Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Beachmomm

Coronavirus Updates

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Cecruise said:

We are scheduled to cruise out of Rome on 5/13.  Just found out today that DH’s workplace requires anyone that has visited Italy to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks upon return. 😩

We got the same note around the same time today.  Does he work for an energy company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, aprilF said:

We got the same note around the same time today.  Does he work for an energy company?

No, he works for a large financial company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cecruise said:

No, he works for a large financial company.

So I am guessing we will see lots of companies issuing this directive very soon then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aprilF said:

So I am guessing we will see lots of companies issuing this directive very soon then.

I work for a big box store - on Friday they announced the same policy but anyone who has to self quarantine will be paid in full for the 2 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

I work for a big box store - on Friday they announced the same policy but anyone who has to self quarantine will be paid in full for the 2 weeks

That's what I'm talkin about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

I work for a big box store - on Friday they announced the same policy but anyone who has to self quarantine will be paid in full for the 2 weeks

If all companies did that it would work but most companies won’t pay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgium had cases specifically that had traveled to Venice, today, according to World O' Meter....... How long can NCL ignore this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, babydaryl24 said:

How long can NCL ignore this?

 

I don't really get it either, Venice is on a US no travel advisory and yet NCL (a US company) are happy to travel there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Is NCL a US company? Ships are registered in the Bahamas, not US with the exception of POA, of course.   

Where the ships are registered is immaterial.  NCL is an American company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 2:46 AM, blcruising said:

Read carefully....the policies are different. One is more extensive and protective than the other.

 

NCL ....Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy under a quarantine order by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs within 14 days of their voyage embarkation are not allowed to board

 

RCL.....

 

Until further notice, ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

 

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy in the past 15 days.

 

b. Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

How in the world will the Mediterranean season start next month with these kind of restrictions? We are meant cruise the Med in May on Getaway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 2:46 AM, blcruising said:

Read carefully....the policies are different. One is more extensive and protective than the other.

 

NCL ....Guests and crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy under a quarantine order by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs within 14 days of their voyage embarkation are not allowed to board

 

RCL.....

 

Until further notice, ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

 

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy in the past 15 days.

 

b. Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

How in the world will the Mediterranean season start next month with these kind of restrictions? We are meant to cruise the Med in May on Getaway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Us too, for our honeymoon. We leave for Rome the day after our wedding, and catch the cruise on May 18. Slightly freaking out, but we did take out insurance (not CFAR though, as we got the insurance way after the 21 day window). We aren't planning on canceling ourselves though. The only way we won't go is if there are travel restrictions that prevent us. 

 

Slightly nervous about catching the virus, but (luckily) we are overall pretty healthy, so we would just quarantine ourselves and take whatever measures we would have to to prevent spreading to others. I do, however, worry about being quarantined in Italy, so far from home.

 

We have just over two months - selfishly, I hope this gets under control in time for us to enjoy our honeymoon with no hiccups. Overall, I hope and pray that this gets eradicated for those with compromised immune systems that could fall extremely ill to this virus. 

 

4 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

How in the world will the Mediterranean season start next month with these kind of restrictions? We are meant to cruise the Med in May on Getaway. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks who are traveing in May and June, no point in making adjustments just yet. You won't really know where things stand until you get closer to departure time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snowrose said:

Folks who are traveing in May and June, no point in making adjustments just yet. You won't really know where things stand until you get closer to departure time.

Yup. We travel June 20 from Barcelona to Rome. I won’t start worrying until the beginning of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JC5240 said:

Us too, for our honeymoon. We leave for Rome the day after our wedding, and catch the cruise on May 18. Slightly freaking out, but we did take out insurance (not CFAR though, as we got the insurance way after the 21 day window). We aren't planning on canceling ourselves though. The only way we won't go is if there are travel restrictions that prevent us. 

 

Slightly nervous about catching the virus, but (luckily) we are overall pretty healthy, so we would just quarantine ourselves and take whatever measures we would have to to prevent spreading to others. I do, however, worry about being quarantined in Italy, so far from home.

 

We have just over two months - selfishly, I hope this gets under control in time for us to enjoy our honeymoon with no hiccups. Overall, I hope and pray that this gets eradicated for those with compromised immune systems that could fall extremely ill to this virus. 

 

 

First, congratulations on marrying your soulmate ( I hope) and second, good luck having the cruise of a life-time.  If you and your loved one are healthy and have no problems with your immune systems, you should be fine.  Don't let all the hype get in the way your wonderful cruise. 

 

Best of luck with your lives together. 

Cheers and here's to you and I'll drink'er meself. 🥂

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

How in the world will the Mediterranean season start next month with these kind of restrictions? We are meant to cruise the Med in May on Getaway. 

Make sure that you're not running any kind of fever when flying home. Effective immediately, if you have a fever and try to board a flight to the US, you will be denied boarding and spend some additional time in Italy.  Notice from Department of State.

 

 

U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy March 4, 2020

Location:  Italy

Event:  The Government of Italy has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.  As of 12:00 AM March 3, all passengers on U.S.-bound flights whose temperature is higher than 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit are not being permitted to board.  Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairsfor additional information on these new measures.  Travelers who are not permitted to board should follow the instructions of the Italian authorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This stinks. Wanted to book a cruise for this spring or fall but now will not until I see what happens with this virus. Great deals available but obviously because no one knows what is going to happen and is hesitant to book. I hate it but am also hesitant to book anything until I see how bad or not this will get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, Vyhanek said:

I think Coronavirus is on the ships.     I think its inevitable with so much of the crew being asian.    

 

Im just off the Pearl, cruising in the Caribbean.    There was a lot of coughing......a lot.   Is it Corona?    I don't know but there was something that swept the ship.   I wouldn't be surprised if in the next week or two its revealed that there is an issue.      Its going to be an issue with all ships who employ people from Asia.  

 

These employees worked the holiday busy season on the ships and then the ship lets a lot of them go on their yearly break in January because its less busy.    Now that it's late February they are returning back to the ships from their vacations back home.    I really wouldn't be surprised.

I got off the Pearl last Thursday and I didn't notice any people coughing and sneezing.  I thought The crew was amazing the way the were constantly cleaning.  I felt very safe on this cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has there own level of risk but every day the problem goes up exponentially.  I’m young and healthy but my foreign travel plans can wait.  Why risk the chance of putting yourself into a situation that can be somewhat prevented.  We canceled out future cruise at a financial loss but I don’t care.  The virus is only partially the problem.  It is every thing that goes with it and the continuous changing environment.  Why bother.  Different risk tolerances for everyone but for me I don’t need to put myself in a preventive situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Everyone has there own level of risk but every day the problem goes up exponentially.  I’m young and healthy but my foreign travel plans can wait.  Why risk the chance of putting yourself into a situation that can be somewhat prevented.  We canceled out future cruise at a financial loss but I don’t care.  The virus is only partially the problem.  It is every thing that goes with it and the continuous changing environment.  Why bother.  Different risk tolerances for everyone but for me I don’t need to put myself in a preventive situation.  

Well said. We are booked on the Escape TA to Rome on 4/18. Booked return won AA with NCL. I’ve heard AA isn’t flying into Italy at this point. So many potentially problems. I’m worried. 

Edited by Montanagirlalways
Clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Well said. We are booked on the Escape TA to Rome on 4/18. Booked return won AA with NCL. I’ve heard AA isn’t flying into Italy at this point. So many potentially problems. I’m worried. 

Good chance your trip will be canceled a and hopefully you will get a full refund if the company is not bankrupt. Regardless once the decision is made you know it was the right one and all the worries go away instantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummed out.  We were doing our 15 anniversary getaway italy/greece cruise and totally splurged with Haven...used miles to get business class flights to Dublin first a few days, then fly to rome, then back to the UK and then back to the US.  We're very healthy as well- although I will say that this past Nov. we caught something nasty that knocked us out for the first time EVER.  I got pneumonia and husband was in the hospital for a few days with a collapsed lung.  Not being able to breathe was super scary and not fun.  Took about three weeks to get things started back to normal.  And we are in excellent health...so it worries me when dh's work tells them today that they are putting restrictions on Italy and being advised not to go there.

 

I hate to change plans because maybe we won't be affected and if we are quarantined, at least we have a nice room.  But our kids will be with family and it complicates things.  Also even if we opted to swap cruises, we might have the same issues, seeing as it has made its way to the US.  And prices have gone up so I doubt we can get the same room for a swap...most likely they will say "here's the value you paid, you can apply it"...our same room on the med cruise now is almost $3,000 more.  

 

So at this point not sure what we will do...we'll be out flights if we switch, and not sure it will do much good to switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...