Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
pmck

Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Mwins78 said:


Did it seem like the boat was empty...do u think people cancelled on that sailing


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship seemed full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sharonna3 said:

Yep! I asked myself....self will you be able to sit comfortably at the bar, without taking out your clorox wipes and wiping it down? or not freak out in the theater if a person sitting within 10 ft of me coughs or sneezes? Just cancelled our very special April cruise. .

I just cancelled our 5 day cruise that was leaving on the 20th, my lungs have always been fragile and I'm very sure that if I caught this virus it will be dangerous for me but another reason we cancelled was because my husband has a chronic dry cough, we have been to a couple of doctor's, they have done many tests and still don't know what causes his cough....but we would be uncomfortable knowing that when he starts coughing it would cause other people on the cruise to be understandably concerned, for both of those reasons we will wait until another time to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slr817 said:

I just cancelled our 5 day cruise that was leaving on the 20th, my lungs have always been fragile and I'm very sure that if I caught this virus it will be dangerous for me but another reason we cancelled was because my husband has a chronic dry cough, we have been to a couple of doctor's, they have done many tests and still don't know what causes his cough....but we would be uncomfortable knowing that when he starts coughing it would cause other people on the cruise to be understandably concerned, for both of those reasons we will wait until another time to go

It sounds like it was good that you cancelled. I was reading something online from someone who had the current corona virus and he said it was a dry cough for him. Your husband could have possibly been denied boarding. And with you having fragile lungs, it really sounds like the right decision.

 

I am on a cruise now and still have a cruise in April. I still plan on going and feel completely comfortable on the ship. People have been washing their hands and using hand sanitizer like crazy. That’s more than I can say for any other public place. I  am much more concerned about the airport and am glad my flight home is direct. I think it’s a good idea for anyone with health issues to be extra vigilant in public places.

 


 

 

Edited by TNcruising02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Same email for FL teachers. 

I haven't seen this for Orange County teachers yet. I've looked on FLDOE and OCPS websites...is it posted somewhere? We have until tomorrow to cancel ours for the 48hr rule. 🙂 Thanks for any tidbits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jatdowning said:

I haven't seen this for Orange County teachers yet. I've looked on FLDOE and OCPS websites...is it posted somewhere? We have until tomorrow to cancel ours for the 48hr rule. 🙂 Thanks for any tidbits!

I’m not teaching anymore. Someone in my 3/21 cruise just got notified yesterday by her Principal. She is a teacher in FL also. 
It’s not just cruising, it is going ANYWHERE outside the USA. 
I would have a friend not in the school system call the Orange County School Board and ask if they are participating in the state recommendation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I really believe that there should be a shift in thought.  We could be through this much easier if we sequester/quarantine the most vulnerable in the population to the virus for 60 - 90 days and let the virus run through the rest of the population during that time.  This would just get it over with and allow “normal” life to return sooner.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

I’m not teaching anymore. Someone in my 3/21 cruise just got notified yesterday by her Principal. She is a teacher in FL also. 
It’s not just cruising, it is going ANYWHERE outside the USA. 
I would have a friend not in the school system call the Orange County School Board and ask if they are participating in the state recommendation. 

Do you mind letting us know what county your friend is in? My wife is a teacher in Broward county and they have been told no such thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

At this point, I really believe that there should be a shift in thought.  We could be through this much easier if we sequester/quarantine the most vulnerable in the population to the virus for 60 - 90 days and let the virus run through the rest of the population during that time.  This would just get it over with and allow “normal” life to return sooner.  Thoughts?

The experts are saying that the best thing to do is to flatten the curve by limiting the rate of infection. It would take longer to run its course but the day-to-day numbers would be more manageable. Our health care system cannot sustain a sudden spike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mwins78 said:


Did it seem like the boat was empty...do u think people cancelled on that sailing


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on this sailing and it was a full ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jknc said:

LATEST: Health advisers will recommend Trump raise US travel alert to Level 3 for entire EU. This would mean Americans should avoid everything but essential travel to Europe and should self-quarantine for two weeks.

 

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1237801491840278534?s=20

Not sure why

 

The US is gonna be worse soon. Since you dont have enough tests and started testing late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soloadventurer said:

WHO has now declared it a pandemic 

Was going happen, nothing different from last week. Was only matter of time, it's what they do to release money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are no way prepared.   One million tests for three and a quarter million people!  And what happens to all the uninsured citizens?  They will not /or are unable to pay out of pocket to find a doctor to prescribe a test.   

Edited by gadaboutgal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from Kuwait.  Although we don't have many infected (72 as of today), Schools and universities were closed for 2 weeks.  Today, it was announced that the whole country will shut down for the next 2 weeks, and all commercial flights to be suspended. Borders with Iraq and Saudi Arabia were closed earlier in the week.

 

There is so much fear, mainly when seeing the sharp increase in confirmed cases in Europe.

 

The family plans on travelling to the US in July/August.  So far, we haven't talked about cancelling that trip but we will get to it next month probably, when it becomes clear if the virus is under or out of control.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure if this has been posted already but seems the travel advice has changed slightly with regards to Caribbean itineraries. 

 

Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

....

d. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan 20 days prior to embarkation.

 

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

 

e. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through Thailand, France, Germany, and Spain 20 days prior to embarkation

 

Edited by Mark_UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Not sure if this has been posted already but seems the travel advice has changed slightly with regards to Caribbean itineraries. 

 

Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

....

d. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan 20 days prior to embarkation.

 

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

 

e. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through Thailand, France, Germany, and Spain 20 days prior to embarkation

 

 

Sounds impossible to implement. Especially the "been in contact with" bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Not sure if this has been posted already but seems the travel advice has changed slightly with regards to Caribbean itineraries. 

 

Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

....

d. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan 20 days prior to embarkation.

 

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

 

e. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through Thailand, France, Germany, and Spain 20 days prior to embarkation

 

What does Royal do. Refund or future cruise credit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monthend said:

What does Royal do. Refund or future cruise credit

"All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any pre-cruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is one of the things they are talking about.  On a few news feeds

 

The cruise industry's proposal to the U.S. federal goverment could include a provision that restricts passengers aged 70 and over from boarding who do not have written consent from a doctor, according to sources familiar with the plan, and a report by CNBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all should be concerned but people are going nuts.  Went to several stores yesterday and almost every shopper had at least 4 cases of water in their baskets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Trump suspends travel from Europe to U.S. starting this Friday at midnight which includes cargo for 30 days.

Edited by flyguyjake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since he has excluded the UK from this ban, does this mean anyone in Europe can just travel to the US via London ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...