MSC: Corona Virus and Cruising

Host Carolyn

For those who may not be following the happenings in California -

1) grand princess is quarantined. 21 have tested positive. 

2) carnival panorama did not clear for debarkation. Embarkation passengers were already in terminal. Passengers had vacated cabins only to be allowed to return later. Bars and entertainment reopened. Still Waiting on test kit results.

3) royal princess let everyone debark but stalked embarkation. Eventually cancelled entire cruise and sent embarkation folks home. Apparently there is a crew connection between the infected Grand and ROyal.

Its a flipping mess and I’m starting to believe we have lost all logic. Some are speculating USA has put pressure on cruise lines to cancel as a result of this afternoons meeting.

Msc will likely be taking these events into consideration as they make a cancellation policy. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For those who may not be following the happenings in California -

1) grand princess is quarantined. 21 have tested positive. 

2) carnival panorama did not clear for debarkation. Embarkation passengers were already in terminal. Passengers had vacated cabins only to be allowed to return later. Bars and entertainment reopened. Still Waiting on test kit results.

3) royal princess let everyone debark but stalked embarkation. Eventually cancelled entire cruise and sent embarkation folks home. Apparently there is a crew connection between the infected Grand and ROyal.

Its a flipping mess and I’m starting to believe we have lost all logic. Some are speculating USA has put pressure on cruise lines to cancel as a result of this afternoons meeting.

Msc will likely be taking these events into consideration as they make a cancellation policy. 

Thanks for the update Bermuda. 

Do you see a common thread above as I do? Why in the H E double hockey sticks would you cross contaminate and move crews among ships right now???? I read they moved crew off the Diamond on other ships!!! Seriously?? Unreal. 

• Like 1

I have never sailed princess or carnival but there are alot of current and recent passengers complaining about hygiene on their forum

Plus the fact they move crew around on a regular basis is definitely not the norm for other cruiselines.

I heard aruba denied port entry yesterday to a ship not sure which ship yet.  Not good.  The feds have definitely stepped in as they dont want us resources to be stuck handling the thousands of passengers from their ships when they should be focusing on health issues on land.

What a mess!

• Like 1

BB ... Regal Princess has also had the next sailing cancelled, Royal and Regal both have crew members who transferred from the Grand over 14 days ago and at the last minute the CDC decided they wanted tests done on the 3 crew members despite them all being outside of the 14 day period. Hence 2 cancelled cruises.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It makes no sense.

did you hear ruby princess is being held up in  Sydney? That’s 3 today, and there is still Sunday turn over to deal with tomorrow.

BB ... Copied this from  a Princess group elsewhere.

I just want to dispel any false rumours being spread that Ruby Princess's cruise has been cancelled. Ruby was only delayed due to extra medical screening. She has just left Sydney harbour as of 11.50pm Sydney time.

If you don't know something, don't say anything!!

Cheers 1f642.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Plus the fact they move crew around on a regular basis is definitely not the norm for other cruiselines.

Are you sure about this? I believe most lines move crew around quite regularly, especially lines building new ships. Not trying to be argumentative, but I've never read that the CCL grouping moves crew more than any other.

I totally agree~ a mess.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you sure about this? I believe most lines move crew around quite regularly, especially lines building new ships. Not trying to be argumentative, but I've never read that the CCL grouping moves crew more than any other.

I totally agree~ a mess.

Most of my recent sailings in the Caribbean have been with royal caribbean.  Their crew members enter into an employment contract with specific ship for either 6 or 9 months.  When their contract coming time for renewal some opt to stay on ship while others may post for job on a different ship.

Ie waitress we got to know and enjoy has been on serenade ots for 2 or 3 years.  Her contract is up this spring and she will go home for couple of months and was asking for job on freedom ots.

Bartender on grandeur we really liked just renewed his contract with anthem ots.

So they only move around when employment contract is up and based on availability for job they may want on another ship.

It sounds like princess regularly moves their crew from ship to ship depending on their needs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It sounds like princess regularly moves their crew from ship to ship depending on their needs.

Under 'normal' circumstances, I believe you would find that Princess crew also enter into ship contracts just like RCL. I believe that It's the corona craziness that has caused more recent movement.

With that said, I thought that the Diamond crew were getting two months off with pay. I have no idea how some of them ended up on Regal and Royal since it hasn't been two months yet; but that would explain crew movement as the Diamond is currently out of circulation. So much we aren't privy to.

New policy just added to MSC UK site. NOTE The Temperature change to  37.5 C !

NEW ENHANCED PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES FOR ALL GUESTS AND CREW

UPDATE 9 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures, and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below:

Rigorous pre-embarkation illness screening:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, has been denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any of the following regions and provinces in northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: region Lombardy, and the following provinces: Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro Urbino, Venice (Venezia), Padova, Treviso, Asti, Vercelli, Novara, Alessandria and Verbanio Cusio Ossola.

• Guests with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥37.5 C°/99.5 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing have been will be denied boarding. The same rules applied to their travel companions;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, has been denied boarding;

• MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening to exclude persons who may be at risk;

• Guests with Chinese passports who have not travelled mainland China Hong Kong o Macao in the last 14 days and are in good health may board the ship. However in some countries local may deny access to holders of Chinese passports or who have travelled through some affected countries.

Keeping the ship free from infectious diseases:

• Throughout the cruise, at ports of call, guests and crew embarking and disembarking will be frequently checked by thermal cameras for fever symptoms;

• In addition, there has been and will continue to be an elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in our entire fleet. There is increased hand-washing for guests and crew, alcohol-based hand-sanitizers across the ship, increased continuous disinfection of public areas – especially frequently touched areas such as handrails, elevator buttons, door handles and reception desks.

At this point we can confirm there have been no cases of coronavirus on board any of our ships but we need your help to reduce the risk of infection by exercising the following routine precautions:

Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, and help young children do the same. Where soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. If a tissue is not immediately available, cough or sneeze into your upper arm.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid personal contact, such sharing cups or eating utensils, with sick people.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, sidari said:

New policy just added to MSC UK site. NOTE The Temperature change to  37.5 C !

NEW ENHANCED PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES FOR ALL GUESTS AND CREW

UPDATE 9 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures, and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below:

Rigorous pre-embarkation illness screening:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, has been denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any of the following regions and provinces in northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: region Lombardy, and the following provinces: Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro Urbino, Venice (Venezia), Padova, Treviso, Asti, Vercelli, Novara, Alessandria and Verbanio Cusio Ossola.

I'm surprised South Korea hasn't been added to the list.  They have as many cases as Italy and Iran.  Maybe because they seem to be containing it better?

Edited by CruisinCrow

CM ... Instead of one policy covers everyone MSC currently have Two different versions that contradict each other! once again it seems that the Left Hand does not know what the Right hand is doing ie US 38 C, UK 37.5 C  to deny boarding.

Sid,

its a nightmare and no one knows if they are updating cancellation policy in line with other lines with multiple ports closed around the world.

we are supposed to be on Dubai to Yokohama resposition but with Malaysia and Sri Lanka closing ports that is a fair chunk of cruise gone after first itinerary change but no update whatsoever from MSC!!

1 hour ago, Tara619 said:

That’s my normal. So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This worries me a little too.  Also, our last time on MSC we waited outside for a while in the YC tent before they took us in thru security.  Could being out in the heat for a period of time, or even just rushing around, (a hot flash??) cause my temperature to go up?  

Any medical professionals out there who could weigh in on this?