Cancel or Go? For sailings between now and July 30, 2020?

Sam.Seattle

Cancel or Go (for people with valid cruises book from now through July 30, 2020)  

688 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go or cancel your valid booked cruise between now and July 30, 2020?

• I am going to cancel and forefit any deposits and payments.
    • Count me in! I am going as long as Celebrity does not cancel.
    • I am so confused I can't make a decesion yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2020 at 11:18 PM

1 minute ago, hcat said:

What happens if X cancels your cruise?  Do you get money back, a new cruise???You still have til June to  see what transpires.

What does your TA contract say about cancellation fees.? Seems very out of line. Can you speak to the agency owner?

Can you transfer to a later date without paying the fee? ( how much is the deposit you will lose?)  If you  postpone, maybe  pick a far out date and find a way to dump your TA.

I called Celebrity and they said if they cancel we get 100% refund.  I can re-book another cruise if I choose.  TA said $250 cancellation fee per person. Thats $500 for me.  She emailed me this.  It does not state a $ amount in the invoice she sent me just that there is a cancellation fee.   If I choose to re-book next year I will cancel and never use her again. 

I cruise in 30 days and have had a letter from X, stating their policies if refusal happens at the port.

IMHO, all of this is being blown way out of proportion. Last year in the UK, 100,000 people died from the flu, this isn't reported and made people scared to step outside their own homes. This virus isn't as bad as SARS and yet the big news and panic is worldwide.

I've paid for a holiday and I'm going. 

• Like 1

I have a Caribbean cruise leaving in 10 days. I’m very alarmed at the situation now brewing up on the Grand Princes. My husband has underlying health issues. The numbers of cases of coronavirus are going up everywhere and it only takes one passenger to develop symptoms onboard to turn a dream cruise into a horrible situation. Also can’t really risk being away for a prolonged period as I’m a carer for a family member,Thinking of cancelling and weighing up the risks. Horrible situation. 

4 minutes ago, SausPud said:

I cruise in 30 days and have had a letter from X, stating their policies if refusal happens at the port.

IMHO, all of this is being blown way out of proportion. Last year in the UK, 100,000 people died from the flu, this isn't reported and made people scared to step outside their own homes. This virus isn't as bad as SARS and yet the big news and panic is worldwide.

SARS may have had a higher mortality rate, but it only killed around 800 people.  COVID-19 has already killed over 3,000 and the numbers are growing everyday.  The mortality rate is lower that SARS/MERS however we are just getting started with this.  Hopefully the worst case scenarios won't play out, but to treat it like no big deal is only fooling yourself.  

The challenge will be what to do when the clusters of infections grow to a point where they can't be contained at all.  I think we are almost to that point.  The next few weeks will be crucial. The Seattle area is the real test.  

• Like 2

We're looking at cancelling our cruise this Saturday. Will lose a lot of money but almost forced into this position... this is something you do now want to chance and get, and pass it on to others.

Does anyone know if you cancel your flights by celebrity that you get your money back from that?

18 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Can you share their policy on port refusals?

6 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

We're looking at cancelling our cruise this Saturday. Will lose a lot of money but almost forced into this position... this is something you do now want to chance and get, and pass it on to others.

Does anyone know if you cancel your flights by celebrity that you get your money back from that?

I think I remember that if you cancel your Flights by Celebrity after final payment but before taking the cruise, you pay a $200 cancellation fee per person. We’re using miles to go to Sydney (which we get back for a fee) and Flights by X to return from Auckland.

I agree with Jacob. Horrible situation. My cruise is this Sunday. 6 days out of Ft Lauderdale (Adventure of the Seas) followed by 7 days out of Miami. (Symphony of the Seas) I’ve lost a lot of sleep this week deciding what to do. I am 67 traveling alone. I can’t imagine being quarantined in a small cabin and being isolated by myself.
We don’t yet have enough info as things are unfolding daily and even hourly. I’ve gone back and forth. Yesterday morning I thought I would go but once I heard about the Grand Princess my thoughts are now leaning towards canceling.
If you have a cruise in another month or so your lucky as time will tell.  For those of us who have bookings this week and the following it’s a tough decision. I think at this point the cruise lines should be offering those of us who want to cancel a refund towards another cruise later on this year. The Symphony has over 6,000 people aboard. What a nightmare if something was to happen. I worry that like the situation on the Grand Princess someone could be on that ship now and pass it to someone who was doing B2B. Next voyage sales and new passengers get effected. I am not or have never been a germ a fob but this is different. 

• Like 10

I’m with you IVKathy all the way. I can’t sleep either and am in a horrible quandary and we are likely to lose a large sum of money.  My husband is still keen to go, it’s for our 30 th wedding anniversary but I’m very worried about becoming ill or being quarantined far from home..we are from the UK. I checked with Celebrity yesterday and they said they thought of a quarantine situation arose they thought the ship would return to Fort Lauderdale. I read now though the Grand Princess is being kept at sea with helicopters delivering test kits, theatre shows and last port cancelled, 21 people sick and 62 back to back passengers quarantined in their cabins. This is just what I’m worrying about! Just now I have received another email from Celebrity re temperature checking everyone and wanting to know baseline oxygen levels in guests with lung conditions. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many people who have real concerns about cruising, can't afford to lose their money, so they attend the port and state they have been coughing and have a sore throat.  Or say they have had contact with a positive case. And thus receive a full refund. Because in reality that is the situation that cruiselines are forcing people into by their current policies. Maybe they need to look at Vikings Policy right now. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Artisticgirl said:

I'm booked on the Celebrity Best of Italy and Malta cruise June 12th.  I have booked a hotel in Rome for June 11th.   I paid in full already but the final payment date is March 14th.   I don't know what to do.  I will lose my deposit but can be credited for another cruise.  My TA, who was handed the cruise since I booked it and transferred to her, wants to charge me $500 to cancel.  I will never use her again.  She did absolutely nothing.  I'm torn because this could all disappear with flu season once the weather warms up.   It our 25th Wedding Anniversary so postponing til next summer kind of takes the excitement away.  Not sure what to do.  I will see what transpires within the next week. 

We are booked on this cruise as well.  We are just going to wait and see what happens.  If it goes, we will go.  If not then we are refunded and will book something else later.  We also have air through Celebrity, so no issue there either.  We have a hotel booked in Rome for Jun 9-12 but can cancel with no penalty up to three days prior.  We figure it will be sorted out for us one way or another, so we're not really worrying about the "what if".

Obviously, I don't know your whole situation, but you may be better letting them do the canceling so you are not losing anything.

I think we will know a lot more once the ships reposition...or not.

Our cruise leaves out of San Juan on April 18.  Just received the following email from Celebrity:

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to advise you of some additional health screening procedures that will occur at the pier during your check-in and boarding process.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew.  

Effective Friday, March 6, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests, crewmembers, and visitors prior to boarding any vessel.  Your temperature will be taken via a noninvasive digital scan.  If your temperature registers above 100.4°F (38° C), you and your traveling companions will be referred to a secondary health screening.  

Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings.  Any guests who are denied boarding due to concerns during their health screening will receive 100% refund.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

Guests with chronic lung illness are advised to contact us in advance with any questions or bring a letter from a medical practitioner that indicates normal baseline oxygen saturation.  If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Another Celebrity email earlier today:

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your travel plans.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew.  

These temporary safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will be reviewed daily.  Until further notice, any person, regardless of nationality, who has traveled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation, will be unable to board our ships.  This includes traveling on connecting flights through these areas or coming in to contact with people who have traveled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

As a result, it is imperative that you review your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or Italy.  Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

Boarding will also be denied for any person who within 15 days prior to embarkation, has had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal: 

• Any person who reports feeling unwell or displays flu-like symptoms.
  • Any person who has traveled to, from, or through Japan or Thailand in the 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 15 days prior to embarkation to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, Italy, South Korea, Japan, or Thailand.
  • In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds. Additional restrictions may be imposed based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.

We have rigorous medical protocols in place to help passengers and crew members who feel unwell while sailing. Our protocols include:

• Professional medical treatment
  • Isolation of unwell individuals from the general ship population
  • Intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures

We are assessing developments constantly and will update these measures as needed.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land.

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry. 

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or Italy, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

The crazy thing is, almost everybody has to fly to the port to get on the cruise potentially risking themselves before getting on the cruise ship. So this is saying they're fine with that, not our problem, your risk, but if you have symptoms at time of boarding, you can fly back and contaminate your way home. Just a really crappy way to save face and cover ass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not a username2 said:

The crazy thing is, almost everybody has to fly to the port to get on the cruise potentially risking themselves before getting on the cruise ship. So this is saying they're fine with that, not our problem, your risk, but if you have symptoms at time of boarding, you can fly back and contaminate your way home. Just a really crappy way to save face and cover ass.

Exactly. This whole thing is a CYA exercise For Celebrity.. Can't be policed and it expects those refused embarkation to just leave the port, usually in a foreign country, and have the cash to book some accommodation on the spot, or else fly home and infect others and casually enter their own country as a potential risk. Most likely back into the US, UK and Australia. 

Well after much back and forth and some sleepless nights I made a final decision. After discussing it with my son, who encouraged me to go and to have fun, I’ve decided to go!

My first cruise leaves this Sunday. Keep me in your thoughts for good sailings. I feel a little bit better after I received this email from RCCL tonight. EVERYONE will be screened. I guess if you don’t want to go you can just call like the letter says and say you have a fever. They don’t even want you to show up @ the  port. Good luck to everyone still making their decisions! 

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry. 

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect: 

• Your temperature will be checked again. 
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level. 
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail. 

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation while we do everything possible to keep our ships safe for you! We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

LOOK AT THIS TEMP CANCELATION POLICY PRINCESS ANNOUNCED TODAY

What's New?

The details vary by departure date. The following applies to new and existing bookings on cruises and cruisetours in all markets globally.

Date of Departure* Benefit
April 3, 2020 or earlier Cancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
April 4, 2020 - May 31, 2020 Cancel by March 31 and receive Future Cruise Credit for 100% of cancellation fees
June 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020 Final Payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier. Excludes charter cruises.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD / $150 AUD per stateroom for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per stateroom for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per stateroom for 6 day and longer cruises

For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.

• Like 1

Hope Celebrity review their policy soon.

We are not due to sail until July to the Baltic - 2 Aqua cabins and currently we will wait and see what happens- if things are still getting worse, then we will not be paying the final balance and will resign to losing the NRD's and probably 2x future cruise credits we were using.

Hopefully they will change final payments from 90 days to 60 days, but TA says no sign yet.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:28 PM, Sam.Seattle said:

Coronavirus news is the leading story this week.  I am curious what us folks holding valid cruise reservations are doing?

I am booked for an April sailing and at this moment plan on going!  What about the rest you Celebrity cruisers?

Hi there, we are also on the April sailing, we live in the U.K. At the moment, we are still going, if we cancel we will lose deposit, hotel pre-cruise and parking. Its a dilemma, we don't want to fly anywhere, so Southampton is the only option at the moment, called Celebrity yesterday but was told they are taking it day to day, and if they do cancel it will be very short notice. Keep smiling and waving, as handshakes and hugs are a no no at the moment.

Just tried cancelling for tomorrow's cruise, no FCC or anything. Reason being that there hasn't been a problem in that area (Southern Caribbean). It's all about potential and how this thing has exponentially gotten worse. Can't get refund on plane tickets. Now I have a decision to either lose my 5k and save the potential virus contraction that I could pass on to my toddler and elderly in-laws, or go ahead and have a worry-filled "vacation". I know it's not Celebrity's fault in this but gee, the customer taking the whole burden is brutal.

6 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

Just tried cancelling for tomorrow's cruise, no FCC or anything. Reason being that there hasn't been a problem in that area (Southern Caribbean). It's all about potential and how this thing has exponentially gotten worse. Can't get refund on plane tickets. Now I have a decision to either lose my 5k and save the potential virus contraction that I could pass on to my toddler and elderly in-laws, or go ahead and have a worry-filled "vacation". I know it's not Celebrity's fault in this but gee, the customer taking the whole burden is brutal.

I don't think that area is at any higher risk than the US in general. The only worry I would have is if you weren't able to hit your ports.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

I spoke to celebrity today and they are offering 100 percent FCC for cruises booked from April- July.  We are booked on the Edge in April . She said we needed to rebook  within the year or we would loose it. I think that's appropriate. I would call back and speak to someone else.