Any recent cruisers notice less people due to virus?

2 hours ago, CruiseWendy said:

The future bookings desk was packed everyday on Harmony two weeks ago.  Busiest I’ve ever seen it.

Many cruisers likely also had concerns about their future bookings.   Royal is trying hard to deal the changing situation. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I can tell you for a fact that future cruise bookings are down.  Ask any large travel agency.  Are they down short term..no, are the ships still sailing full in the Caribbean...yes however this has definitely impacted future bookings.

NCL for one has already come out and stated that they will not lower pricing because of this and I expect Royal to do the same.  There are already a lot more rates available to travel agents at discounted rates than there usually are.  Royals not about to drop prices drastically across the board very far into the future at this point.  If this continues another 6 months it could very well be a different story

Exactly.  I would expect the cruise lines to definitively state they won’t be lowering prices, ala a poker bluff.  Why would they telegraph any potential contingency pricing plans in advance?

Many people have multiple cruises planned each year.  Majority of them are probably very savvy as to pricing/getting the best deal. Those who aren’t deterred as to the CV at this point, & are considering this a buying opportunity of sorts...not so fast.

Cruise lines know they need to deter those would cancel existing cruises they have planned with the idea of flipping them to a latter date. I’m talking frequent cruisers who have the flexibility & are willing to shift their sail dates forward several months in order to book a potential fire-sale rate on a cruise

At least for the foreseeable future, wherein many are past final payment dates, the lines can likely absorb losses in on board spending from those who don’t show up at port.  Have been told that for many cruises, the liquor sales are what make the sailing profitable.  Might not be the same saving grace on a ship sailing 1/2 or 3/4 full.

It’s the bookings that aren’t of the NRD sort, those sailings a month or two prior to final payment, that the lines will use to calculate  an accurate forecast of cancellation percentages.

• Like 1

Usually would have 4-6 future cruises booked by this time of year; only have 1 this month and 1 in July, booked last year, and have not made any new deposits in calendar year 2020.  Tons of deals out there and daily getting emails from "travel partners" about what is ahead and messaging to clients.  The cruise going this month has a lot of availability.  I am not anticipating an empty ship but may not feel crowded  

6 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Exactly.  I would expect the cruise lines to definitively state they won’t be lowering prices, ala a poker bluff.  Why would they telegraph any potential contingency pricing plans in advance?

Many people have multiple cruises planned each year.  Majority of them are probably very savvy as to pricing/getting the best deal. Those who aren’t deterred as to the CV at this point, & are considering this a buying opportunity of sorts...not so fast.

Cruise lines know they need to deter those would cancel existing cruises they have planned with the idea of flipping them to a latter date. I’m talking frequent cruisers who have the flexibility & are willing to shift their sail dates forward several months in order to book a potential fire-sale rate on a cruise

At least for the foreseeable future, wherein many are past final payment dates, the lines can likely absorb losses in on board spending from those who don’t show up at port.  Have been told that for many cruises, the liquor sales are what make the sailing profitable.  Might not be the same saving grace on a ship sailing 1/2 or 3/4 full.

It’s the bookings that aren’t of the NRD sort, those sailings a month or two prior to final payment, that the lines will use to calculate  an accurate forecast of cancellation percentages.

We currently have 4 cruises booked on Royal over the next 7 months. All of them have dropped in price recently. This is a big change from just several weeks ago when all of them (at least balcony cabins) had increased in price. I think all cruise lines will lower their prices if needed to keep their ships filled close to capacity. 

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We currently have 4 cruises booked on Royal over the next 7 months. All of them have dropped in price recently. This is a big change from just several weeks ago when all of them (at least balcony cabins) had increased in price. I think all cruise lines will lower their prices if needed to keep their ships filled close to capacity. 

We just have a short one on Mariner, an add on to a disney trip with my GD.  

The 1-D (corner aft cabin), dropped to under $150 for 3 pp on 2/23.  

I quickly grabbed it and flipped the cruise fare to NRD. However, I also have cancel for any reason TI.

Same cabin this am priced $200 higher.  Rates appear to still be fluctuating. 

Predict they will lower the prices via flash sales, quietly and gradually

Edited by keishashadow

I have 5 cruises booked in the next year.  Anthem in March, Indy in May, Allure TA in Nov, Navigator Mar 21, and Oasis Mar 21.  I monitor all of them constantly and none have gone down.  I have balcony staterooms booked and see pricing for Guarantees similar to what I booked by reserving a stateroom.  Bottom line, no price drops for me yet.  🤞

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I'd be curious why it would be the busiest ever seen in any case.

It's not like there are massive bargains right now, and I can't imagine people are going coronavirus, health checks, cancelled cruises... let's book!

Busiest ever seen by anyone, ever? Or just by you?

Edited by time4u2go

Was on Mariner Feb 10-14. I don't know what the numbers were, but it seemed to me like it was not at capacity.

• No problem getting deck chairs on Lido deck
  • No problem getting seated at any time in Main Room
  • Lineups for waterslides and VR trampolenes were no more than 15 minutes, usually
  • Other than the Piano Bar (which was constantly overflowing with standing room only), all the nightlife seemed dead
  • Coco Cay did not feel crowded, despite 2 ships docked

Maybe that's just how they run the Mariner, but I kinda doubt it.

Well you will probably find some great deals soon.  Princess will probably have great discounts soon with 2 of their ships out of commission for 2+ months or longer.  Passengers on the Grand will be quarantined on the ship for 14 days.  That could be you.  I suspect most ports will be turning ships away until this is over.

Just got off Symphony of the Seas this past Saturday. 6,600-plus pax and 2,200 crew. Everyone seemed extra cautious about hand-washing. I brought extra Lysol wipes and wiped down our cabin every day (door knobs, tv remote, balcony railing, etc.). Didn't eat in any of the main dining rooms or Windjammer. Did all specialty dining, which helped avoid germs being spread by people coughing/sneezing on food. I was constantly washing my hands. Enjoy your cruise. Just take precautions.

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Odd that you've been replying, incorrectly, to each post I make then.

No, my replies have not been incorrect. They have been exactly what I intended them to be. 😁

Edited by time4u2go