Cruise Critic Community
SargassoPirate

55+ And I No Longer Feel The Need To.......

As I approach 70 and am still an avid cruiser, there are certain things that I used to think were almost mandatory or things that I would obsess about prior to the cruise.  I do still obsess about cabin location and whether there is a wrap-around promenade, but beyond that I'm pretty well satisfied by most any day on the ocean.  I no longer feel the need to.....

Be the first on or off the ship.  As long as I get on before the ship sails, I'm good.

Attend every production show.  I find most of them annoyingly over amplified anyway.

Use a lounger on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a lounger on the promenade much more.

Get off the ship in every Caribbean port.  Been there, and they all start to look alike anyway.

Use ship excursions.  Some of my best days have been walking around the port city and discovering a small coffee shop or cafe to enjoy.  Beats marching to the tour guide's clock on a crowded excursion bus.

Eat evening meals in the MDR.  I find it much more relaxed to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR, and then have a light evening meal in the buffet.  Frees up a lot of m y time in the evening also.

To a youngster, I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but one of the beauties of cruising is that you are free to enjoy the cruise and the ship in your own way.

How about you?

Sounds about right....the more you  do something, the more WHAT you enjoy about it changes!  

Everyone is different, no matter what age----I am 61 but even when I was younger I never felt the need

to attend all the production shows.

As for dinner, my last few cruises have not offered a dinner buffet but I love being served on a cruise, so dining

in various restaurants has been good to me:classic_smile:

You don't sound like an old curmudgeon  to me----we all have our preferences.  It is your cruise after all.

Doing what is best for ourselves is the way to do it!:classic_biggrin:

It often seems as the the CD is trying to force people to do stuff, and to the extent that he tries to get people moving and into different activities, I guess they are trying.  The thing to remember is that it is your trip, do as you please, and just enjoy.

28 minutes ago, bbwex said:

It often seems as the the CD is trying to force people to do stuff, and to the extent that he tries to get people moving and into different activities, I guess they are trying.  The thing to remember is that it is your trip, do as you please, and just enjoy.

Hi,:classic_smile: that must be on the big ships....my last 4 cruises have been on small ones and the CD has never tried to do that at all.:classic_smile:

They figure you can read your daily newsletter and see what is being offered.

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

As I approach 70 and am still an avid cruiser, there are certain things that I used to think were almost mandatory or things that I would obsess about prior to the cruise.  I do still obsess about cabin location and whether there is a wrap-around promenade, but beyond that I'm pretty well satisfied by most any day on the ocean.  I no longer feel the need to.....

We have something in common. I am turning 70 in May and have only been on 2 cruises and they were with someone. I am thinking of doing a cruise to Alaska by myself and just have to find the right one at the right price. Wont be going to May of 2021 though.

Posted (edited)

We go our own way.  Always have in business and personal matters.  Never felt the need to conform simply because others do.  I cannot say that I have ever obsessed with anything on a cruise.  The one exception to that was keeping track of where our children were at any given time on the ship.

In retirement I think we care even less about doing, dressing, or acting in a certain way. 

Edited by iancal

On 3/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

...one of the beauties of cruising is that you are free to enjoy the cruise and the ship in your own way.

ABSOLUTELY!

We do still try to be on board early, but mostly because we need to meet with the dining room host about DW's special dietary needs.  We often cruise with friends (who we have met on cruises) and as we dine together we do usually enjoy the dining room.

Enjoy cruising!

...try to do everything on a cruise. Relaxing is good.

....pose for photos getting on the ship at embarkation, off the ship in ports of call, and while trying to eat dinner.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Use a lounger on the Melanoma Deck.  I enjoy a lounger on the promenade much more.

🤣🤣🤣

This is me.  I always marvel at the chair-hog threads... because I'll be over there enjoying the sea breezes & my blender drink in the SHADE  

One of the great joys of a cruise vacation is that there are so many choices, so that we can all tailor our time aboard to what we would like.
It's something that cruise lines know and deliver very well.

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 6:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Be the first on or off the ship.  As long as I get on before the ship sails, I'm good.

Attend every production show.  I find most of them annoyingly over amplified anyway.

Get off the ship in every Caribbean port.  Been there, and they all start to look alike anyway.

Use ship excursions.  Some of my best days have been walking around the port city and discovering a small coffee shop or cafe to enjoy.  Beats marching to the tour guide's clock on a crowded excursion bus.

Eat evening meals in the MDR.  I find it much more relaxed to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR, and then have a light evening meal in the buffet.  Frees up a lot of m y time in the evening also.

To a youngster, I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but one of the beauties of cruising is that you are free to enjoy the cruise and the ship in your own way.

How about you?

I have never been obsessed with the cruising lifestyle,  so I won’t miss cruising..other kinds of leisure travel for me. 😁
Do
 you think this Covid-19 pandemic is a way of “thinning the herd”, either through natural selection, or if you are religious, is God’s/Jehovah/Mohammed, plan?

Safe travels however that might be.🙏

Edited by Justalone

Seriously?  No I don't think that...….

How about you?

I agree with the majority of your points and I am a bit older than you.

68 here

Only want to be on early to enjoy a good embarkation day lunch

Never cared about shows. Only ever went to them to please ladies I was with.

Never had any interest in loungers anywhere

Never felt I had to get off. Did most of the time, though.

I've taken them, but never felt I had to. Enjoy walking around on my own as you say.

I eat all meals in the MDR, not because I felt I had to but because I wanted to. Buffets on board a ship are demeaning.

Agree.

How about you?

I felt this way at 21. Haven't changed.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

How about you?

I'm 71 and you stated my sentiments exactly.  I'm tired of visiting the same old "approved" tourist traps selling their cheap Chinese junk souvenirs.  One never gets to see the real country or people.  It's all canned or prepackaged tourism.  Most disliked: Nassau.  Visit when there are five cruise ships in port and then tell me about all the wonderful things you saw and did.

Been there, and done that too many times!

^+1

Agree completely.   That is why, since retiring nine years ago we have done far less cruising and far more international independent land travel.   We are quite ambivalent as to whether we will ever cruise again.