Cryptozoology Museum in Portland

Named-Tawny

It's about 3-4 miles from the cruise port.  It is really hokey, full of the kind of stuff you see in Ripley's Believe it or Not, or the old Barnum freak shows.  Having said that, the Thompson Point area where it is located has a brewery, winery, and distillery, some good eats, and some arts programs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As long as my cruise happens I am going there. It is a must see for me but will probably be somewhat hokey. Then again it's not like I haven't been to other hokey attractions before. 

• 1 year later...

I see that this is an old post from 2020, but my family did visit the Cryptozoology Museum when we visited Portland, Maine a few years before the pandemic. We weren't on a cruise then; my husband's work brought him to give a lecture at a local scientific institution.

Here's a link in case that helps another traveler: https://cryptozoologymuseum.com/

I'd agree that the Cryptozoology Museum is not for everyone. A little goofy/hokey, as stated by @AFS1970. Then again, my goofy family plans to visit the Penis Museum when we are next in Reykjavik, Iceland, so some of us particularly like the oddball, science-adjacent sites.

Admission for adults is $10, kids are $5, and babies (in arms or strollers) are free, which seems fair and reasonable to this mom.

I probably would not visit Portland, Maine just to see the Cryptozoology Museum. On the other hand, as part of a day walking around that pleasant, colorful neighborhood in the small city of Portland? Yes, it is a fine stop to add to a day of sightseeing. My kids enjoyed it more than the historic home tour I liked better. (This should surprise no one who's ever met a prepubescent boy.)

There was a coffee bean roastery and a place making mead also within walking distance of this museum. It's been too long for me to recall the names or details, but, all-in-all, plenty to see and do on foot in this compact, historic city, and much of it quirky fun or delicious. If all of this is a few miles from the port, I'd say it is worth it for most tourists to head in this direction to enjoy the best of downtown Portland, ME. Geeky types, like me, might add the Cryptozoology Museum to their "must see" list.

--willo

• 3 months later...