Cruise Critic Community
gailellen12

Your medical coverage if you are cruising Europe this spring/summer

Good afternoon:  I just spoke with my insurance company and I am not covered for the Coronavirus if I should choose to take my Med. cruise scheduled for May.  I knew the  cruise  refund angle would be problematic; but the lack of medical coverage if I should fall ill is even more so.  This certainly enters into my decision making process as the next 8 weeks proceed ahead.  Hopefully, for everyones sake, things will be better by then.

We always buy a travel insurance policy that has primary medical coverage, usually $100,000 plus.  We also have MedJet Assist for the year so that with hospitalization, we can be flown back to our hometown healthcare ASAP.

10 minutes ago, OHCruiser said:

primary medical coverage,

The posts on CC have begun about medical coverage.  No surprise.  Cruisers are being told that they will not be covered if they contract the coronavirus.  Is their medical coverage primary or secondary?  And, if one does have primary coverage, is there any assurance that a traveler will be covered if they knowingly travel into an area that the State Department has stated is a risk?

I don't think that any insurance will cover you if there's an official travel warning/advisory/prohibition for an area--and you always run the risk of something like that being announced after final payment, or even during the cruise.

I imagine it's the cost of extended quarantine that causes the companies to exclude coverage for it.

I'm sure that it's going to be a crapshoot for awhile until the settles down.

I never buy the cruise company insurance because the medical coverage is poor, but I may buy it now just so that I can cancel more easily.

4 minutes ago, OHCruiser said:

I never buy the cruise company insurance because the medical coverage is poor, but I may buy it now just so that I can cancel more easily.

I think you have made a good point.

The imposition of a travel alert will trigger the exclusion in your insurance coverage.

From my trip interruption policy with TD Insurance in Canada...

“SECTION 8 – WHAT YOUR INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER – EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS

... Travel Advisories  Any Medical Emergency Condition You suffer or contract in a specific country, region or city for which Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), has issued a formal travel warning, before Your Effective Date, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to that specific country, region or city.

 Note: In this exclusion, "Medical Emergency Condition” is limited to the reason for which the formal Travel Warning was issued and includes complications arising from such Medical Emergency Condition.”

Do note that the exclusion only applies if the advisory is issued before your departure.

This is a very thorough article and worth everyone's time to read and then take action appropriate for your individual needs and preferences. 

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/how-diseases-spread/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&fbclid=IwAR3j3VY1YAwVv8v-9s2JV0TAWkOzwKtvuOKeAEdqVVwf2FePvCwm-mgQfo8

(We have always carried the annual plan with Geo Blue and feel so relieved about still being covered medically)

51 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The posts on CC have begun about medical coverage.  No surprise.  Cruisers are being told that they will not be covered if they contract the coronavirus.  Is their medical coverage primary or secondary?  And, if one does have primary coverage, is there any assurance that a traveler will be covered if they knowingly travel into an area that the State Department has stated is a risk?

^^   That is the pertinent question, in this regard, IMO.  If   one  ignored a legitimate government, notice, is the

refusal   by the insurer  to pay a claim b ased   upon 'contributory negligence, cruiser had verifiable notice of risk and chose to ignore it  to their peril?

Edited by sail7seas

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

e, is the

^^   That is the pertinent question, in this retgard, IMO.  I one  ignored a legitimate government, notice, is the

refusal to pay a claim predicated upon 'contrbiutory negligence, cruiser had verifiable notice of risk and vchose go ignore it gto heir petil?

Sail,

Read HappyInVan's previous post on this thread.  For Canadians and for her insurance, there is a clear statement.  I imagine for United States citizens, that same kind of statement would apply.

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

The imposition of a travel alert will trigger the exclusion in your insurance coverage.

From my trip interruption policy with TD Insurance in Canada...

“SECTION 8 – WHAT YOUR INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER – EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS

... Travel Advisories  Any Medical Emergency Condition You suffer or contract in a specific country, region or city for which Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), has issued a formal travel warning, before Your Effective Date, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to that specific country, region or city.

 Note: In this exclusion, "Medical Emergency Condition” is limited to the reason for which the formal Travel Warning was issued and includes complications arising from such Medical Emergency Condition.”

Do note that the exclusion only applies if the advisory is issued before your departure.

So you are thinking the the "before you effective date" is referring to the date of your departure and not the effective date of your coverage? 

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

So you are thinking the the "before you effective date" is referring to the date of your departure and not the effective date of your coverage? 

I believe the effective date is your departure date.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I believe the effective date is your departure date.  

Depends on the policy.

"Departure" date of cruise?  Departure date that you leave home?  

Some policies cover from the time you purchase them.

Edited by Shmoo here

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Depends on the policy.

"Departure" date of cruise?  Departure date that you leave home?  

Some policies cover from the time you purchase them.

Departure date you leave home (assuming that is the departure date you provided when purchasing insurance.)  You would not be covered for medical under trip insurance until you leave home.  I always purchase insurance from a third party, and am always asked what my date of departure is.  I list the day I am leaving home.  I am not sure how this would work if you purchase insurance directly from the cruise line.  

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

Departure date you leave home (assuming that is the departure date you provided when purchasing insurance.)  You would not be covered for medical under trip insurance until you leave home.  I always purchase insurance from a third party, and am always asked what my date of departure is.  I list the day I am leaving home.  I am not sure how this would work if you purchase insurance directly from the cruise line.  

Typically, if you purchase through the cruise line, it's effective the date the cruise begins.  Or the date you start your trip that's covered by your payment.  For example, if you purchase airfare through the cruise line and you have to fly the day before (due to flight schedules) then you're covered when you depart on that flight.  If you purchase your flight independently for the day before (again due to flight schedules), you're covered from the date that the cruise begins.

Posted (edited)

I've always purchased from an insurance company, typically a banking group's insurance arm. I've always purchased a single policy. I don't see the point of purchasing separate insurance policies for land/sea/air.

AFAIK, the cruise companies don't/can't sell insurance coverage. Only a registered insurance company can write a policy.

Yes, I made a mistake. The effective date is the date you bought your trip interruption policy. The medical insurance starts from the commencement of the journey.

Edited by HappyInVan

We've been talking about trip insurance on this forum. So, I had cut and paste from the trip insurance exclusions. Sorry.

Here's the relevant clause from my medical insurance ...

"Travel advisories

We will not pay any expenses or benefits for Your Medical Emergency or related Medical Condition, if the reason for Your Medical Emergency or related Medical Condition is associated in any way with a written formal travel warning of ‘Avoid all non-essential travel’ or of ‘Avoid all travel’ issued before Your Departure Date by the Canadian Government, advising Canadians not to travel to the country, region or city of Your trip."

7 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

We've been talking about trip insurance on this forum. So, I had cut and paste from the trip insurance exclusions. Sorry.

Here's the relevant clause from my medical insurance ...

"Travel advisories

We will not pay any expenses or benefits for Your Medical Emergency or related Medical Condition, if the reason for Your Medical Emergency or related Medical Condition is associated in any way with a written formal travel warning of ‘Avoid all non-essential travel’ or of ‘Avoid all travel’ issued before Your Departure Date by the Canadian Government, advising Canadians not to travel to the country, region or city of Your trip."

Hmmm.... I guess I'll be giving our Medical coverage provider a phone call on Monday to ask a few questions.