Coronavirus Updates

Beachmomm

It really makes it difficult for those who have a chronic, non-catching cough.  Although I have finally (mostly) conquered my coughing problem, I do still cough some, just nothing like I used to.

Mine is related to allergies (haven't actually had a cold in years; thanks I guess to 20 years teaching), and also, to my surprise, acid reflux, which I didn't even know I had.

Thanks to many allergy shots, pills and sinus surgery, and especially medicine for acid reflux, my cough is now very minor and not too often.  I really feel for those who are in this situation though.

• Like 5

I read a couple reports today showing future cruise bookings (6-12 months out) are down 30%, this number will only increase. This was not only NCL but across the board with other companies 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

I read a couple reports today showing future cruise bookings (6-12 months out) are down 30%, this number will only increase. This was not only NCL but across the board with other companies 

On the bright side, maybe better chances to win upgrade bids for lower cost!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fletch2 said:

On the bright side, maybe better chances to win upgrade bids for lower cost!!

My wife and I are booked on an 11 day on the Jade February 2021. Going to hang onto it for a while and see what happens. No real need to cancel it yet unless with decide to do something closer to home

This has the potential to really impact the cruise industry, but the airline industry is just as bad and I'm not just talking about the Aircraft, we came through MCO the other night and the lines for security were ridiculous lines of people all huddled together a very effective breathing ground for any potential virus.

In the end i suspect this virus is going to run rampant and it will be just another fact of life, people will get it most will get over it unfortunately some probably due to other underlying health conditions won't.

Edited by thwatcher100
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, thwatcher100 said:

This has the potential to really impact the cruise industry, but the airline industry is just as bad and I'm not just talking about the Aircraft, we came through MCO the other night and the lines for security were ridiculous lines of people all huddled together a very effective breathing ground for any potential virus.

In the end i suspect this virus is going to run rampant and it will be just another fact of life, people will get it most will get over it unfortunately some probably due to other underlying health conditions won't.

Companies are starting to tell their consultants to just work from home until the virus stops spreading.  That's going to have an impact.  Last week my husbands flights showed they were fully booked online, but there were empty seats on the plane.  He had the whole exit row to himself.  

The other thing to remember about the coughing and sneezing is that it is already allergy season here in the south.  Many people traveling from the north will be hit hard with the pollen counts that are near record highs in cities like here in Savannah and Houston.  Just the other day, the pollen count in Houston was 1600 and Savannah was 1100.  The air is thick with it right now and anyone with any sensitivity at all to it will be a mess.  Unfortunately, I know this first hand.  🤧

• Like 6

SANTA ROSA (KRON) – A local emergency has been declared in Sonoma County after a person has tested presumptive positive for the coronavirus, the Sonoma County Department of Health Services announced Monday.

Authorities said the patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico. The patient, who has been in Sonoma County for 10 days, is showing symptoms of coronavirus and is currently in stable condition and under isolation at a local hospital.

I think the saddest news is that the deaths in the US have gone from 1 to 5 today.  I think the important thing to consider is that for most, affected by the Covid-19 have had minimal affects.  Most seem to recover and move on without issue.  

Considering the potential for a "SARS-like" pandemic, this seems to be very well controlled.  Only time will really tell though.  In Canada, we have labs working on a vaccination as well, so WHO knows what will come of that. 

Keeping updated, pretty easy:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I wish everyone a safe and happy cruise and hope that, while this virus seems to be very serious, I remain optomistic for all my fellow cruisers.  

Washy - washy has never been more important. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Reading this article calm my nerve somewhat about the virus lurking unseen in America:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

This is the quote from the WHO expert:

"

More of a surprise, and this is something we still don’t understand, is how little virus there was in the much broader community. Everywhere we went, we tried to find and understand how many tests had been done, how many people were tested, and who were they.

In Guangdong province, for example, there were 320,000 tests done in people coming to fever clinics, outpatient clinics. And at the peak of the outbreak, 0.47 percent of those tests were positive. People keep saying [the cases are the] tip of the iceberg. But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population. And that’s different from flu. In flu, you’ll find this virus right through the child population, right through blood samples of 20 to 40 percent of the population."

It’s not. It can be the big one but like, for flu — whether you have a pandemic with flu, it’s a function of the virus. That’s a virus with a very, very high infectivity rate, a very, very high transmissibility rate. The time [the virus] takes to go from [one person to the next] can be as short as 1.5 days. For Covid-19, it’s longer — four to five days. Look around the world. We’re seeing a whole bunch of outbreaks controlled with the right responses, and even turned around if they get to a bad state.

Originally, I was a big believer in the idea that we should swab millions and see what’s going on [how many have the virus]. But the data from China made me rethink that. What could be done instead is that every hospital should test people with atypical pneumonia for Covid. People with flu-like symptoms — test for Covid."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

The other thing to remember about the coughing and sneezing is that it is already allergy season here in the south.  Many people traveling from the north will be hit hard with the pollen counts that are near record highs in cities like here in Savannah and Houston.  Just the other day, the pollen count in Houston was 1600 and Savannah was 1100.  The air is thick with it right now and anyone with any sensitivity at all to it will be a mess.  Unfortunately, I know this first hand.  🤧

Yes my patio furniture is yellow and can’t clean it off or it will really set my allergies on fire 

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

It really makes it difficult for those who have a chronic, non-catching cough.  Although I have finally (mostly) conquered my coughing problem, I do still cough some, just nothing like I used to.

Mine is related to allergies (haven't actually had a cold in years; thanks I guess to 20 years teaching), and also, to my surprise, acid reflux, which I didn't even know I had.

Thanks to many allergy shots, pills and sinus surgery, and especially medicine for acid reflux, my cough is now very minor and not too often.  I really feel for those who are in this situation though.

Same concern here, although the allergy I fear most is to perfume - so on the plane, in the theater, or on an excursion I run the risk of exposure.  And sometimes that triggers my autoimmune system, so inflammation which can sometimes cause a low fever.

But like you, no colds or flu in years, thanks to that same slightly dysfunctional but super vigilant autoimmune system.

5 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

So Royal has already banned people from Italy, Iran, China, Korea from boarding. Why isn't NCl doing this as well?

who said they werent.. have you visited their website?

• Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau or South Korea within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
    • Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel.
    • The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and US CDC for this virus is 14 days.
  • We have implemented enhanced pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation for all guests. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary.
  • Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.
  • We have also implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all voyages. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place.
  • Certain countries have put into place additional restrictions for port entry and passenger disembarkation. These often include denying entry to Chinese passport holders or requiring additional medical documentation or screenings. Guests who are on voyages impacted by port restrictions will be notified prior to sailing.

The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities as well as the WHO and US CDC. 

26 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

• Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau or South Korea within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
    • Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel.
    • The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and US CDC for this virus is 14 days.
  • We have implemented enhanced pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation for all guests. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary.
  • Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.
  • We have also implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all voyages. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place.
  • Certain countries have put into place additional restrictions for port entry and passenger disembarkation. These often include denying entry to Chinese passport holders or requiring additional medical documentation or screenings. Guests who are on voyages impacted by port restrictions will be notified prior to sailing.

The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities as well as the WHO and US CDC. 

Well, No Iran or Italian region.

We were planning on booking a cruise with NCL for this spring or summer but have decided to hold off until we see what happens with corona virus. See what areas it hits and what ports might refuse ships. Just not willing to take the chance of infection, cruise cancelation or cruise disruption. Will wat and see how it goes. We both work in healthcare and we are now preparing for an epidemic just in case. Might not be allowed to take the time off if it hits.

• Like 1

Why yes I have. Still don’t see Italy. Lots of people visit Italy then get on cruise ships. And also fly back home. RC has banned them from boarding which seems like the smart thing to do.

1 hour ago, KarimaJ said:

Why yes I have. Still don’t see Italy. Lots of people visit Italy then get on cruise ships. And also fly back home. RC has banned them from boarding which seems like the smart thing to do.

NCL now bans Iran and Italy as well:

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We have proactively implemented several preventative measures outlined below due to growing concerns regarding COVID-19 infections. We will continue to consult with The World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and take appropriate additional action as needed. 

Policies currently in place include:

• Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy under a quarantine order by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ within 14 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
  • We have implemented enhanced pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation for all guests. This includes non-touch temperature screenings for all guests and any guests with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C will be denied boarding. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary.

At this time, we have modified, cancelled or redeployed a number of sailings and none of our vessels are calling to ports in mainland China. In addition, we do not have any vessels deployed in East Asia through the end of the third quarter.  We also have the flexibility to alter our itineraries as needed to avoid areas of concern. As always, we will closely monitor the situation and take appropriate action as necessary.

We apologize for the inconvenience to any guests affected by these measures put in place to ensure the safety and well-being of all our guests and crew. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

So Royal has already banned people from Italy, Iran, China, Korea from boarding. Why isn't NCl doing this as well?

Fake news re NCL....they absolutely have implemented such ban, albeit for Italy it is the areas quarantined by their authorities! 😉

NCL now bans Iran and Italy as well:

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We have proactively implemented several preventative measures outlined below due to growing concerns regarding COVID-19 infections. We will continue to consult with The World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and take appropriate additional action as needed. 

Policies currently in place include:

• Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy under a quarantine order by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ within 14 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
  • We have implemented enhanced pre-boarding health reporting and evaluation for all guests. This includes non-touch temperature screenings for all guests and any guests with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C will be denied boarding. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary.

At this time, we have modified, cancelled or redeployed a number of sailings and none of our vessels are calling to ports in mainland China. In addition, we do not have any vessels deployed in East Asia through the end of the third quarter.  We also have the flexibility to alter our itineraries as needed to avoid areas of concern. As always, we will closely monitor the situation and take appropriate action as necessary.

We apologize for the inconvenience to any guests affected by these measures put in place to ensure the safety and well-being of all our guests and crew. 

Ahhh there it is I must be blind. Wonder what will happen with my cruise out of Venice this summer? Hopefully things will have settled down by then.

I wonder how they are going to handle people staying in Venice before boarding? Won't they be exposed? I was told last night that anyone that has travelled to Italy will not be allowed to board.... but we literally have to travel to Italy to board?

Why aren't cruises 3 mos or less out, being given the opportunity to get 100% refunds since the CDC has said essential travel only?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

RCLs travel ban for Italy is more extensive and protective than NCLs. NCL finally got around to posting it's policy on the homepage. Details of both policies can be reviewed on the respective webpages.

More extensive.....probably!

More protective.....evidence??

28 minutes ago, babydaryl24 said:

Why aren't cruises 3 mos or less out, being given the opportunity to get 100% refunds since the CDC has said essential travel only?

Cancellations with refunds negatively impact NCLs bottom line and that is the primary focus of NCL. The virus, as a whole, is negatively impacting the entire travel industry.