Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

I’d be more concerned on getting the flu as 50k people die a year from the flu.    
The news is making this way more than it really is.   

enjoy your vacation. It’s the safest time to cruise as their cleaning even more now.   

• Like 5

Several say they are worried....were they equally worried with the other recent crisis? Ebola, MERS, SARS, Bird Flu, Zika, annual flu virus....I mean each year it is something else. So far in the scheme of things, this Corona virus isn't even remotely close to the outcomes of any of the previous mentioned.  Anyways,  I  wonder if all those worrying themselves knew about the asteroid 2020DD4 which missed us earlier today?

• Like 6

Most topics are people concerned about being infected with the Virus.....what about others on the ship. They may have Flu like symptoms, not necessarily the Carona Virus.

Then there are issues of quarantine, or ship being denied access to certain ports.
CDC also advises close social contact....on a cruise ship? Really?

I'm mostly concerned about my cruise being interrupted.

Also, as a side note...looked at my Container of Lysol wipes, which are maybe 1-1/2 old, and Corona is listed. So this is not a new thing.

32 minutes ago, B-52 said:

Also, as a side note...looked at my Container of Lysol wipes, which are maybe 1-1/2 old, and Corona is listed. So this is not a new thing.

Coronavirus is a whole class of viruses.  SARS was also a coronavirus.  They just used that name at the beginning for this because it didn't have a formal name.  Now it is officially called Covid-19 instead of the generic coronavirus name.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pmck said:

Good Morning,

My family and I are booked for a May, 2020 cruise out of Puerto Rico. Every day more and more stories are on the news about the Corona Virus.

I'm trying not to over react, but it is a little scary.  What do you think?  I'm thinking that maybe the screening process getting on the ship will be more comprehensive.

My husband thinks that we won't have any issues, but we still have to get through 69 days and who knows what can happen in that time..:classic_wacko:

NOT AT ALL, seriously. Then again, we haven't had cable news or television for over three years now. Don't pay or feed into the hype that this is serious. The thing has a 98 percentile survival rate and the common cold still kills more than "this" does. What is REALLY sickening is the hearsay, conjecture and political spin this event has taken.....but it IS entertaining at times, reading how people panic over it...

• Like 3

My concern is not getting sick on the cruise, but that getting back into the US might be an issue if just one other person on the ship tested positive...or had the flu. That concern may be a trip stopper. 

• Like 2

My only current concern is not the virus itself, it's the FULL PANIC surrounding the virus.  

I'm sailing this Saturday out of Miami on Symphony.  Is it safe to assume that the only scenarios where RC gives a full refund for a cruise is when they themselves cancel a cruise?  

Edited by Margin Walker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

if this is declared as a "pandemic", which would mean travel insurance cover is null and void if the cruise is cancelled.

As I understand it, they won't cover you (unless you have cancel for any reason coverage) if *you* choose not to go because you are afraid of getting sick.

But if you can't go because of Corona-related reasons outside of your control (ex: your flight is cancelled because the airlines decide to quit flying to Florida so you can't get to the ship, or you miss half your vacation because you can't go to your next destination because the ship is under quarantine), then you're covered.

Beyond that, I agree with you entirely. I'm not afraid of getting sick. I'm mildly concerned that some aspects of my upcoming March cruise will be impacted because of needless panic. I've seen 3 (might be more by now) cases where Caribbean islands have refused to allow ships to dock because someone on board had flu-like symptoms. 

Well, I mean, there are more than 5,000 people on that boat. *Someone* is always going to have a cough. It'll be annoying if shore days get cancelled out of needless fear.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, johnjen said:

NOT AT ALL, seriously. Then again, we haven't had cable news or television for over three years now. Don't pay or feed into the hype that this is serious. The thing has a 98 percentile survival rate and the common cold still kills more than "this" does. What is REALLY sickening is the hearsay, conjecture and political spin this event has taken.....but it IS entertaining at times, reading how people panic over it...

The common cold and the flu combined doesn't kill 140,000,000 people per year. Covid-19 is presumed to have a 2% mortality rate and that's 2% of the population.

At present very little is known about this disease. How it effects the population, once you are better do you still technically have it or did your body kill it off? This is a pretty big one, because if you still technically have it, that means every new born is going to get it forever. Maybe it only kills 2% of Asians. Maybe it's 10% of african decent and 70% of anglo saxon. Maybe it will act exactly like the current flu and come back every year a little bit different. Every year we will have Covid-19 season and watch another 6 million people die, because gee 98 percent of the folks will survive. No big deal. Or will it be, because this year it is you, your wife, or child that is one of the unlucky.

Maybe as a disease it is nothing and the best course of action should be everybody try to infect as many people as possible to get this thing over with. The biggest problem right now is, it's an election year, both sides are going to be looking to score points off the other about how it should be handled and how they would have grounded planes last week, and not quarantined some city as soon as it was, etc, etc, ad nauseum. 

That's what should worry you, do you have 2 - 4 weeks worth of supplies at home? What are you going to eat when your town in Virginia is locked down under a mandatory quarantine? Trust the national guard to bring you food and water? Maybe if it is a good day they will give you a little toilet paper.

I'm not saying everyone should panic, I grew up in the country. Every thunderstorm we would fill up the bath tub with water, just in case. Not once did it ever come down to being used, but I was glad we had in there just in case. This country is supplied by just in time inventory, shut the trucks down for a week, grocery stores are going be emptied and stay that way for a long while.

I have no problem being called an alarmist, or profit of doom. If those calling me that are right, I just have a bit extra food and water, it will get used eventually. If I'm right, well. I tried to warn them, didn't I.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

The common cold and the flu combined doesn't kill 140,000,000 people per year. Covid-19 is presumed to have a 2% mortality rate and that's 2% of the population.

Mortality rate refers to people who die from the disease, and is limited to people with the disease.

In other words, if 100 people get Disease X, and it has a mortality rate of 100%, that doesn't mean the whole world dies, it means 100 people die.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

At present very little is known about this disease. How it effects the population, once you are better do you still technically have it or did your body kill it off? This is a pretty big one, because if you still technically have it, that means every new born is going to get it forever. Maybe it only kills 2% of Asians. Maybe it's 10% of african decent and 70% of anglo saxon. Maybe it will act exactly like the current flu and come back every year a little bit different. Every year we will have Covid-19 season and watch another 6 million people die, because gee 98 percent of the folks will survive. No big deal. Or will it be, because this year it is you, your wife, or child that is one of the unlucky.

Maybe as a disease it is nothing and the best course of action should be everybody try to infect as many people as possible to get this thing over with. The biggest problem right now is, it's an election year, both sides are going to be looking to score points off the other about how it should be handled and how they would have grounded planes last week, and not quarantined some city as soon as it was, etc, etc, ad nauseum. 

That's what should worry you, do you have 2 - 4 weeks worth of supplies at home? What are you going to eat when your town in Virginia is locked down under a mandatory quarantine? Trust the national guard to bring you food and water? Maybe if it is a good day they will give you a little toilet paper.

I'm not saying everyone should panic, I grew up in the country. Every thunderstorm we would fill up the bath tub with water, just in case. Not once did it ever come down to being used, but I was glad we had in there just in case. This country is supplied by just in time inventory, shut the trucks down for a week, grocery stores are going be emptied and stay that way for a long while.

I have no problem being called an alarmist, or profit of doom. If those calling me that are right, I just have a bit extra food and water, it will get used eventually. If I'm right, well. I tried to warn them, didn't I.

Lol yeah if every single person had the virus. Do you not know what mortality rate means? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HalfHand said:

I hear the weather service is hiring....you would make a great addition for this years Hurricane Season. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't understand why everyone is still trying to compare it to the flu.  It doesn't compare.  Have we ever forced quarantine on a cruise ship because of the flu?  Have we ever stopped planes from flying because of the flu?  The Louvre is closed.  Disneyland Tokyo is closed.  They played a soccer game with no fans.  This makes me wonder how much they aren't telling us.  They wouldn't do these things if it wasn't serious.  They lost tons of money.  I agree it's mostly the elderly and immune suppressed at risk.  I'm not worried about myself.  I am worried that I will carry it home to my parents and other older relatives. 

• Like 12

apparently the warmer it gets the less chance the virus has to survive. I trust the cruise line (Celebrity) to closely monitor the situation and will let passengers know well in advance if anything needs to be cancel or not . The last thing they want is a ship with the virus on board. 

• Like 2

I'm more worried abot being quarantined but the question is where would they quaranteen me?  I'm specifically driving from Toronto to take a cruise from Cape Liberty, so don't have to worry about flying back and forth in case the cruise is cancelled.

I'm cruising springbreak, so I'm sure it will be a horde of germs flying around (including my kids). Not sure if there is a right answer.

1 hour ago, briternik said:

I don't understand why everyone is still trying to compare it to the flu.  It doesn't compare.  Have we ever forced quarantine on a cruise ship because of the flu?  Have we ever stopped planes from flying because of the flu?  The Louvre is closed.  Disneyland Tokyo is closed.  They played a soccer game with no fans.  This makes me wonder how much they aren't telling us.  They wouldn't do these things if it wasn't serious.  They lost tons of money.  I agree it's mostly the elderly and immune suppressed at risk.  I'm not worried about myself.  I am worried that I will carry it home to my parents and other older relatives. 

Very well said Briternik.  this is not the flu.  there is no vaccine for it yet so it is very dangerous.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

(spoiler alert the media tends to overhype pretty much every thing they cover).

For example, Zika.  It was 24x7 coverage for awhile, and then nothing.  They have the attention span of a gnat.  No offense to gnats.

• Like 4

I have to agree with those that feel Covid-19 shouldn't be compared to the flu or a cold at this point.  When major tourist attractions like the Louvre close, airlines are willing to offer credit for flights, and large corporations are cancelling European travel there is a reason. Maybe those of you traveling to the Caribbean aren't too worried - yet, but how about those of us that are cruising somewhere in Europe in the next 30 days?  Our flights take us through Italy where we will be spending a night.  The cruise departs from Athens where there are only 7 confirmed cases, yet they are discussing the possibility of closing schools and churches throughout Greece.  It's not just a matter of being worried about getting the virus myself, but it feels irresponsible to travel with people that are coming from all over Europe and risk the possibility that any one of us could be spreading the virus further.  I really hope that the cruise lines follow the lead of major airlines and at least offer some credit to those of us that don't think it is worth the risk to ourselves and others.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PowellFraser said:

My concern is not getting sick on the cruise, but that getting back into the US might be an issue if just one other person on the ship tested positive...or had the flu. That concern may be a trip stopper. 

Agree completely...

• Like 1