Tipping

shyla100

I would just like to get some peoples opinion on tipping on a Seabourn cruise.

When we last cruised I was under the understanding that you did not tip. Which to us is wonderful because in Australia we are not as tipping people as The USA.

When we have been to the states we never know how much to tip and sometimes  the tip is included bill and then I notice people still leave a tip.

On our last cruise  we received wonderful service as always and I wrote down peoples names so when at the end of the cruise I could make sure that I have recommend them.

We also gave to the crew fund.

I was embarrassed when on saying good buy to some of the crew people were handling them tips .

As we are booked on a cruise at the end of April I would just like to get peoples ideas on what is the correct thing to do.

Thanks for any advise

Like you we are not used to tipping and believe part of the fare price includes tips. Could be wrong about that though

We have only used the crew fund as showing our appreciation

Edited by Thecat123
  • Like 2

We do the same as cat, though in the Spa we tip because they are a private contractor and have different rules as far as I know. On the odd occasion if we have had extra care by our stewardess we have tipped but this is dependent on over and above service. 

I must say I find it uncouth that people were being so obvious with tipping that you could observe them doing so. 

Julie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah, tipping - the never-ending story...

Tipping Seabourn employees (concessionaires not included) is a strictly personal choice and is neither expected, recommended, or required. It's more about the tippers than anyone else and generally reflects their desire to -

- give an extra reward for exceptional service (tough to judge on Seabourn - it's all pretty exceptional),

- comply with their own cultural ethos, or, worst case but too frequently, 

- show others that they are "all that."

In no case should tipping choices be known to anyone other than the tipper and the recipient; anything else is (at best) tacky.

If you don't feel comfortable tipping individuals (which may or may not be equitable and is not Seabourn's policy) but still feel you should do "a little extra," Crew fund donations are a good alternative. Again, no need to advertise; it's nobody's business but yours.

Jus' sayin'...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We normally just give something to our stewardess as anything else ( other than the crew fund) is a bit random as so many staff provide excellent service.

D

5 hours ago, saminina said:

Well,  four out of four correct posts on tipping ethos should be a record.

Do we really need more thoughts on the subject?

Sure, I'll weigh in. 

Seabourn is awesome because tipping is not expected. That much being said, if my cabin steward goes above and beyond what is normally expected of a steward, I'll leave a little something extra at the end of the cruise.

On one cruise, we hosted a cocktail party in our cabin that the steward helped with. She got my wife an extension cord for the room because it didn't have enough outlets to support a cell phone charger,  a curling iron and blow dryer at the same time (something my wife desired). And she shined a pair of dress shoes without me asking her to because she overheard my wife comment they looked a little worn.

That steward got a little something extra. But, do not ever feel the need to tip extra on these cruises. That's the beauty of Seabourn.

• Like 2

Am I the only one a little frightened of the fire danger with TV Dad’s wife using a curling iron and a blow dryer with an extension cord?   Even worse if she was using both at the same time.   The stewardess should be reprimanded not tipped if she provided the extension cord for that use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Am I the only one a little frightened of the fire danger with TV Dad’s wife using a curling iron and a blow dryer with an extension cord?   Even worse if she was using both at the same time.   The stewardess should be reprimanded not tipped if she provided the extension cord for that use.

Absolutely you should be frightened. We have set fire to many cruise ships over the years and actually sank two. For your safety and my sanity,  Please never cruise with us. 😁

Edited by TV Dad
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is something that is a constant problem especially for new entrants to Seabourn after more mainstream lines where tipping is the norm. I remember on my first Seabourn cruise years ago I was one of the people who did tip, and I must say discreatly some of the team who I felt went the extra mile for me. I would also add that some of the team did try to refuse. However I then found out about the crew fund, I really do feel that this is by far the best way for me to show my appreciation, I feel also that everyone benefits from all the hard work that is done on our behalf. I realised that the tender assistants who help us on and off the boats, the deck hands who smile and say Good Morning along with a myriad of people that we never get to know are just as important to ensuring that our holiday goes well. I do however feel that our room steward/ess does deserve something more personal, we tend to try to buy them a little gift when we go ashore mid cruise and I do confess that if we are well looked after, which has been on every cruise I do actually like to do a special financial thank you. This is such a personal and difficult topic and is so hard to talk about even on these boards. I know it has been discussed many times before but even though I have now done about 150 days aboard I would like to hear from a few of the really regular guests and see what they feel is the best policy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rl787 said:

.... I know it has been discussed many times before but even though I have now done about 150 days aboard I would like to hear from a few of the really regular guests and see what they feel is the best policy.

Although I only have 2 weeks on Seabourn, I have about 160 days on Regent and about 60 on the Paul Gauguin, both of which have similar policies for tipping.

We never tip, and always donate to the crew fund.

I have heard that Regent is contemplating telling their staff that they may not accept tips. I instinctively dislike overreaching management, but in this case perhaps that is a reasonable idea.

• Like 3

Not the first time this subject has come up on the Seabourn board...  The policy is: Tipping is not required nor expected.  I agree w/ my friends Ka Honu & frantic36 comments above.  I too have seen people make a not subtle presentation, sometimes obviously trying to draw attention to themselves.  On our last cruise one of our favorite bartenders, from multiple cruises, was in the Obs Bar and the last night of one segment I must have seen 12 or more people hand him cash.  On our last night a handshake and a few laughs were what we shared.  Whether or not he knew we made a contribution to the crew fund I have no idea, and it did not matter.  Every evening when we arrived we were greeted with the same "Mr. & Mrs. (knowing our last name) what can I get you?", never with an expectation that this time we would give him some cash at the end of the cruise.   While I understand some people, because they directly interface with their personal things, feel their stewardess deserves something special - I think they are doing their job just as much as waiters, line cooks, bar tenders, maintenance folks, security, etc.  People just have a more personal connection with their stewardess.  We always contribute to the crew welfare fund as opposed to deciding some individual(s) deserve something special, as that way our contribution rewards all the hard working crew.

• Like 1

Thank you , it does make me feel that as giving to the crew fund is the best for all, as every crew member benefits.

I would hate to think that we are treated as well as we are by the crew,  thinking that they expect a tip at the end of our trip. 

• Like 1

I understand that  the concept of tipping in non-tipping cultures drives people crazy.  Admittedly, even for folks like us from the US, tipping can make us crazy.  Whenever we arrive in a new country, I google to find out the tipping culture, and even after that I still worry that I am being ungenerous and weird.  Probably the curse of coming from the US where we tip and tip and tip. 

On Seabourn we give tips to our stewardess if she is exceptional and we have given a few extra dollars to beverage staff who have treated us with special kindness.  But we do not make a big deal of it and we try to honor the idea of the all-inclusive non-tipping system on Seabourn.  I honestly think there is no correct answer to this issue.

[300 days, Diamond, male 71]

On more occasions than I can now recall, I have asked of she-who-does-our-room so nicely and smiles lots whether she is going ashore today and, if I get a Yes, we ask her to buy herself something for being so nice to us and then hand over $100 in the local currency (which I have got about me before leaving Perth and, and this is important, which she-who etc. may not be able to get at short notice). 

A day or two later I may make inquiries as to whether she was able to get something she liked and the inevitable answer is that she and Simone and inaudible went to a cafe/Bar and had a good time.  

Now, in recent years, the number of times that I have been able to spend $100 and, by myself, enable one, let alone three, younger ladies to have a good time of it are: 0.

And, on one occasion of fond memory, my wife and I while having mid-day beers in Hawaii, saw three-such having, nearby, the best fun with my $100.  I believe I had more fun knowing it to be so.  I seem to recall I saw other times...

So, you may, if male, want to do yourself a favour - and do so for the room-lady too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, tv24 said:

On Seabourn we give tips to our stewardess if she is exceptional and we have given a few extra dollars to beverage staff who have treated us with special kindness.  But we do not make a big deal of it and we try to honor the idea of the all-inclusive non-tipping system on Seabourn.  I honestly think there is no correct answer to this issue.

You, and others should try harder to honor the idea of the all-inclusive non-tipping system on Seabourn.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saminina said:

You, and others should try harder to honor the idea of the all-inclusive non-tipping system on Seabourn.  

I will make a determined effort to do so!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the Cruise Critic boards for other cruise lines with similar tipping policies, tipping is also a perennial topic.   On those boards, the discussion almost always immediately descends into a bunch of rabid name-calling. Good on you folks on this board for keeping the discussion reasonably civilised.

A small anecdote about tipping and different cultures that is not directly relevant but perhaps amusing.  Some years ago I was on a small out-island in French Polynesia (Manihi) staying at a lovely resort.  Being me, on the first night I went to the bar for a refreshing beverage and, being a North American, I left a tip for the bartender.  The next night I went back seeking another refreshment, and the bartender was really angry with me.  I had to sweet talk her to get a beer!  Finally I got her to admit that she was insulted that I had left a tip; this violated the norms of her culture.  The only way I could make it up to her was to allow her to buy me and my wife a drink after she got off her shift. Then all was well for the rest of my stay.

This cultural norm is not really true any more in the big city (Papeete) but echoes of it persist in the rest for French Polynesia.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Some years ago I was on a small out-island in French Polynesia (Manihi) staying at a lovely resort.  Being me, on the first night I went to the bar for a refreshing beverage and, being a North American, I left a tip for the bartender.  The next night I went back seeking another refreshment, and the bartender was really angry with me.  I had to sweet talk her to get a beer!  Finally I got her to admit that she was insulted that I had left a tip; this violated the norms of her culture.  The only way I could make it up to her was to allow her to buy me and my wife a drink after she got off her shift. Then all was well for the rest of my stay.

A lovely anecdote though sadly French Polynesia's sense of honour has been replaced - at least in Bora Bora and Moorea - by a sense of acceptance of North American heedless hand-outs.   Sadly, that gorgeous resort on Manihi closed several years ago.

Well, as a general rule its always 5-10%. In the states its always 10%, in Europe its always 1-5 euros depending on your check. I would suggest leaving just 5 to 10%. Its more than enough. To be honest I am not that of a tipping person either even though I worked a pizza delivery boy myself many  years ago. I mean there are situations where tips are appropriate and almost a MUST. But in some cases you may not even leave a tip if you dont want to. I also hate places that include service charge in the check. Its so frustrating. Its like overpaying or paying extra even if the service does not deserve it

• Thanks 1

Given we have lots of sea days  I about such things here in the Sojourn, I decided this was the year I was going to try something different for myself. 
 Given the circumstances we are under,  the staff has been just fabulous, and so my main points of thanks has been by making two nice donations to the staff fund up to now, and a maximum so far of $20 to each of those who have been kind and helpful. 
  My thinking has always been that if I’m prepared to pay $25k/$50k for a Seabourn vacation, real cash in the hands of the staff and crew that needs it is probably a good thing. I li,e the policy that you don’t have to tip a cent if you do not wish to, and I have not felt that services to my wife and myself have suffered by not ha ding out $100 bills li,e I have felt on other lines. 
 I think the staff appreciates the $20s, doesn’t make a lot of money, and the passengers can give or not give if they desire. 
I have been thanked often for the staff donations by those upstairs, I think it’s the best way to go, although individual thank you’s are very much appreciated. 
To each his own, Bette rto give than to receive 

• Like 1