interpreted my questions.  I simply wanted to know what other folks are doing.  Have a wonderful day.

 

Its a very pertinent topic - You shouldn't concern yourself with people who have their heads in the sand - Many are weighing their decisions with this situation .

Edited by Forecheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

 

Did you find any information? Have not heard that Reflection is scheduled to go into dry dock.

Hi dutchclogs - I have not seen or heard anything further... It is a bit strange.... with that gap in June and no sailing until mine on July 6....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Hi dutchclogs - I have not seen or heard anything further... It is a bit strange.... with that gap in June and no sailing until mine on July 6....

 

Neil,

This "gap" was there at least last June. I was looking for an Iceland cruise for 2 couples, one who could only get vacation time in July, and one who wanted to cruise beginning of June.

 

There was nothing in between for the Reflection, which I found it weird, but it suited perfectly "my clients".

 

Yesterday, the one in June 5th decided to cancel (undergoing chemmo), and those in your cruise are wavering.... The husband is head of Ob/Gyb in a big hospital here, and cannot afford a quarantine....

 

All in all -- a very sad situation for everyone.

Personally, we have an "taster" on Apex 4 weeks from now .... not sure it it'll be a "go"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, NinaBlue22 said:

We are cruising on Apex, out of Rome, June 13th.  We were so looking forward to our first Mediterranean cruise on this brand new ship 

 

Because of what's happening in Italy right now, I have a hard time believing it won't be cancelled or delayed.  I'm hoping for the best, and unless the cruise is cancelled, we will be there.

We are on the next sailing. I’m still not too concerned. A lot can happen in a short amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...