Currently sailing on Oasis - I didn’t cancel 🎉

Food 🤔. Disclaimer : food is subjective. My opinion only.

I will say the WJ food is mediocre. The MDR has been hit or miss, more on the miss side. Our table mates are amazing so the overall MDR experience has been great.

There is NO horseradish onboard. I am told there is a shortage (there’s none) fleet wide. So, if you enjoy prime rib or the roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe, don’t expect to find any horseradish. The same goes for shrimp cocktail sauce, it’s now ketchup with wasabi mixed in lol 😂.

So far we have not been to any specialty restaurants, mainly because we really enjoy our MDR table mates. That being said, I plan to order a Chops steak tonight to go with my lobster 🤗

5 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I will say the WJ food is mediocre. The MDR has been hit or miss, more on the miss side. Our table mates are amazing so the overall MDR experience has been great.

There is NO horseradish onboard. I am told there is a shortage (there’s none) fleet wide. So, if you enjoy prime rib or the roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe, don’t expect to find any horseradish. The same goes for shrimp cocktail sauce, it’s now ketchup with wasabi mixed in lol 😂.

So far we have not been to any specialty restaurants, mainly because we really enjoy our MDR table mates. That being said, I plan to order a Chops steak tonight to go with my lobster 🤗

The cocktail ketchup, RCI's idea of a lobster, and the bags of soft serve chemicals, should have their own special place on the menu.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, zalusky said:

I am just looking at forecasts.  I am more curious about current experiences from my fellow cruisers.

I am also curious how the water temp feel is at Coco Cay since we are going to Snorkel there.

We were at Coco Cay monday and it was windy and cold...but sunny. I thought the water was very cold. I think the high was 72

16 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

We were at Coco Cay monday and it was windy and cold...but sunny. I thought the water was very cold. I think the high was 72

Thanks that kind of correlates with the weather reports I have been seeing.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The cocktail ketchup, RCI's idea of a lobster, and the bags of soft serve chemicals, should have their own special place on the menu.

That’s hilarious 😂 I’m laughing out loud here on the pool deck as we sail past El Morro on our way back out to sea...

Did I mention that the pizza at Sorrento’s is outstanding?  2 thumbs up for thin crispy crust.

1 hour ago, ckrobyn said:

OH!  I did not understand that "cocktail sauce" on the final night in the WJ!  Where were my lumps?  But when I (cautiously) tried it, I was pleasantly surprised it had a little zip, and wasn't actually just ketchup.  Guess that was the wasabi.

5 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

My current view.... everything is ok in the world from this vantage point *sigh*

How does the ship look after her refurbishment? Does it look like a new ship? Are you pleased with the improvements? How's the staff treating you?

2 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

I saw Sheniqua (sp?) and told her you said hello - she said, “oh! You mean Andrew and Lisa?” 😊

Love her. She is such a treat. 

2 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

Uhm.... lol No! Would Lisa? There’s your answer my friend 😉

For sure.... not!  This was her a Christmas surprise. She has already scouted the LV stores on Maui. 🤦‍♂️

3D1E4D67-BB59-4C02-9065-3CCD2FEAB32D.thumb.jpeg.4752d3ea08e113f5e6d34057b09bd1c8.jpeg

16 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

My current view.... everything is ok in the world from this vantage point *sigh*

*sigh*, how about this for a view at a balmy 5C. 

D9A2FD2D-B22E-4869-AE8B-2E1AEE95D306.thumb.jpeg.33bd17fd16da45626c39be15a8566672.jpeg

Well I made the opposite decision this morning and will not show up for our cruise on Saturday.  I would have flown tomorrow.

My thought process given that my wife immunosuppressed from a fresh new happy kidney transplant was and it was hard :

• California declared a national emergency
  • San Jose is affected more than most places
  • Santa Clara county has recommended older people avoid large events
  • There has been little testing compared to other countries so we really don't know how bad it is
  • Another cruise ship is stuck off of our coast and they are flying in test kits
  • Pence is supposed to meet with cruise industry on Saturday - what will happen there?
  • Points of risk to get there and back: Uber, Multiple Airports, Hotel, Cruise Ship Buffet, Packed Theaters, Ports of call - Yea we haven't heard much yet for the Caribbean but one Fup is all it takes
  • Having to go into some isolation from my wife when I get back - how long before I am sure. It would be longer than the cruise
  • We are both 65+

So yes the probability maybe still low but the nuisance and worry factor is high and we are still running on lack of knowledge with a government running under a reduced budget that takes time to get back up to speed.
Maybe in a couple of months things will level off and recover like China but I believe we are still on upward trend.

And oh year the waters at Coco Cay are still pretty cool.  🙂

Does anybody know how Royal handles things if you don't show up regarding port fees, taxes and prepaid excursions.  Do they automatically refund it?  Do you have to contact them in advance/later or just SOL?

Edited by zalusky
additions
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Love her. She is such a treat. 

For sure.... not!  This was her a Christmas surprise. She has already scouted the LV stores on Maui. 🤦‍♂️

3D1E4D67-BB59-4C02-9065-3CCD2FEAB32D.thumb.jpeg.4752d3ea08e113f5e6d34057b09bd1c8.jpeg

*sigh*, how about this for a view at a balmy 5C. 

D9A2FD2D-B22E-4869-AE8B-2E1AEE95D306.thumb.jpeg.33bd17fd16da45626c39be15a8566672.jpeg

Okay, that bag is gorgeous, and secondly I’m coming to your pool this summer. Just sayin’.

52 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

How does the ship look after her refurbishment? Does it look like a new ship? Are you pleased with the improvements? How's the staff treating you?

Oasis looks great! The amplification enhanced the family experience for sure. I really love the addition of Playmakers on the Boardwalk, and the elevator buttons are now touch screen which is kinda neat. The crew are wonderful, our waiters in the MDR are attentive and eager to please. 

36 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Does anybody know how Royal handles things if you don't show up regarding port fees, taxes and prepaid excursions.  Do they automatically refund it?  Do you have to contact them in advance/later or just SOL?

Port fees, taxes, prepaid excursions, prepaid gratuities and any cruise planner purchases will automatically be refunded 5-7 days post cruise. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

This was her a Christmas surprise. She has already scouted the LV stores on Maui. 🤦‍♂️

Andrew, pls. explain ... Did she or did she not?? Seems like Lisa has my taste in Vuittons [pics not quoted], as I also "prepare" myself before hitting a LV store😁

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Well I made the opposite decision this morning and will not show up for our cruise on Saturday.  I would have flown tomorrow.

My thought process given that my wife immunosuppressed from a fresh new happy kidney transplant was and it was hard :

• California declared a national emergency
  • San Jose is affected more than most places
  • Santa Clara county has recommended older people avoid large events
  • There has been little testing compared to other countries so we really don't know how bad it is
  • Another cruise ship is stuck off of our coast and they are flying in test kits
  • Pence is supposed to meet with cruise industry on Saturday - what will happen there?
  • Points of risk to get there and back: Uber, Multiple Airports, Hotel, Cruise Ship Buffet, Packed Theaters, Ports of call - Yea we haven't heard much yet for the Caribbean but one Fup is all it takes
  • Having to go into some isolation from my wife when I get back - how long before I am sure. It would be longer than the cruise
  • We are both 65+

So yes the probability maybe still low but the nuisance and worry factor is high and we are still running on lack of knowledge with a government running under a reduced budget that takes time to get back up to speed.
Maybe in a couple of months things will level off and recover like China but I believe we are still on upward trend.

And oh year the waters at Coco Cay are still pretty cool.  🙂

You totally don’t need to justify your reasons for canceling. Rebook when the dust settles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

There was never a doubt. You’re the exploring and action type of guy. My action is walking around LV 😂

Any idea how much time I spend planted in a chair at Labadee? Hint.... don't count too high.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Any idea how much time I spend planted in a chair at Labadee? Hint.... don't count too high.

About as long as it would take me to to say no to cave tubing in Belize. 

• Haha 1